DGN2200M ADSL Light

Krazye

Hi guys,

I am in need of your wisdom. I'm currently in the process of getting a 4mb adsl line, everything is going well so far. My line was installed and I completed my adsl self install application on Saturday. I've been told by one lady at Telkom it'll take 48 hrs and 7 working days by another lady. I'm well aware of the various time frames involved in this process from my research but my issue right now is my modem/router.

I have a Netgear DGN2200M router I bought from IC a few years back and what I would like to know is should the adsl light go on when I insert the jack into the router? Or will that only happen once my adsl line has been activated? I'm worried the modem on the router is busted because I would think that the router would pick up that a jack has been inserted in it especially when there is a dialing tone.

PSN

if I remember correctly the light will flash when the model attempting sink with the exchange.

Krazye

if I remember correctly the light will flash when the model attempting sink with the exchange.
Does that mean its not attempting to even sink with the exchange or it'll only attempt that once the adsl has been activated?

Saajid

Expert Member
On Netgear routers, the DSL light (pair of twisted wires) will usually start blinking as it attempts to sync with exchange. Once it syncs, it will remain solid.

If it is not blinking, then perhaps the ADSL port on the modem is gone. However, before rushing out to buy a new one, wait for your line to become active (check with Telkom) and then test it. Or in the meantime, see if you can borrow a friends modem, and test it on your non-active line. Also test your current modem on any other telephone line, and see how it behaves.

Wackyza

My DGN2200's dsl light is dead, but connects 100%. I would not trust the light only :)

Krazye

Thanks Saajid, I'll try that out and see what happens.I'll keep u posted :)

killerbyte

Expert Member
A note to all those who might be looking at replacing their DGN2200... the DGN2200v4 has internal antennas. They are strong and will output a good signal but will stop any dreams of upgrading the antennas to stronger models. I bought one of these routers, loving it but the lack of external antennas did make me a little sad.

DjStyles

Expert Member
A note to all those who might be looking at replacing their DGN2200... the DGN2200v4 has internal antennas. They are strong and will output a good signal but will stop any dreams of upgrading the antennas to stronger models. I bought one of these routers, loving it but the lack of external antennas did make me a little sad.
I am in the same boat. now that i am in the new house and need to boost the signal, the lack of ext antenna's becoming an issue.

Krazye

I am in the same boat. now that i am in the new house and need to boost the signal, the lack of ext antenna's becoming an issue.
Thats why i'm looking into getting the asus rt-ac88u but no built in modem and its gonna be quite expensive. Cant wait to see 802.11ac speeds.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Have a look at the TP-Link routers sold by Uniterm, they also sell the matching 8dbi antennas so you can buy it all in one go and boost your signal.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Do TP Link have a adsl and 3g/4g router type combo?

My netgear is also balls, i get red light but everything works perfectly lol.
I dont like the netgear interface either.

Used a TPLink 3g router and old tl3420, and it was great, still have it but cant use for adsl.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
That looks cool Rickster, will give it a go.
I don't really have a prob configuring it though, just found it a bit cumbersome.

The 1 issue I do have with it the DGN2200 (non telkom router) is I cant get the mobile to connect. I have 2 sticks, the Balck Cell C speestick (e1820) and a 8ta e367 none of them work, but might well be a config issue somewhere in there.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Do TP Link have a adsl and 3g/4g router type combo?

My netgear is also balls, i get red light but everything works perfectly lol.
I dont like the netgear interface either.

Used a TPLink 3g router and old tl3420, and it was great, still have it but cant use for adsl.
My memory is a bit flaky but I'm pretty sure I recall someone mentioning a certain tp link model here very recently that has a usb port and can be loaded with custom firmware (dd-wrt?) that allows you to use 3G usb dongles with it and can be setup for failover etc.

Let me go and look for this post and see if I can find it, will report back.

EDIT: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...vice-issue?p=11255445&viewfull=1#post11255445

It's only a router so you still require a adsl modem.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
That looks cool Rickster, will give it a go.
I don't really have a prob configuring it though, just found it a bit cumbersome.

The 1 issue I do have with it the DGN2200 (non telkom router) is I cant get the mobile to connect. I have 2 sticks, the Balck Cell C speestick (e1820) and a 8ta e367 none of them work, but might well be a config issue somewhere in there.
Update your firmware, it adds Genie to the web browser.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
I updated the firmware just the other day, did not notice the genie thingy, but will have a closer look at it all later this evening when I am at home, thx.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I updated the firmware just the other day, did not notice the genie thingy, but will have a closer look at it all later this evening when I am at home, thx.
What version is your 2200? V1,V3....

Hold on a sec, you said when you connect your 3G sticks to the router it does nothing....the DGN2200 doesnt support 3G failover, that USB port is for file sharing only.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
What version is your 2200? V1,V3....

Hold on a sec, you said when you connect your 3G sticks to the router it does nothing....the DGN2200 doesnt support 3G failover, that USB port is for file sharing only.
I may have the model number wrong, and cant check I am at work, but I bought it specifically for the 3G support and from memory the box said as much.
If it turns out I was sold the wrong product in the wrong box I am going to go Jihad on somebody lol.

looks just like the one on the top of this page.
http://www.shopmania.co.za/routers/p-netgear-dgn2200m-1718451

Last edited: