Developer position at Amazon Web Services

I'm a Software Development Manager at Amazon Web Services (AWS) in Cape Town. (Long time forum member, but aiming to keep my work profile separate from my personal profile).

My team is in EC2 and specifically we are part of the organisation that owns the customer-facing API layer (for EC2). Our services are responsible for authentication, routing, rate limiting, caching, meta data injection and dependency orchestration for all EC2 API calls. This means we need to build services which operate at extremely high scales and need to be very efficient at processing requests, often in a way which is as generic as possible (to avoid coupling).

We mainly code in Java, but we also own tools written in Scala, Kotlin, Ruby, Python and even Elm. We're interested in good software developers, regardless of their language of choice. Our internal culture is pretty cool (e.g. breakfast talks, hack days, etc.) - at least I think so - and of course there are several opportunities to travel, since we work closely with teams all over the world (but especially Seattle and Washington DC). Should you need to relocate to Cape Town, we'd also take care of your relocation.

I'm looking for multiple developers across the experience spectrum, from junior / intermediate all the way through to senior.

If this sounds interesting to you, please send me a PM with your details and I'll facilitate the process or go explore here https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/781228/senior-software-development-engineer-ec2-api-platform-team or https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/802544/software-development-engineer-ec2-api-platform-team .

netcruiser

Fun game for interviewees at AWS: Wear a tie, it will make them extremely uncomfortable, keep it on. Count how many times they ask you to remove it.

eg2505

Honorary Master
did this before, although for the EC2 support desk, in CPT,
still even remember all the hassles I had with the test I had to write, RDP into X server with Y port
(never worked for me,, just was unlucky I guess)

was quite a fun experience, flew me down to CPT, nice hotel, grueling and long interview,
and then flew back home,

didnt make it, will try again a bit later, when I have a textbook in front of me to answer all the questions they asked.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
No, there is an expectation that you'll work from the offices in Gardens, Cape Town. There is a lot of flexibility with regards to working hours and you'd be able to work from home occasionally but the policy is not "work from home".
Yup, and long hours too... with shifts...
We know it well... No thank you.

I have read enough interviews hell from Amazon/Google/FB etc to know it's not even worth it, except if you eat, breath,live,poop code.
Hi TelkomUseless

Do you have any links that you can post which reference this interview hell at Amazon? I'd really be interested to read them and find out what went wrong.

We aim to hire and develop the best and our interview process reflects that aim. Knowing and understanding Computer Science principles is essential, but we are definitely not just looking for people who
eat, breath,live,poop code.
. Your coding abilities are crucial but examining them'll only form around 40% of the interview process, we're a lot more interested in the person you are and how you demonstrate Amazon's leadership principles because those principles are the key to success at Amazon.

We don't ask trick questions during interviews, we don't attempt to trip up candidates. We don't ask abstract questions. During the non-engineering aspects of interviews we concentrate on the candidate's experience, what challenges and situations they've faced in the past and how they've handled these. The engineering aspects of the interview are on real world / realistic problems.

If anyone has questions about the interviewing process at AWS, feel free to post them in this thread and I'll answer them as best as I can

cguy

Expert Member
As someone who knows many people at Amazon (both Seattle, and Cape Town), this is very possibly the best opportunity for any software developer on the entire continent. Take the opportunity to at least try for it if you can.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Hi TelkomUseless

Do you have any links that you can post which reference this interview hell at Amazon? I'd really be interested to read them and find out what went wrong.

We aim to hire and develop the best and our interview process reflects that aim. Knowing and understanding Computer Science principles is essential, but we are definitely not just looking for people who . Your coding abilities are crucial but examining them'll only form around 40% of the interview process, we're a lot more interested in the person you are and how you demonstrate Amazon's leadership principles because those principles are the key to success at Amazon.

We don't ask trick questions during interviews, we don't attempt to trip up candidates. We don't ask abstract questions. During the non-engineering aspects of interviews we concentrate on the candidate's experience, what challenges and situations they've faced in the past and how they've handled these. The engineering aspects of the interview are on real world / realistic problems.

If anyone has questions about the interviewing process at AWS, feel free to post them in this thread and I'll answer them as best as I can
Just google it. Reddit has a few threads and people's experiences with FB/Google/etc.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Baffles my mind why someone wouldn't want to work for the number one company in the world. It will only open up doors for you. At the end of the day you do not have to work for them for the rest of your life.
Maybe if you don't have gf/wife/kids. In your 20's but then the odds of you getting a job there is almost 0 due to experience.

And you are right, it's just a job.. don't have to work there for life.