Do you use WhatsApp calling more often than regular cellphone calls?

Do you use WhatsApp calling more often than regular cellphone calls?

  • Yes

    Votes: 60 28.2%
  • No

    Votes: 153 71.8%

  • Total voters
    213

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Joined
Jul 22, 2003
Messages
66,806
Reaction score
5,057
Location
Johannesburg
WhatsApp calling is much cheaper than traditional voice calls, but do you use the WhatsApp service more often than regular cellphone calls?
 
Nope, 1500 minutes plus on mobile, 1 Whatsapp call (received)

Don't see it as a profesional service. How would it look like to clients when calling them?

I don't like it because the SP can increase the data billing rate for VoIP calls, so when people call me, I don't have a choice regarding call cost/data cost.
 
Last edited:
Rarely, if ever(?), use Whatsapp calling but I use Facetime (audio, not video) on a daily basis.
 
No I find the Whatsapp call quality to be very bad. Skype is better quality.
 
I've got so many minutes with my MTN contract that I don't see the need to use Whatsapp calling.
 
When people call me on WhatsApp I usually decline the call and call back normally.
 
I do not accept Whatsapp calls. Only regular calls.
 
Making:
Whatsapp calls are bad quality so no.
How do I know the other side has data or enough data for call to be handled? #notadouche

Receiving
Sure, whatever, if the quality is too bad I'll drop the call.
 
I make and receive a lot of Whatsapp calls. Often the quality is very iffy though, and I have to make a proper phone call.
 
All the time, the quality is almost always great. We have adsl at home so calliing over the wifi is free.

For the recipient of the call if an outgoing call too?*

Obviously it is free if the other person is also using the same wifi or another uncapped product elsewhere
 
I only use Whatsapp to call - simply because I'm working in Madagascar most of the time and I'm on a local sim here, so data charges are much cheaper than voice back to SA.

Even when I'm home, i use Whatsapp most of the time, it saves my partner money as he has a 6GB data contract and about R180 airtime on his phone at any given time so data is far cheaper than recharge (on his prepaid)
 
My answer was also no - though Whatsapp has made the error of trying to call when Im not trying to do that (open messages from someone and it starts calling instead of showing the messages) - the biggest problem being that in the last week it has happened 3 times. Some times its easy to cancel, sometimes it takes a while to cancel. If I was making calls properly it would be fine but I dont usualy call people (unless I have to) - its a rare call that is needed. When people arent using ADSL or whatever for these calls they are using too much data unfortunately (learned from my errors calling people) - 5mb in 10 seconds? Nope...
 
When I was working in the US, I would use it a lot and it generally worked great.

Back home not so much due to several things this limited data, terrible signal, convenience etc.
 
Whatsapp and Facetime voice almost daily, mostly to people who I know are on wifi. The call quality is better than a normal voice call
 
Mostly with immediate family and friends.

but call quality is a hit and miss. if it's bad usually drop call and call back normally.
I find that call quality is much better in open areas like on the highway or in the suburbs compared to when i'm in town or in the office.
 
No. But I have 28 missed calls on Whatsapp. People often accidentally hit the call button when their fat thumbs try hit the ⋮ ??
 
I actually do use this when my minutes are depleted. Only for close friends and family though. Found that if both parties are on wifi the quality as not bad at all. If both are on 4g or LTE it's good as well. It's much better lately than it was when it first launched in my opinion
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X