Delete

RedViking

Nord of the South
fair enough. will see what i can get for 30k. Basically i can no longer afford car payments. Or a domestic, or netflix, or itunes, or garden services or adsl. Hence the car has to be a piece of sht that costs 30k
Is the 30K before or after you sold your current vehicle? Golf is just candy to a thief. If you are patient and shop around you can get a decent vehicle for 50-60K. Some other small low maintenance vehicle

Nissan Tiida
Chef Avio
Ford Figo
Ford Fiesta Tdci
Hyundai Getz 1.4 / 1.6
Hyundai Accent 1.6
Mazda 2

cerebus

Honorary Master
Is the 30K before or after you sold your current vehicle? Golf is just candy to a thief. If you are patient and shop around you can get a decent vehicle for 50-60K. Some other small low maintenance vehicle

Nissan Tiida
Chef Avio
Ford Figo
Ford Fiesta Tdci
Hyundai Getz 1.4 / 1.6
Hyundai Accent 1.6
Mazda 2
I had a Panda. Also great economical cars.

Cius

Executive Member
My tazz is not fuel efficient, I get 600KM on a 60l tank. Everything else is dirt cheap though, insurance is cheap, services are cheap, tyres are cheap. It works for me to keep it as I don't put a lot of km on it each year.

If your main cost is fuel then definitely get a modern car with decent fuel efficiency. You will probably still be ahead if you say got a Balade on a payment plan with lower insurance. That much money sounds insane.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Great idea, except for the citi golf. But there's alot of better cars out there for about R50k

My astra gets about 6l/100km and I try and spend R1000 a month on maintenance. No instalments, only 3rd party cover R100 per month. Driving 100km per day

Actually insurance would probably be higher then it should be for the Golf due to the risk, same as the Tazz. If you truly want a car no one wants, look at French or ones that have left the country. No one wants me Cruze :).
I doubt it - though the golf is a higher-risk of theft, it's got a lower overall value. Pajero is a huge whack of cash, and remember it's not just theft that the insurers are thinking about but also write-off value. Would actually be interesting to get a comparative quote.

eg2505

Honorary Master
feel for you OP, times are tough out there.
lots of people finally selling their SUV's when they actually realize what they are.

high riding hatchbacks, with Zero off road abilities that chow fuel like a drunk.
but considered a "status symbol" like a expensive BMW,

Hi

What do you people think in terms how bad of an idea this is.
Currently i drive a Pajero Sport. Safety rating is good, driving my infant around in it and then to work and back.

However, with insurance and fuel im paying around 11k a month. Fuel taking up most of this cost. Our offices moved and i drive 4x more than previously and this took out a pretty chunk of my spare cash.

So sell car. Buy an old Citi Golf 1.4l for 30k cash.
No more car payments. Fuel economy will be slightly better.
This puts around 7k back in my pocket.

Good or bad idea?
No Citi golf can get stolen in 2 seconds, its also not great on fuel economy being very old engine the use.

Rather get Hyundai getz.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Where you win with a citigolf or similar is the insurance, you'll be heck of a lot cheaper though they are a bit of a target for hijackers.

I'd suggest a Mazda2, they're very economical, have (some) safety features and are not as big a target as Citi/Tazz.
The only way you win on insurance is because most insurers won't actually insure a shyttygolf...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
crocopede, what you need to do is downscale the Pajero and buy something better at either the same price range in terms of monthly repayments but is more fuel efficient, or find something older at a lower monthly price point with the fuel efficiency in mind.

I'm guessing relocating closer to work is out of the question though?

surface

Expert Member

Good or bad idea?
Good idea. I have been driving same 2nd hand car for 10+ years now; value of car was 75K when I bought it back then, now it is 45K (as per insurance company). Insurance premium is under 500 rands.

But, this is coming from guy who never really felt the need to scale up. :ROFL: Also, you seem rather young if you are considering city golf so I wouldn't suggest "nonagenarian" honda civic to you. ;)

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Hi

What do you people think in terms how bad of an idea this is.
Currently i drive a Pajero Sport. Safety rating is good, driving my infant around in it and then to work and back.

However, with insurance and fuel im paying around 11k a month. Fuel taking up most of this cost. Our offices moved and i drive 4x more than previously and this took out a pretty chunk of my spare cash.

Good or bad idea?

Always a good idea to scale back, but you dont have to go that drastic. Get something like a second hand Honda Jazz. Still a nice car, economical and safe for your infant.

Lupus

Honorary Master
If you're leaving the country anyway in 6 months, honestly sell the current car, cut everything you don't need. Get a skadonk and third party.

STORMERSFAN

My consumption from jhb to harties

Nissan Tiida
Chef Avio
Ford Figo
Ford Fiesta Tdci
Hyundai Getz 1.4 / 1.6
Hyundai Accent 1.6
Mazda 2
My consumption on my Ford Figo 1.5 trend auto from jhb to harties

Attachments