DigiChilli January Status and feedback

I watched Valkyrie in pure 720p (4.5GB file) and then watched the BDRip (1.7GB) and I could not distinguish between the two. I am quite happy to grab the BDRips when available since the quality is still fantastic but the file size is not really that big.
 
I watched Valkyrie in pure 720p (4.5GB file) and then watched the BDRip (1.7GB) and I could not distinguish between the two. I am quite happy to grab the BDRips when available since the quality is still fantastic but the file size is not really that big.

i agree with you, i cant see the differance either between the two.
 
It's Go LIVE guys...not Go Life, eish, from this I deduce that Andre is their QA chap, cause he made that spelling mistake in his email :D

I am afrikaans, and sometimes i have think before i post, or use the auto spelling correct.
Why do ppl bash other ppl for trivial things? a "v" and a "f" :wtf:
 
i agree with you, i cant see the differance either between the two.

Interesting research on the matter: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1594943.1594952 The emperor's clothes in high resolution: An experimental study of the framing effect and the diffusion of HDTV

I can see when my HD-PVR is broadcasting a signal in standard def, but only if I stand quite close to the TV, far closer than would be comfortable to watch. The reason we think SD is so crappy is because we are used to seeing widescreen compressed to 4:3 aspect ratio and then compressed again to broadcast to us. :(
 
Thanks for responding. I'm using pop3 with outlook. A google apps account using the settings of port 587 and TLS encryption for outgoing. Exactly what Google says to use and it works perfectly with Telkom & Afrihost. Are you using different settings?

Weird...so it works on your other ISP...
Double check your settings on gmail using this site:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13273

Try creating an account again...

Incoming server : pop.gmail.comOutgoing : smtp.gmail.com
Then click on more settings --> Advance --> Incoming port 995; Outgoing 465

Make sure all the SSL ticks are selected,

Test account....check what errors you get:wtf:
 
i have noticed with all my HD stuff which i think is at 600 gig at the moment, that if its says bdrip or 720p or even 1080 its all looks very good on pc or laptop, but when i play it on my 42 hd lcd or my boss's 60 inch you do notice that the 720 (average 4 to 8 gig) and 1080 (8 to 22 gig) has sooooo much better than just bdrip which i think is normal 420 if not mistaken, i also have a 1080 18 min Metallica video live and its nearly 6 gig
 
Last edited:
i have noticed with all my HD stuff which i think is at 600 gig at the moment, that if its says bdrip or 720p or even 1080 its all looks very good on pc or laptop, but when i play it on my 42 hd lcd or my boss's 60 inch you do notice that the 720 (average 4 to 8 gig) and 1080 (8 to 22 gig) has sooooo much better than just bdrip which i think is normal 420 if not mistaken, i also have a 1080 18 min Metallica video live and its nearly 6 gig
It may have something to do with which device is doing the upscaling. PS3 is supposedly fantastic at this.
 
Well, I have seen some 720p anime (24 minutes) that are generally 320MB in size. Extrapolate to 2 hours, and you get around 1200MB, or just over 1GB. I don't really know what 1080p or similar will be, filesize-wise, though.

Bear in mind, though, that 8.5 GB DVD disks are considered too small these days, by the movie studios. They wouldn't have developed new technologies if it could fit on current media. So in the future you may be streaming Blu-Ray sized streams off of central repositories. The PC games industry is moving in that direction already (Steam, Impulse, etc), and away from boxed sets. I can imagine that eventually it would be the same way with your movies. Buy it online and watch it online where-ever you are.

Uhmm, interresting...I believe that RatDVD are able to compress a 8GB movie to 2.5GB - Used it once, but that was to de-compress a DVD.
 
I am afrikaans, and sometimes i have think before i post, or use the auto spelling correct.
Why do ppl bash other ppl for trivial things? a "v" and a "f" :wtf:

As an individual that might be considered ok, as a company NOT it is certainly not trivial.
 
So what do everyone's speeds look like? I see I'm averaging around 20kB/s using RS and torrents on spicy
 
My torrents are at average of 38 to 42KB/s and now and then hitting 46Kb/s and can still browse ok.
Spicy

And you're not using some clever magic to hide your torrent traffic, are you? I mean excluding things like encrypting your traffic from inside your torrent client.
 
Multi threaded http downloads are fine. But whats happening with Astraweb its almost completely dead. Whats up what that?
 
Are you talking kilobits per second? If so you are really being screwed on your Hot account? If kilobytes per second you're getting your money's worth it sounds like.

sory my bad its kilobytes per second, im doing 1.2mbs every 3 seconds, ive just jumped up to 410kb/s
 
So it seems like the DC traffic is still all over the place, even for people with similar packages\infrastructure\applications :wtf:
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X