Do you use the Post Office?

Do you use the Post Office?

• Yes

Votes: 159 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 269 62.9%

• Total voters

Esbendzn

Ive used them previously for China items but then greed set in and they started charging R25 for international parcels...and i didnt receive a few.... i cant even use them to get a fishing licence as there are always none left.... they make copies of a copy of an original....the PO system is failing to such an extent that they closed the one close to us because they couldnt pay their bills

SunilK

Yes, I use them to receive international parcels. Last year I had 50% delivered, however, this year its been 100%. They seem to be doing something right. Also use the for licence renewals.

Londo

I use the PO for Bid or Buy when buying locally. I have not had a problem.

I recently had to mail a letter to the USA and it took about 5 weeks, if I recall. But if it is some vitally important document, usually to the USA then I'll use DHL or FedEx. It hurts as it costs around R400 but you can be pretty confident it will get there. Did not have a good experience when I sent documents to London and goods to the USA with Aramex.

I have given up having any goods mailed to me from the USA as too many packages never made it. I either live without the items or pay FedEx/DHL

carolbyett

I've sent registered items overseas and tracking stops beyond SA and parcels hardly ever arrive so given up on sending anything via PO

SPERUJ

Do you use the SA Post Office for local or international package delivery? If so, what is your experience?
Wow. ..! Bad -People need jobs but out of the 6 or 8 tills, there would be only 2 or 3 workers...I guess they don't have money to pay more workers & the Aircon is never on...coz they're monthly pocketing the money..& Corruption even at the lowest level → the employees including the manager at my post office have been bought off by my enemies (so they've messing with my parcels ,notifying me of them late...)! :mad:

Kelerei

Expert Member
I use DHL exclusively when sending items, even birthday cards, to South Africa. Expensive, but I have zero trust in the South African Post Office and am prepared to pay a premium to ensure that items reach their intended destination.

richjdavies

Anyone have any experience with BangGoods delivery options.

It's not explicit but anyone know whether any of these would avoid the Post Office?

Air parcel register?
Direct Mail?
Or only expedited or ems?

Attachments

W1th

Surprisingly , Post office not that bad when used for international items . I buy a lot from BangGood / Hobbyking etc , these parcels are generally well package and non descriptive. It does take about two months on average, but the hold up is clearly CUSTOMS, every time. From release from customs to my little town on the South Coast it take a week , Johannesburg , Durban , MyTown ..Quick enough.
Had about three parcels disappeared over 6 years period ... but hey , Papal is your friend !

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
In order to use the Post Office, don't they have to actually provide some kind of service?

(I mean other than raping and killing women)

LOTR

Have a PO Box for the dregs of the mails (those that are not able to email/those that I don't want to provide my email address to/those that I believe need to incur an added expense for getting stuff to me). Collect these about once every 2 months. Also for vehicle licence renewals. Otherwise I avoid like the plague.

TonytheNoble1

I have a post-box, used mainly when I subscribed to magazines that used to get nicked out of my post-box at home. Now they nick them at the sorting facility so I get a courier delivery. Use them also to renew car licences. I would not trust them to deliver any letter on time nor post any parcels. I get a pensioner discount for the post-box, otherwise I would probably cancel that too. Just a schlep to update my postal address.

neelsvan

Not anymore. Used to order a lot from overseas for business. About 80% arrived.
Then gambled on a big order from China.
Arrived in SA within 2 weeks. Then finally surfaced 7 months later.
Not worth the risk for business.

rh1

I buy a lot of small stuff from Aliexpress. Average delivery time is 2 to 3 months. Most of the stuff that was refunded which I raised a dispute, was not the Post Office, but either not dispatched or dispatched to other countries and not forwarded on to RSA. It comes to JHB quite quickly and then the wait begins. As I buy frequently, what is weird is that I have packages still at the JHB hub and packages that arrived in the country afterwards and which I have already collected. The attached screenshot is an anomoly. 2 weeks.

Attachments

Kobus de Kock

I use Postnet. The last time my sister sent a doc to me by PO Fastmail it took more than a week from Robertson to Strand..

Mbombok

Do you use the SA Post Office for local or international package delivery? If so, what is your experience?

Yes ,I do use Post Office for both Local and International services.My feeling is that the Post Office services are becoming expensive.I think it was better when it was under a Government Department.

wizzball

Only for items coming from Wish or AliExpress, not out of choice as they are terrible.