Discovery Vitality reducing activity goals after backlash

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
No detail on the specifics yet?

I hope they start offering free non-Apple devices as well.

km2

Expert Member
I don't know if any of this "follows" from the backlash, this just seems to be Discovery staying the course. It was stated by Discovery in their initial communication that "certain members will see their Vitality Active Rewards goals adjusted to provide them with adequate time to adapt to the new points-earning activities and device updates." Currently no one knows how much their point requirements will be adjusted, or how quickly the points will spring back to their previous level.

BBotha

The people in my office that actually use Vitality are all going to leave. They are more pissed of at the devices change as they all had to invest in a device that now cannot be used.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Typical SA style.
Discovery: Work harder for your rewards
Members: Booohooo, we demand stuffs for free!
Discovery: OK

Frankly, I find the limits ridiculously easy and I am not even particularly fit ATM.

heartbroken

Expert Member
Typical SA style.
Discovery: Work harder for your rewards
Members: Booohooo, we demand stuffs for free!
Discovery: OK

Frankly, I find the limits ridiculously easy and I am not even particularly fit ATM.
moar stuffs!!!!!

ab-user

Now it is very easy. Next month it is impossible to get 1200 points in a week.
You've been to next month already?
Granted, if you are not using a heart rate monitor, goals might become tough to reach.
This is all a giant study by them, and unquantifiable numbers does not add any meaning to the study, especially if people start cheating by driving scooters etc, and logging it as cycling on Strava. Normal story of a few bad apples...

Napalm2880

Expert Member
You've been to next month already?
Granted, if you are not using a heart rate monitor, goals might become tough to reach.
This is all a giant study by them, and unquantifiable numbers does not add any meaning to the study, especially if people start cheating by driving scooters etc, and logging it as cycling on Strava. Normal story of a few bad apples...
Making the weekly goals impossible to reach only encourages cheating. I hope they learn this the hard way.

fruitbat

Expert Member
So I must say I'm diamond and work hard each year to do whatever it takes to stay diamond. The smoothies and coffees mean very little to me as I dislike vida and getting to a Kauai is a bit out of my way. So at the risk of sounding negative :) after canceling my discovery card and moving my life insurance away from disco. The inly reason I see to stay with vitality is my free gym. Is there anyone out there who knows the stuff well that could tell me any other advantage to maintaining diamond?

bromster

Expert Member
If you are serious about staying fit, these point requirements are a joke. I can get 600 points for 91 min of gym every day, using my heart rate monitor. I did a dance class the other day, then did my regular gym afterwards and got 3000 points. Money for nothing if you're under 40 or so.

Alacrity

If you are serious about staying fit, these point requirements are a joke. I can get 600 points for 91 min of gym every day, using my heart rate monitor. I did a dance class the other day, then did my regular gym afterwards and got 3000 points. Money for nothing if you're under 40 or so.
It is the opposite from next month.

WesleyR

You clearly haven't seen the new goals / points allocation that are starting on the 2nd April? Going to be much harder to get 3000 points.

WesleyR

Not impossible, but you would need to run a marathon or so.
Hence the wink... didn't mean it literally. But yes, for the average person, it's going to be VERY difficult (almost impossible) to get 3000 points with the new system.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Hence the wink... didn't mean it literally. But yes, for the average person, it's going to be VERY difficult (almost impossible) to get 3000 points with the new system.
80% is tough over that time period, most marathon runners (that I know) don't get to 80% over their 4-5 hours in a marathon on average they go just above 75%. So if you couldn't enter the event manually, they would not be getting their 3000 points. That feels a bit ridiculous to me.

WesleyR

Agreed. Think they realized that people are getting to Gold status by February, which is not exactly what they want.

GforceD

Executive Member
Think about it you pay money to join vitality then they pay you more money (in the form of points or discounts which in reality can be converted to money). Of course they want to make it hard, other wise it would just be a regular Ponzi scheme.

Absa rewards or Ebucks is essentially the same thing. They promise you can earn money back but you need to pay-in and at the end of the day the companies all make money off of you so how does it make sense that everyone is getting money back?