Dell Latitude D630 - 3G HSDPA Driver?

NomNom

Executive Member
I have a Dell Latitude D630 Service Tag: 9RWK33J

I have installed Windows 7 on it and I need to make sure of the 3G HSDPA module that is has. Problem is Windows 7 does not detect it and I have no idea what driver to install for it to work.

I have tried countless drivers and utilities, most of them say device not detected.

I've tried both drivers for network on this page: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/ServiceTag/9RWK33J?retrieveState=True

And only the bluetooth and Wifi get installed and not the 3G.

Help? :confused:

ponder

Honorary Master
I worked on one of those in May. Used a linux livecd to id the wireless chipset and then downloaded the correct drivers from dell.

NomNom

Executive Member
You need to change your country to South Africa and set it to show all drivers. You most likely have the 5520 module and this should do the trick: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...leId=2731125480&languageCode=en&categoryId=CM

Edit: google suggests it's a re-branded Novatel Expedite EU870D if you want to dig around for some generic driver options.

Thanks I will give this a try.

I worked on one of those in May. Used a linux livecd to id the wireless chipset and then downloaded the correct drivers from dell.

Was the linux live cd able to download the drivers also? As there seems to be many many different drivers to choose from and thus far I haven't been able to find the right one.

ponder

Honorary Master
Was the linux live cd able to download the drivers also? As there seems to be many many different drivers to choose from and thus far I haven't been able to find the right one.

I did not test the 3G in linux. Not sure what you mean by able to download the drivers? I downloaded all the drivers I needed manually from my linux box and transferred them via USB stick to the laptop. I just used linux to identify the actual chipset of the 3G device as I was also confused by all the options from Dell. Linux can supply you with vendor:device id's which you can then google to identify the actual card, commands like lspci, lsusb etc are used to identify things.

NomNom

Executive Member
You need to change your country to South Africa and set it to show all drivers. You most likely have the 5520 module and this should do the trick: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...leId=2731125480&languageCode=en&categoryId=CM

Edit: google suggests it's a re-branded Novatel Expedite EU870D if you want to dig around for some generic driver options.

No dice, it doesn't seem to have done anything, so I took a photos of it to show:

20130703_194926.jpg
20130703_195509.jpg

For some reason is says "3G connection" on the modem, this laptop also has a built in modem.

I did not test the 3G in linux. Not sure what you mean by able to download the drivers? I downloaded all the drivers I needed manually from my linux box and transferred them via USB stick to the laptop. I just used linux to identify the actual chipset of the 3G device as I was also confused by all the options from Dell. Linux can supply you with vendor:device id's which you can then google to identify the actual card, commands like lspci, lsusb etc are used to identify things.

Which Linux live cd did you use? and how do I go about finding out what chipset it is?

Shellyb1

Expert Member
You need to get the drivers for the 3G module and then you need to install the software to do the connection. Once you installed the drivers, see if you can find the Ericsson connection software. They worked for me when I used this lappy at work. Onto the 6520 now so haven't got the drivers anymore.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
A question- does the built-in 3G modem still work? I went through the entire rigmarole of downloading and reinstalling a plethora of different driver combos on my old E6500 to no avail, because the modem was stuffed.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think the live cd is a good next step. I know SUSE has a decent live cd, but I'm sure any modern distro should do.

Would also be worth checking the bios settings for the wirless switch as you can set what it enables or disables. I know sometimes it only does wifi and Bluetooth and not 3G unless you toggle it.

Also no harm in flipping the notebook over and removing the bottom cover to see what is installed. It's a few screws at the most to get access. Dell have decent service manuals on how to open their notebooks.

Last edited:

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've moved this to mobile broadband, might find some more suggestions.

NomNom

Executive Member
Sigh thanks for the help guys but the customer has decided to rather get a dongle instead of use the built in 3G.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Sigh thanks for the help guys but the customer has decided to rather get a dongle instead of use the built in 3G.
If you don't have any unknown devices in device manager then it doesn't have built-in 3G.

NomNom

Executive Member
If you don't have any unknown devices in device manager then it doesn't have built-in 3G.

Yeah I didn't but when I take the battery out from the bottom there is a slot there to put a sim card in. :confused:

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yeah I didn't but when I take the battery out from the bottom there is a slot there to put a sim card in. :confused:

All those models have SIM tray, it doesn't however mean the 3G card is installed. It was an optional extra.

sajunky

Honorary Master
This is possibly for O2Micro OZ776 Smartcard Reader (the first picture on the bottom).
Your "3G" Connection is for analog modem, as ginggs pointed out.

PS. This is PC thread, not Mobile Broadband. :)

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
That's for the SD card reader.
I beg to differ. :) I have the same in Fujitsu Stylistic tablet (it takes old large 85x53.5mm SIM card). It is SIM reader for security purpose.
SD card use different slot and is served by another O2 driver.

Last edited: