DigiChilli January Status and feedback

The 2 concurrent connections is more important to me than bursting, but that's probably because I'm on a 384 line though.

my account is running fine , awesome downloads and browsing, but when i put the concurrent connection on , i still get awesome speeds but the second connection gets like 30kbs download??? they both on two seperate locations....
 
Well i am only getting max 50Kbs on my torrents with a 4Meg line on the R300 package. That aint bad, considering that i am paying for an up to 256 line... (but it is so much fun when i get 3mb+ when i connect with my mweb acc)
 
my account is running fine , awesome downloads and browsing, but when i put the concurrent connection on , i still get awesome speeds but the second connection gets like 30kbs download??? they both on two seperate locations....

Mine is also two locations, but one I don't use for downloading very much, but the few times I tried (and the network was ok for me) it worked fine.
 
Mine is also two locations, but one I don't use for downloading very much, but the few times I tried (and the network was ok for me) it worked fine.

its strange, you would think they should work fine? well i will try it again tonight :)
 
That worked well with dialup...uncapped ADSL, NOT! - Contention ratios goes out the window with DSL, a hard lesson Screamer also learnt...

Yes and no.

At the moment to keep the system stable isp's are probably having to operate with a much lower contention ratio, probably around 8 to 1. This is obviously meaning they are running at a loss, but once more average users start signing up they should be able to stretch it out to atleast 20/1. At that point they should become profitable.

Internationally adsl contention ratios range from 20/1 to 50/1. The one thing we mustn't discount, is how little some users use. The big problem going forward is going to be how to get these users to upgrade to uncapped because many of them will be happy to stay with a 3 gig account. It's gonna be tough, but it's not impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contention_ratio
 
This is the Most Stupid thing i have heard from an ISP! Y is it that with DigiChilli WE have to manage out bandwidth like this? WTF!

They are just saying that if you run a torrent at full speed, you might have to stop it before you can play an online game.

It's always been like that.
 
That worked well with dialup...uncapped ADSL, NOT! - Contention ratios goes out the window with DSL, a hard lesson Screamer also learnt...

Are you actually being serious about this? Do you really believe that there aren't contention ratios on adsl?

If an ISP pays roughly R3700 for a 1mb/s pipe, how do they profit from dividing it up into 4 smaller chunks and then selling it at R250?

Even the 1mb pipe that digichilli bought is contended 2:1 for that R3700 ;)

I'm not saying these contention ratios aren't a problem. I do believe if you only very little users, the contention ratios could cause issues as you simply don't have a large enough user base to even out the heavy users, hence you get slow downs. If they made sure that their network runs 100% all the time, then I'm sure they wouldn't have lost so many subscribers already.
 
Yes and no.

At the moment to keep the system stable isp's are probably having to operate with a much lower contention ratio, probably around 8 to 1. This is obviously meaning they are running at a loss, but once more average users start signing up they should be able to stretch it out to atleast 20/1. At that point they should become profitable.

Internationally adsl contention ratios range from 20/1 to 50/1. The one thing we mustn't discount, is how little some users use. The big problem going forward is going to be how to get these users to upgrade to uncapped because many of them will be happy to stay with a 3 gig account. It's gonna be tough, but it's not impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contention_ratio


Whilst I agree with you...please note that for South Africa as a bandwidth starved nation, mindset changes is going to take longer. I recently did research in this area and it was alarming what the data showed. ADSL user patterns are way different for capped and uncapped...not sure if that's going to change anytime soon.
 
i actually like the idea more of the raw pipe. The question now is.... will it be burstable? and what will my latencies look like on my games?
 
Whilst I agree with you...please note that for South Africa as a bandwidth starved nation, mindset changes is going to take longer. I recently did research in this area and it was alarming what the data showed. ADSL user patterns are way different for capped and uncapped...not sure if that's going to change anytime soon.

Aha! A SME - are you able to share the research findings on the forum?
 
Whilst I agree with you...please note that for South Africa as a bandwidth starved nation, mindset changes is going to take longer. I recently did research in this area and it was alarming what the data showed. ADSL user patterns are way different for capped and uncapped...not sure if that's going to change anytime soon.

It is an interesting subject. I've been thinking about it, and i wonder what the average use is going to be when the average user decides with their limited knowledge that they are gonna procure their entertainment via the web.

Most people who have lives simply don't want to run their lines 24/7, so at the most extreme end of the scale they might decide to download 1 tv show a day, and 3 movies a week.

So thats:

(Tv Shows) 30 days x 350 megs = 10.5 gigs
(Movies) 3 x 700 x 4weeks = 8.4 gigs
(Surfing and games) Not more than 10 gigs ( i think it would be way less than this)
Total = 28.9 gigs

The interesting thing going forward is that if you increase their line speed dramatically their average use won't really go higher than 30 gigs unless of course they decide to go HD, but at current 384Kbps speeds, HD just takes to long to download.

In the short term, Isp's need to figure out a way to get that content to the user at as cheap a price as possible, and to do that i think a local NS will help keep their costs down.

P.s. i know mybb users use way more than that, but we are talking man on street stuff here.
 
Last edited:
Just thought I mention that my email to DC suport regarding the non connection issue with Steam has yet to be acknowledged, let alone addressed.

Not even a "Hold on we are doing some plumbing".

It's been 2 days.
 
Most people who have lives simply don't want to run their lines 24/7, so at the most extreme end of the scale they might decide to download 1 tv show a day, and 3 movies a week.

So thats:

(Tv Shows) 30 days x 350 megs = 10.5 gigs
(Movies) 3 x 700 x 4weeks = 8.4 gigs
(Surfing and games) Not more than 10 gigs ( i think it would be way less than this)
Total = 28.9 gigs

I agree entirely with the idea here. Our requirements aren't met by lousy 1GB top-ups and buying that much extra bandwidth is just too costly.

Where the problem comes in I think is with what is being downloaded. These movies and TV shows, how many of those have been legally bought from reputable licensed distributers?

I'd love to see the average Joe who does 28.9GB a month purely on legal content. (And if you regulalrly download content from Microsoft MSDN etc you are not a regular Joe).

Not that I think they do, but ISPs could hold this up as an excuse...
 
I agree entirely with the idea here. Our requirements aren't met by lousy 1GB top-ups and buying that much extra bandwidth is just too costly.

Where the problem comes in I think is with what is being downloaded. These movies and TV shows, how many of those have been legally bought from reputable licensed distributers?

I'd love to see the average Joe who does 28.9GB a month purely on legal content. (And if you regulalrly download content from Microsoft MSDN etc you are not a regular Joe).

Not that I think they do, but ISPs could hold this up as an excuse...

Well, check out http://www.pushplay.co.za - I recon we'll see more and more of these sites popping up as broadband take-up increase. Problem is, although there has been a steady uptake, broadband penetration in SA has slowed down over the last year, Telkom's annual report actually makes mention of this, but they (Telkom) have themselves to blame as the majority believe that their line DSL line rental costs are inflated.

Their R199.00 per month for 384 DSL is actually false advertising as they only mention the mandatory line rental over and above the R199.00 at sign-up. Well, let's hope it gets better...a good tripple play offering should change the landscape a bit ;)
 
We are breaking the network down and giving each user his own "pipe" so to say. This will take shaping away and you are free to do any protocals you want. Go life date is this weekend.

Because of manual migration the network is tuned down a bit to cater for bursts speeds.

Once you have your pipe you will get your full 32K to spend on FTP, torrents or what ever you decide to do.

Hopefully by Monday everything will be working again.:whistle:
 
I agree entirely with the idea here. Our requirements aren't met by lousy 1GB top-ups and buying that much extra bandwidth is just too costly.

Where the problem comes in I think is with what is being downloaded. These movies and TV shows, how many of those have been legally bought from reputable licensed distributers?

I'd love to see the average Joe who does 28.9GB a month purely on legal content. (And if you regulalrly download content from Microsoft MSDN etc you are not a regular Joe).

Not that I think they do, but ISPs could hold this up as an excuse...

Bear in mind that a lot of content is moving online these days. Online radio sites (e.g. 94.7, 702, last.fm), YouTube, Video streaming sites, etc. You can't really do it on a 384 kbps line, but how much bandwidth do you think is consumed by a full HD stream? I can easily see 30GB a month being used.

This is why US ISPs are fighting net neutrality so hard, or want to moved to a capped model. They are afraid that they won't be able to supply all these content to their subscribers with their current infrastructure.
 
I've seen pretty decent HD stuff around for 2-3-4 GB depending on duration...you'll need at least a 8MB line though.

side note....My line BURST this morning...did 110KB/s untill around 6:00
Back to my 40KB/s but i'm a happy chappy....
 
Last edited:
And that is, what? 3 HD movies at most :D

Well, I have seen some 720p anime (24 minutes) that are generally 320MB in size. Extrapolate to 2 hours, and you get around 1200MB, or just over 1GB. I don't really know what 1080p or similar will be, filesize-wise, though.

Bear in mind, though, that 8.5 GB DVD disks are considered too small these days, by the movie studios. They wouldn't have developed new technologies if it could fit on current media. So in the future you may be streaming Blu-Ray sized streams off of central repositories. The PC games industry is moving in that direction already (Steam, Impulse, etc), and away from boxed sets. I can imagine that eventually it would be the same way with your movies. Buy it online and watch it online where-ever you are.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X