Depressed/Bipolar love the internet?

Dolby

Honorary Master
This is an observation, so don't flame at once if you disgree with me ;)

Am I right in saying the depressives, suicidals, bipolars, sociapths, etc seem to love the internet and interactive means of commnication (MSN, forums, IRC, MxIT etc)?

In the past 2 months I've seen tons of posts popping up about self mutilation, depression, anti depressants, hot girls online with issues - and the people that reply seem to have taken all of this medication/can relate to everything said. Add to that, it seems that every person on IRC is taking anti depressants or worse (history of metal illness, had electro therapy, shrinks etc) and the picture is that depressives love online!

Is it true? And why? Is it the feeling of being anonimous? Being someone you're not? The fact that no one online knows you're 'ill' and treat you differently?

Check this article too http://bipolar.about.com/cs/menu_chat/a/0302_online1.htm

It seems to indicate those with bipolar are more drawn into the online world that 'normal' people.

Boodles

Executive Member
Yep, i'm fantastic, but also have serious issues, what they are i dont know, but for the sake of this post, lets assume.

Ivan...

Expert Member
Am I right in saying the depressives, suicidals, bipolars, sociapths, etc seem to love the internet and interactive means of commnication (MSN, forums, IRC, MxIT etc)?
Hmm...people who arent depressed, suicidal, bipolarz, sociapathic, etc also love the internet....we all like to communicate/rant/etc.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Hmm...people who arent depressed, suicidal, bipolarz, sociapathic, etc also love the internet....we all like to communicate/rant/etc.
Agreed - that's why I asked and didn't state ;)

However, if I take the real people I've met and those I've met from online - there's a huge amount more depressive/people with issues online

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I doubt there are an above average number of bipolar people on the internetz, but I think they just feel more free to make their bipolar-ness public/obvious.

Ivan...

Expert Member
Agreed - that's why I asked and didn't state ;)

However, if I take the real people I've met and those I've met from online - there's a huge amount more depressive/people with issues online
Okay..well I found that on Myspace I found tons more weirdos and the type of people you mentioned above..but its not the case with Facebook...here I'm surprised everytime I read a thread where someone admits to taking drugs/anti depressants/razorblades/laxatives...didn't think there'd be so many (3-7:D) forumites .

JK8

Banned
This is an observation, so don't flame at once if you disgree with me ;)

In the past 2 months I've seen tons of posts popping up about self mutilation, depression, anti depressants, hot girls online with issues - and the people that reply seem to have taken all of this medication/can relate to everything said. Add to that, it seems that every person on IRC is taking anti depressants or worse (history of metal illness, had electro therapy, shrinks etc) and the picture is that depressives love online!

Is it true? And why? Is it the feeling of being anonimous? Being someone you're not? The fact that no one online knows you're 'ill' and treat you differently?

Check this article too http://bipolar.about.com/cs/menu_chat/a/0302_online1.htm

It seems to indicate those with bipolar are more drawn into the online world that 'normal' people.

:eek:
Im getting off, but its so hard...
IMO internets helped me a bit, i always test the users (all forums, mxit etc) by the response I get from fellow posters... By knowing certain way people respond, helps in the real world.