Documentaries

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Hi fellow denizens of MyBB.

I love watching documentaries.

I would appreciate any recommendations from any of you.

No particular subject either, anything interesting will do.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
"The Universe" series on the History Channel is my personal favourite, but that's only because I'm a fan of space doccies.

syntax

Executive Member
Documentaries are cool, Auto-biographies/biographies are better..
Got a copy of the robert downey jnr biography, should be interesting read...
sad to note however, the book cost me R220, the prince of persia dvd was advertised for something like R130...no wonder no one reads anymore

as Documentaries go:
hawkings universe was pretty cool

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
Darwin's Dangerous Idea

Darwin's Dangerous Idea a three-part series presented by Andrew Marr showing how the theory of evolution has influenced politics and society in the last 150 years.
Interesting documentary if you haven't seen it yet.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
"The Universe" series on the History Channel is my personal favourite, but that's only because I'm a fan of space doccies.
As am I, will check it out. Busy watching "Into the Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman, enjoying it.

Touching the Void blew me away.
It is brilliant.

Man on Wire.
Brilliant. Crazy ****ers though.

History of lsd was cool.
Seen it. :D

BBC - The Atom
Thanks.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I loved Ancient Astronauts that Rouxenator sent me! Very interesting.

I also enjoy Earth Investigated
Aircrash Investigation
Taboo (Dont think its on anymore though)
Megastructures (God please stop repeating these to death though and get some new material!)

Keeper

Honorary Master
"Who killed the electric car"
"Earthlings" - Yes, I watched it eventually - very hard core, and pretty much 10x worse than you expect. it's about the meat industry and animal cruelty. I wouldn't really recommend it, but it WAS a good docu to be fair.
"Planet Earth" very nice!!
"The True Story of the Internet" was awesome too.

I've got a link to a thread if you want, where people *cough* rapidly share info on the topic. it's a thread about "Hard hitting documentaries" though, hectic stuff.

Palimino

Expert Member
Hi fellow denizens of MyBB.

I love watching documentaries.

I would appreciate any recommendations from any of you.

No particular subject either, anything interesting will do.
Try ‘Marijuana Inc.

America (specifically California) is making justifying noises to counteract the years of anti-drug dogma. It may be [in California], at least decriminalised, in the near future. The whole (well 65%) of the economy of California depends on it. It is already semi-legal, mainly contradictions between state and federal law (the state is tolerant [California] while the fed (America) is intolerant). There are even academies and universities in California (which pay taxes – the fed benefitting from an ‘illegal’ enterprise) on pot growing. Housewives do it – especially with the credit crunch. How else can they make a buck. It is a **very** sophisticated enterprise (formalised) – much more so than clandestine activities. I saw this on TV – CNBC and it’s called ‘Marijuana Inc.’ No link that I know of but it is still aired and there must be a link on their site.

This documentary goes into it. It’s about an hour.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I loved Ancient Astronauts that Rouxenator sent me! Very interesting.

I also enjoy Earth Investigated
Aircrash Investigation
Taboo (Dont think its on anymore though)
Megastructures (God please stop repeating these to death though and get some new material!)
Thanks. :D

"Who killed the electric car"
"Earthlings" - Yes, I watched it eventually - very hard core, and pretty much 10x worse than you expect. it's about the meat industry and animal cruelty. I wouldn't really recommend it, but it WAS a good docu to be fair.
"Planet Earth" very nice!!
"The True Story of the Internet" was awesome too.

I've got a link to a thread if you want, where people *cough* rapidly share info on the topic. it's a thread about "Hard hitting documentaries" though, hectic stuff.
I have seen most of those, except for 'The True Story of the Internet', although it rings a bell actually.

I'll take that link, thanks. :)

Try ‘Marijuana Inc.

America (specifically California) is making justifying noises to counteract the years of anti-drug dogma. It may be [in California], at least decriminalised, in the near future. The whole (well 65%) of the economy of California depends on it. It is already semi-legal, mainly contradictions between state and federal law (the state is tolerant [California] while the fed (America) is intolerant). There are even academies and universities in California (which pay taxes – the fed benefitting from an ‘illegal’ enterprise) on pot growing. Housewives do it – especially with the credit crunch. How else can they make a buck. It is a **very** sophisticated enterprise (formalised) – much more so than clandestine activities. I saw this on TV – CNBC and it’s called ‘Marijuana Inc.’ No link that I know of but it is still aired and there must be a link on their site.

This documentary goes into it. It’s about an hour.
I have seen it, and probably every drug related documentary ever made. :p

Chicken Boo

The Century of the self - BBC

It's almost unbelievable how so many aspects of modern consumer lifestyle were created and implemented by one man (Edward Bernays).

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Oh, The Devil's Bible is pretty interesting damn too. Especially given your interest in philosophical stuff.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
BBC "Life" Series

Basically anything by National Geographic, Discovery or the History Channel.

National Geographic "Traveler's Guide to the Planets"

Megastructures

Seconds from Disaster

BCO

Honorary Master
I'd recommend Earthlings, but it's not a fun watch.

Another goodie - especially on Blu Ray - is:

[video=youtube;jqxENMKaeCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU[/video].