DIY Coffee bean roasting?

ekske1

Executive Member
So... any one else who self roasts their beans?

Just made a second batch of self roasting in a pan on my gas hob. I think I have at least 2/375 skill in green coffee bean roasting.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Perhaps, but interesting if you want to explore the process while laughing at your roasting skills. haha.
Oh I'm all for trying something once.

But there are things that can be done better or cheaper DIY and then there are things best left to professionals for being better and cheaper for it.

I think this is one of those.

ekske1

Executive Member

But there are things that can be done better or cheaper DIY and then there are things best left to professionals for being better and cheaper for it.

The only other tool I would like to have is a proper hand mill grinder that can do a legit turkish ground.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
All you are learning is a skill practised for hundreds of years on farms all over the country and the World. It was one of my jobs as a kid when visiting relatives on the farm (grand parents). Watch the coffee! And I will bliksem you if you burn the beans! No fancy gadgets, just a pan on the stove.

ekske1

Executive Member
All you are learning is a skill practised for hundreds of years on farms all over the country and the World. It was one of my jobs as a kid when visiting relatives on the farm (grand parents). Watch the coffee! And I will bliksem you if you burn the beans! No fancy gadgets, just a pan on the stove.
There's always someone down playing the adventure.

The_MAC

Executive Member

That and making your own beer/wine..

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
There's always someone down playing the adventure.
Of course, it is an adventure for the new generations!
But in the larger scheme of things, it is a simple skill that does not require money. It is like making your own bread. Another simple process that takes about 30 minutes to prepare, wait to rise and bake for 45 minutes. Fresh bread every single day. No drama, no bread making machines no kneading no fancy gadgets.

ekske1

Executive Member
Of course, it is an adventure for the new generations!
But in the larger scheme of things, it is a simple skill that does not require money. It is like making your own bread. Another simple process that takes about 30 minutes to prepare, wait to rise and bake for 45 minutes. Fresh bread every single day. No drama, no bread making machines no kneading no fancy gadgets.
Oh sure, kitchen-alchemy is always best

Why I started in a simple pan and not going super fancy. However I might try out a different strainer and oven roasting when I've quite done on the stove.

I've done the manual to machine thing with bread. Was okay...

abudabi

Expert Member
Curious... what does roasting your own beans add to the (or do to the) raw beans ?

And how is that different to the roaster's roasting process?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Curious... what does roasting your own beans add to the (or do to the) raw beans ?

And how is that different to the roaster's roasting process?
The basic process is the same. Raw coffee beans are roasted to release the oils and other stuff that makes for the taste of coffee.
Roasting them yourself means you control how light (least bitter) or dark(most bitter) the beans are roasted and you can then determine the taste that you like. once roasted, the beans are ground.
The theory goes that raw beans retain their aromatic oils the best and can be stored in the right conditions for a very long time.