DID SIP Trunk Provider in RSA

icepick

Hi, I'm an expat living overseas. I have a Asterisk PBX set up for cheap VOIP calls to family in South Africa, however I'm trying to improve call quality to mobile phone numbers and I'm thinking of registering / subscribing to a local VOIP provider in RSA. As I'm not familiar with the local market I have done some research on providers but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions. My requirements

* SIP Provider with local DID number.
* Able to register/connect from Asterisk from an international IP address (i.e. not blocked/limited to local IP addresses)
* Asterisk sip settings available (if possible)
* Pre-paid (international credit card visa/mastercard)
* No monthly subscription

Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help.

Edit: So far I have looked at the following providers:

* Nexus ISP Voip (monthly credit card debit with 30 day notice is not acceptable)
* MWeb (seems I need a local bank account?)
* Wanatel. (no credit card payment option)
* Telfree classic (basic 'package') (still waiting on my registration email but so far seem to check all the above boxes).

Last edited:

warwickw

Expert Member
Nexus's voip account is free, they only require a credit card so that they can bill you if you make billable calls from the SIP account. Register an entropay of vcpay virtual card on you are done.

You should be able to get a 087 number from them.

icepick

Nexus's voip account is free, they only require a credit card so that they can bill you if you make billable calls from the SIP account. Register an entropay of vcpay virtual card on you are done.

Thanks. That seems fine. I didn't know about entropay - thanks for the tip! Done.

I'm waiting now on their response to the registration. They also asked for RICA info which I emailed (not a certified scan - hope it works!).

Thanks.

FireTelkom

You will be able to get a Johannesburg number (010), Pretoria (012), Cape Town (021) or Durban (031) as well.

warwickw

Expert Member
You will be able to get a Johannesburg number (010), Pretoria (012), Cape Town (021) or Durban (031) as well.
Only if you can prove residence in one of those areas.

Calls to other Nexus numbers and Mweb numbers are free of charge, which is also a nice benefit.

PaulB_

How did you get past the RICA info, if you don't live in the country.

What address details do you give them?

PaulB_

How did you get past the RICA info, if you don't live in the country.

What address details do you give them?

What Codecs do Nexus support on their free SIP Trunks? How many concurrent calls are you able to make over the single SIP Trunk as well? And how did you get past RICA? Local Family representative?