DIY Coffee bean roasting?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Of course, it is an adventure for the new generations!
But in the larger scheme of things, it is a simple skill that does not require money. It is like making your own bread. Another simple process that takes about 30 minutes to prepare, wait to rise and bake for 45 minutes. Fresh bread every single day. No drama, no bread making machines no kneading no fancy gadgets.
You make bread without kneading it? :unsure:

Geoff.D

Executive Member
5 (250ml x 5) cups flour (brown or white), can even add your favourite nut nix for variety
25ml oil
12,5 ml salt
12,5 ml sugar, (brown or white), white sugar for white bread works better than brown or honey
10 gm packet dry yeast (Anchor red packet works best)
750 ml lukewarm water (250 boiling, the rest cold water)

Mix well in a bowl using a wooden spoon (dry ingredients mixed well and the water) till consistency is even and "slap".

grease a bread pan with butter. Margarine does not work as well as butter does (28 cm narrow pan but deep)
Spoon mixture into bread pan ( half-way only). Use a second pan if there is too much
Allow to rise in a warm place (watch it in summer, you will be surprised how fast it will rise in warm conditions) (about 20 - 30 min)

Bake for about 45 min to 60 min at 200 deg C. Use a tester to check if cooked through.
Turn over and allow to cool.

Done.
Try not to eat all in one sitting.

RedViking

Honorary Master
5 (250ml x 5) cups flour (brown or white), can even add your favourite nut nix for variety
25ml oil
12,5 ml salt
12,5 ml sugar, (brown or white), white sugar for white bread works better than brown or honey

Mix well in a bowl using a wooden spoon (dry ingredients mixed well and the water) till consistency is even and "slap".

grease a bread pan with butter. Margarine does not work as well as butter does (28 cm narrow pan but deep)
Spoon mixture into bread pan ( half-way only). Use a second pan if there is too much
Allow to rise in a warm place (watch it in summer, you will be surprised how fast it will rise in warm conditions) (about 20 - 30 min)

Bake for about 45 min to 60 min at 200 deg C. Use a tester to check if cooked through.

Done.
Banting recipe please. :p:p:p

Curious... what does roasting your own beans add to the (or do to the) raw beans ?

And how is that different to the roaster's roasting process?
As was mentioned, you control how you want the coffee to taste through roasting.
Anyone can roast the crap out of a bean to make an "espresso" blend, but it takes some time and trial and error to get a a good flavour out of a specific bean.
That is where the fun (for me) lies in coffee roasting, being able to unlock the secret of a specific bean.
The process is the same as what a master roaster uses, just on a local and smaller scale.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So... any one else who self roasts their beans?

Just made a second batch of self roasting in a pan on my gas hob. I think I have at least 2/375 skill in green coffee bean roasting.
OK, if you tell me all about it, I might just bring you some green beans from Ethiopia. They limit the amount you can exit Ethiopia with without paying export duty, but it's probably a KG.

Daruk

Honorary Master
25ml oil
12,5 ml salt

Done.
Legend! Ta!

Daruk

Honorary Master