oscarlets

Hello Everyone.

So I have been using the service of this former SuperQuick mechanic. I would buy the service kit for the car (Honda Jazz) he would then do the minor service.

Changing oil

Changing spark plugs

Changing oil filter

Blowing the air filter

Changing antifreeze

*Brake fluid is still there and I'm told you don't just change it.

Now this guy have developed a tendency of not doing things proper. He rushed his jobs so he can be paid and go and drink beers.

The last time I went to him was to change the control arm bushes rubbers.

He didn't change them he just put grease on the old rubbers and tried to resell the new rubbers.

With someone this dishonest it's difficult trusting them again.

Now I'm considering doing the minor service myself. But I'm worried about spark plug department,I hear if not properly fitted the car may experience serious costly problems. Misfiring etc

Am I paranoid or indeed I must get someone who knows what he's doing and pay them?

Please share your suggestions.

PS: The guy I trusted can no longer be trusted. The guy knows his way around the car. Unfortunately I can't trust him anymore.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Well that would explain why you believe changing octanes makes a difference to your car...

Take it to a reputable third party with an actual workshop.

You can't really get a spark plug fitted wrong. It's either in or it isn't.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Hello Everyone.

So I have been using the service of this former SuperQuick mechanic. I would buy the service kit for the car (Honda Jazz) he would then do the minor service.

Changing oil
Changing spark plugs
Changing oil filter
Blowing the air filter
Changing antifreeze
Those are the easiest things you can DIY on a car, fitting a spark plug wrong is hard, you just thread it in like bolt, very little can go wrong as long as you have the right tools.

The changing of the antifreeze sounds like an unnecessary chore, how often do you change it?

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hello Everyone.

Changing oil

Changing spark plugs

Changing oil filter

Blowing the air filter

Changing antifreeze

*Brake fluid is still there and I'm told you don't just change it.

Now this guy have developed a tendency of not doing things proper. He rushed his jobs so he can be paid and go and drink beers.

The last time I went to him was to change the control arm bushes rubbers.

He didn't change them he just put grease on the old rubbers and tried to resell the new rubbers.

With someone this dishonest it's difficult trusting them again.

Now I'm considering doing the minor service myself. But I'm worried about spark plug department,I hear if not properly fitted the car may experience serious costly problems. Misfiring etc

Am I paranoid or indeed I must get someone who knows what he's doing and pay them?

Please share your suggestions.

PS: The guy I trusted can no longer be trusted. The guy knows his way around the car. Unfortunately I can't trust him anymore.

because that is not normally a simple job. Requires the tools and a bit of work. ..... A little beyond the capability of a backyard mechanic that does not invested in the tools needed.

Pitbull

Verboten
The 1.4 Jazz has eight spark plugs and believe me the back ones are really a pain in the arse to change.
8?

WTF for? I think you mechanic farked you over and sold the other 4 :D :D :D

Edit: nvm, 2 per cylinder. WTF was Honda thinking? :eek:

qscwbt

Expert Member
Trust me its easier than it looks. Very satisfying to do it yourself. when not sure search a you tube video. there is many videos available. Ask a mate to come help. you will be done in a hour.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ja no more tricky than changing the spark plugs on a VW beetle.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The 1.4 Jazz has eight spark plugs and believe me the back ones are really a pain in the arse to change.
I am fully aware.

But it’s still very much a case of it either being in or out.

A piece of garden hose goes a long way for getting it lined up and the initial turn in.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
8?

WTF for? I think you mechanic farked you over and sold the other 4 :D :D :D

Edit: nvm, 2 per cylinder. WTF was Honda thinking? :eek:
Check the other thread by OP.

It will shine many lights on this one.

KhoisanX

Expert Member
How often do you need to replace the spark plugs? Might only be every 100k km or so, definitely not every time you replace the oil. You should still remove and inspect them though.

thechamp

Honorary Master
How often do you need to replace the spark plugs? Might only be every 100k km or so, definitely not every time you replace the oil. You should still remove and inspect them though.
100k kms sounds extreme, I replace mine every time I do a service, at 15K km, I don't have a service schedule to follow on what to replace, so I replace everything at service time.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Definitely not 100k.

But ultimately it depends on what plug was installed previously.

Could be anything from every second service (30k) or every fourth service (60k) if only done as per schedule.

In the case of the Honda Jazz it’s every 40,000km with Iridium plugs recommended.

At the same time they say if Iridium plugs were used it can be done every 100,000km as per the Indian manual I Googled, so the original statement of 100,000km isn’t too crazy but I’m thinking certainly unusual.

So probably varies from country to country somewhat.

Last edited:

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Yes, laser iridium plugs can last 100k KM. Use them in my Accord :)

Even the service book lists the plug changes at 100k KM intervals.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes, laser iridium plugs can last 100k KM. Use them in my Accord

Even the service book lists the plug changes at 100k KM intervals.
But they cost a fortune.

So you may as well just stop every 50,000km for less money.

In a lesser stressed car like this makes sense since the sportier cars do Iridium plugs every 60,000km.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
R600 for a set of 4 isn't bad. Works out to about the same as replacing a normal set of plugs 4/5 times.

You just save time I guess :D

oscarlets

Well that would explain why you believe changing octanes makes a difference to your car...

Take it to a reputable third party with an actual workshop.

You can't really get a spark plug fitted wrong. It's either in or it isn't.
I hear you. But R750 for such? That's why I'm considering DIY over the weekend.

I have been watching the guy do it and it's not difficult.

1. Drain oil. There's a screw underneath,

2. While oil is draining in a bowl

3. Remove engine cover. Unscrew plugs, insert new plugs, screw them right. Put the engine cover back

4. Now the oil is drained. Put the nut back. Unscrew oil filter. Pour new oil on new oil filter, screw it back.

5. Pour oil from the top lid. Wait few minutes,check level. Pour until the level is on 2nd dot on the dip stick.

6. Take out the air filter, dust it off, (on the next visit to petrol garage, blow it with air pump. Put it back *

7. Start the car, wait and observe it. If no warning light stay on, test drive it.

8. When I return. I'll check oil level. If still normal then the job is done.

9. I Saved R750.

oscarlets

Those are the easiest things you can DIY on a car, fitting a spark plug wrong is hard, you just thread it in like bolt, very little can go wrong as long as you have the right tools.

The changing of the antifreeze sounds like an unnecessary chore, how often do you change it?
Thank you. I have noticed when the guy used to do it for me. Usually it would take him 30 mins or less. I'm really going to do it.

oscarlets

because that is not normally a simple job. Requires the tools and a bit of work. ..... A little beyond the capability of a backyard mechanic that does not invested in the tools needed.
I hear I will need two tools, a wrench and spanner. This I can get at nearest AutoZone for less than R100

The rest is time and patience to ensure everything is done correctly.