Delete

Lupus

Honorary Master
A 1.4 Citi Golf won't give you better fuel economy to be honest, you also won't find one for that price unless it's falling to pieces.
Look at cars within the 100k mark and you'll only be paying maybe R2500pm on those, your insurance will drop as well as the replacement value of the car is lower, you will also probably find a car with better fuel economy as well.

gamer16

Executive Member
Old small cars were perhaps economical for their time, things like the Citi the tazz and the Corsa but compared to modern stuff they aren't good at all, I mean I get about 11 12 k's per liter in my Corsa.

UrBaN963

Executive Member
Agreed with Lupus. Scaling down isn't a bad idea necessarily, but a Golf isn't a safe car, that's a poor choice in so many ways.

If you're in JHB PM me, might be able to help you out.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Old small cars were perhaps economical for their time, things like the Citi the tazz and the Corsa but compared to modern stuff they aren't good at all, I mean I get about 11 12 k's per liter in my Corsa.
Yup they were only more frugal because you were comparing them against bigger engines that weren't fuel efficient for the time. I mean if I look at my 1997 Astra vs my 2012 Cruze, which is far bigger and heavier but with the same size engine, the Cruze wins on fuel economy and a bit more power.

Asgard85

It could work but I think you need to be a little more conservative with your figures. R30k for a relatively safe and reliable replacement car is not reasonable and aiming to save R7k on the exercise is a bit ambitious IMHO.

I would make sure that if you are going to replace your car that you do so with something reliable. It is pointless saving on a car payment if you are going to have to redirect that cash to fixing the replacement. I think Lupus is bang on.

Where you win with a citigolf or similar is the insurance, you'll be heck of a lot cheaper though they are a bit of a target for hijackers.

I'd suggest a Mazda2, they're very economical, have (some) safety features and are not as big a target as Citi/Tazz.

gamer16

Executive Member
Yup they were only more frugal because you were comparing them against bigger engines that weren't fuel efficient for the time. I mean if I look at my 1997 Astra vs my 2012 Cruze, which is far bigger and heavier but with the same size engine, the Cruze wins on fuel economy and a bit more power.
True that, technology also makes a big difference, my brothers e46 with a straight six motor gets better fuel economy than my corsa even though its older.:ROFL:

And makes a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better noise.

gamer16

Executive Member
Where you win with a citigolf or similar is the insurance, you'll be heck of a lot cheaper though they are a bit of a target for hijackers.

I'd suggest a Mazda2, they're very economical, have (some) safety features and are not as big a target as Citi/Tazz.
Does make you nervous this, if your in one of these cars in traffic and you spot some guys walking up behind you.

Lupus

Honorary Master
True that, technology also makes a big difference, my brothers e46 with a straight six motor gets better fuel economy than my corsa even though its older.:ROFL:

I'm sure the noise is faaaar better :)

Asgard85

Or A Honda Jazz.
Mechanically bomb-proof.
Fairly frugal.
LOADS of space for the mountains of stuff that needs to move with infants (and toddlers later on).
My SO had one and the thing never put a foot wrong.

Tman*

Expert Member
The 1st question you have to ask yourself is how much do you owe on the pajero, and what can you get for it if you sell it?

Following that, you can determine if it's a financially viable idea.

Try not to buy something that will get stolen within a week of owning it.

Thor

Honorary Master
Hi

What do you people think in terms how bad of an idea this is.
Currently i drive a Pajero Sport. Safety rating is good, driving my infant around in it and then to work and back.

However, with insurance and fuel im paying around 11k a month. Fuel taking up most of this cost. Our offices moved and i drive 4x more than previously and this took out a pretty chunk of my spare cash.

So sell car. Buy an old Citi Golf 1.4l for 30k cash.
No more car payments. Fuel economy will be slightly better.
This puts around 7k back in my pocket.

Good or bad idea?
What about looking at a Ford Fiesta Diesel (they are very light on petrol), do you need the SUV? I think @Hamster drives a SUV which is quite low on fuel consumption for a SUV.

So what I am trying to say is, sell the Pajero and buy a Fiesta?

Lupus

Honorary Master

Actually insurance would probably be higher then it should be for the Golf due to the risk, same as the Tazz. If you truly want a car no one wants, look at French or ones that have left the country. No one wants me Cruze :).

Lupus

Honorary Master
fair enough. will see what i can get for 30k. Basically i can no longer afford car payments. Or a domestic, or netflix, or itunes, or garden services or adsl. Hence the car has to be a piece of sht that costs 30k
Are your car payments, petrol and insurance costing R11k or is that what you need to shave completely?

gamer16

Executive Member
I'm sure the noise is faaaar better :)
It is yeah, I am however fairly pleased with the noise the little 8 valve makes with the intake trumpets deleted, that in combination with the short gearing makes for a happy revy growly noise.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It is yeah, I am however fairly pleased with the noise the little 8 valve makes with the intake trumpets deleted, that in combination with the short gearing makes for a happy revy growly noise.
And you can hear the petrol glugging away ;-)

Nithan15

Expert Member

I really miss my E46 of all the cars I ever owned. That straight 6 was something else, was even more fuel efficient that my 4 cylinder E36 that I replaced it with. Even when I drove a golf 7GTI I still missed my E46 BMW :ROFL: it was not the fastest it was only 127kw but the way it drove. That perfect 50/50 balance.

Modern cars are much more powerful and fuel efficient thanks to technologies like Turbocharging, cylinder deactivation, start\stop,etc.