Do all fixed wireless WISP options require line of sight?

Vexarus

I am looking at fixed wireless for an option, as Telkom is yet to install a line to my home. I am currently on the Afrihost Mobile 20+20 GB deal (40 GB anytime), but its quite expensive at R1086 (currently).

My question is, do all fixed wireless installations require a line of sight to the respective service provider's tower? I live in an estate that do not allow external antennas (but a DSTV satellite dish is allowed, the irony). I was thinking that if you can get around the line of sight issue, maybe have an antenna on the ground on my stoep (but still out of sight of pesky pedestrians in the estate)

Beachless

Executive Member
Yes they all need line of site. You can possibly put a flat panel in a window or create a weathervane out of an antenna or find some other way to disguise it. Maybe even buy a dish wifi antenna and slap a toptv sticker on it.

Vexarus

Yes they all need line of site. You can possibly put a flat panel in a window or create a weathervane out of an antenna or find some other way to disguise it. Maybe even buy a dish wifi antenna and slap a toptv sticker on it.
Thanks for the information. I thought that might be my only option, going the sneaky-sneaky direction. I heard of some WISPs using existing DSTV dish antennas, do you possibly know of any?

Vexarus

Maybe list your area as well and see if the WISP's that comment on here can make a plan for you.

Telkom also have the LTE "uncapped" option for R799 as far as I know if there is coverage.

http://www.telkom.co.za/today/unlimited-broadband/
I live in Paulshof, Sandton

Thanks, I did look at the LTE uncapped option, but sadly I am out of range of the nearest tower... Would have been my first choice. Otherwise if all else fails, I'll just stay on my current Afrihost Mobile offering and wait for fibre to rollout in Paulshof (currently set to start digging in mid January 2016, but yeah...)