Votes: 134 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 75 33.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.9%

• Total voters

airborne

Honorary Master
Does the 4 or 5 Car guards that I regularly donate to count?

Those smaller donations add up, probably a good R100 or 2 each month paid out to the car guard mafia.

The_MAC

Executive Member
There may be truth to that, but unfortunately people often resort to omission by default i.e. "I don't know where my money goes" (then find a charity where you do know where it goes to), "they will just spend it on booze" (then find a charity that physically hands over food to child headed households).

There are many charities/NPO's that focus on youth development etc. if you looking to support unemployment

The problem is that with so much corruption, people are very despondent to hand over money to fix something that the government should be fixing, and I am not referring to anything out of the ordinary.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Does the 4 or 5 Car guards that I regularly donate to count?

Those smaller donations add up, probably a good R100 or 2 each month paid out to the car guard mafia.
Definitely, these guys (albeit often annoying) now have an income - what they do with it is their business, but at least you are helping these 4-5 people :thumbsup:

The_MAC

Executive Member
Here and there.... should probably do more.

I have been meaning to find a really well managed homeless shelter and make regular contributions.
This is a good strategy - find a solid local charity, one that you can visit often and keep an eye on the state of their operation.

I feel that these big national charities have a lot of unnecessary overhead - I prefer to donate as close to the beneficiary as possible to make the process more meaningful

The_MAC

Executive Member
otherwise, hand out food every so often to beggars I see, don't give them ever in a million years money, as they just go buying drugs with that.
I too never give cash, although I often see them selling the food :(

Substance abuse is a huge problem with the homeless, and the government is useless in providing proper support in this field..

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I used to volunteer in outreaching, but it became too political (not going into it), but otherwise, I partake in sponsoring disadvantaged kids with school necessities.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Yes,

donate to Cotlands
National Institute of the Deaf (this I don't give direct donation - I ask them for students that have not been able to pay for their school tuition to what I can afford) and donate directly into their school fees account to clear the account.

Some various pet shelters

then do some smaller donations to cancer associations

People of adult age I tend not to be so giving too, as most of the time you start helping them out and they just want more and more.

obsidian86

I am a charity and currently open to accepting donations through PayPal or Bitcoin

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA

eg2505

Honorary Master
I too never give cash, although I often see them selling the food :(

Substance abuse is a huge problem with the homeless, and the government is useless in providing proper support in this field..
agreed, and thats even more sad, when they refuse help, even small help and just look for their next hit.
had an Ex GF like this, tried to commit suicide even, did bad stuff, some are beyond help, and that is why I would rather support animal charities.

that are innocent to Human being arrogance and folly, all these Beggars just make their lives more difficult by bringing more children into the world,
why? to spread their suffering to others? explain this to me? makes zero sense.

Akasha

Executive Member
I'll buy a pack of cat/dog food/treats every now and then when I can and drop it in the bin by the Pick n pay entrance.
Last year I did the Santa Shoebox project for myself and a group of people at work. This year I'm doing the same. Personal boxes are from myself, fiancée, niece, and 2 nephews(but their dads are paying for their boxes).

Last year we had about 20 boxes from work. This year we're already over 20 and people are still joining so it's really cool. I might be playing a bit on people's feelings by saying stuff like "There’s just a little bit more than a month to get involved. Please let me know if you’re interested in helping us bring joy to a bunch of little kids." to colleagues :D

RunningFromFat

Expert Member
At least once a year R1000 to spca. Technically also donated for the virtual comrades run.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
There may be truth to that, but unfortunately people often resort to omission by default i.e. "I don't know where my money goes" (then find a charity where you do know where it goes to), "they will just spend it on booze" (then find a charity that physically hands over food to child headed households).

There are many charities/NPO's that focus on youth development etc. if you looking to support unemployment

The problem is that with so much corruption, people are very despondent to hand over money to fix something that the government should be fixing, and I am not referring to anything out of the ordinary.
iu

nazmo

Expert Member
Gift of the Givers as they do amazing work, then I alternate between other charities for different things. Example, disaster relief in winter in CPT, or food relief where needed are often managed by different NGO/NPO's.

Oh. also been donating to the NSRI for the past 15 years via debit order. Also a fantastic organisation.