Discounted Traffic Fines

Centronix

Expert Member
Does anyone know how I'd go about getting a discount on my traffic fines? With the festive around the corner, I don't want to have any outstanding fines. I don't like the boys in brown

Wyzak

Expert Member
Did you receive the fines via registered post? If not they are invalid and can be ignored. (AARTO)

AniV

Expert Member
If a fine does not arrive by registered mail, it is unlawful and you are not required to pay it.
However, it probably isn't smart to just ignore it either.

Check out http://aarto.co.za/ssm.asp for all the information you could possibly want to know about AARTO, the irregularities, how to react to fines and roadblocks as well as your rights at roadblocks.

They also speak about the online traffic fine sites. I refuse to pay for my fines online. Those sites are dodgy.

louisvd

I went to our traffic department court (Port Elizabeth), had the current fines printed out, and then took them to the prosecutor who stamped them and reduced each one. No point in fighting them because in actual fact I probably was speeding. Sadly 90% of them were in the same place!

Centronix

Expert Member
If a fine does not arrive by registered mail, it is unlawful and you are not required to pay it.
However, it probably isn't smart to just ignore it either.

Check out http://aarto.co.za/ssm.asp for all the information you could possibly want to know about AARTO, the irregularities, how to react to fines and roadblocks as well as your rights at roadblocks.

They also speak about the online traffic fine sites. I refuse to pay for my fines online. Those sites are dodgy.

Thanks, that's some useful information. Oh, paycity.co.za is not dodgy at all. I buy my prepaid electricity from them as well. Even payfine.co.za redirects you to paycity now

Last edited:

Raiders

Luckily stayed out of trouble for a few years now. Probably because I don't drive around.
I know you could, in the past write in and get it reduced. Other than that, go to court and look sad also helps.
In the past what I did get the fines, I just paid. Normally to much time wasted to go to court. Problem is, I only know about the fine 3 months later. No time to pay in less than 30 days unless you watch payfine.

Fazda

Honorary Master
Only in South Africa would people be asking for a discount on their traffic fines!! :rolleyes:

Fazda

Honorary Master
And MULTIPLE fines on top of it....

Yes! I was thinking about this just now. It simply highlights the fact that any sort of law is ignored with impunity in SA.

Basically it appears as if it's a South African's God Given right to break the law, and if they are unlucky enough to be caught and fined, then it is their right, once again, to get away with it as cheaply as possible!

No wonder we have carnage on our roads! :mad:

Seeing as I used the word..
"Impunity arises from a failure by States to meet their obligations to investigate violations; to take appropriate measures in respect of the perpetrators, particularly in the area of justice, by ensuring that those suspected of criminal responsibility are prosecuted, tried and duly punished; to provide victims with effective remedies and to ensure that they receive reparation for the injuries suffered; to ensure the inalienable right to know the truth about violations; and to take other necessary steps to prevent a recurrence of violations."

Last edited:

Fazda

Honorary Master
taxi drivers don't pay them, they just threaten the cops...

That said: i don't speed anymore coz I never got any, then got 3 in one week.

That is precisely the type of lawlessness I was talking about.

Pity that so many people think that they should join the taxi drivers in stooping to their level. :mad:

Venomous

Honorary Master
That is precisely the type of lawlessness I was talking about.

Pity that so many people think that they should join the taxi drivers in stooping to their level. :mad:
I don't support the taxi drivers. Merely commented.

IMO taxi drivers are a breed on their own.

I now watch my car's speed as I don't wanna pay the guavament more money than I need too.

Centronix

Expert Member
You know what they say assumptions? Exactly! No one has a right to break the law and everyone who does has to pay the price. Don't get it twisted. They have amnesty sometimes. In some cases they halve the fine amount.

This is what my question is about. Don't come here with these tendencies lol. Now get back in your cave

AniV

Expert Member
Basically it appears as if it's a South African's God Given right to break the law, and if they are unlucky enough to be caught and fined, then it is their right, once again, to get away with it as cheaply as possible! No wonder we have carnage on our roads! :mad:

I have only ever alledgedly "received" (aka never got anything but a family member saw it on Payfine) one speeding fine - for going 106 in what they claim is an 80 zone, but it is actually a 100 zone and it was on the downhill, so really I can be forgiven 6kmph. Motorbikes pick up speed so quickly.

I never received anything, be it via registered or normal mail. The only reason I know it exists is because a family member decided to check everyone in the family's ID numbers for speeding tickets when they discovered that "wonderful website" Payfine. This was almost 2 years ago.

We don't all drive like maniacs. It only takes a few to cause carnage for all of us.

Fazda

Honorary Master
I have only ever alledgedly "received" (aka never got anything but a family member saw it on Payfine) one speeding fine - for going 106 in what they claim is an 80 zone, but it is actually a 100 zone and it was on the downhill, so really I can be forgiven 6kmph. Motorbikes pick up speed so quickly.

I never received anything, be it via registered or normal mail. The only reason I know it exists is because a family member decided to check everyone in the family's ID numbers for speeding tickets when they discovered that "wonderful website" Payfine. This was almost 2 years ago.

We don't all drive like maniacs. It only takes a few to cause carnage for all of us.

Sadly you are but a tiny drop in the Ocean :(

Jakes147

Expert Member
Some were via post. They all appear on paycity.co.za

Phone JMPD and find out from them if you have any outstanding fines. The ones on payfine dont necessarily show up on their database. If you get pulled over in a roadblock they will only ask you to pay the ones on their database.