Doom Eternal

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
That musical homage in the intro to the original games is just pure awesome.

Haven’t spent too much time with it but so far everything except the immersion breaking tutorials is pure awesomeness.

Just turn the blood motion blur and film grain off. Why is this **** still in games?
There are people who like the cinematic feel of it or so it is dubbed when enabled. After Resident Evil 2 you won't see it gone anytime soon.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There are people who like the cinematic feel of it or so it is dubbed when enabled. After Resident Evil 2 you won't see it gone anytime soon.
This is the part I don’t get.

When last has cinema even had film grain? Decades ago.

Why do we **** up the visual clarity of games with this kak that isn’t even presented in the thing it actually represents.

It’s stupid.

What did Resi 2 do that makes it special?

I have never found a single game where this didn’t make the experience far worse.

SHL

Just saw the final boss battle. Quite disappointing. The game itself looks really awesome and thought they would come up with something out of this world for the final battle....unfortunately not.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Just saw the final boss battle. Quite disappointing. The game itself looks really awesome and thought they would come up with something out of this world for the final battle....unfortunately not.
I've watched videos of it.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone else, but yeah I also find it underwhelming.

Like, it doesn't look horrifying enough. It is a plain boring brown demon. Yes, it is huge, and that is cool, and I like that it reminds people of the first Icon of Sin battle from Doom 2, but it just doesn't look like a horrifying enough demon.

They could have removed the idea of shooting off its armor, and turned it into a mechanical monster like a cyberdemon, where mechanical parts are now part of its body. Glowing red eyes, glowing demonic runes, etc etc, they could have made it look much scarier. Instead of looks like they supersized a goat.

Okty

Expert Member
Got the game. Can’t talk - busy with some cultural exchanges with the mortally challenged.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Urdak (level 12/13) has one ****** of a cheap boss at teh end :unsure:

[:mad:] too little ammo
[:mad:] can only get ammo through headshots
[:mad:] can only damage boss through heartshots
[:mad:] 90% floor on fire
[:mad:] you will miss the small timed window (a few times)
[:mad:] you will fly off the stage

only thing that would make me happy there is marauders. lol.

going to watch a vid on that one and git gud later. :confused:

edit
Seems easy when I look at this :ROFL:

I see where I went wrong after the vid and few attempts:
1. On queue that will burn the ground and reallocate
2. SSG to close the gap is easier than jump + air movement only
3. Freeze > pop heads also work quicker than trying to flawlessly headshot them
4. Keep the bfg one shot for the last round to drain quickly on the boss.

Last edited:

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Don't get me wrong it's still top notch, but there's just something about 2016 I liked more, perhaps because it was heavier?
I see. My reverse reading fails me or I've auto corrected your sentence to the correct one :ROFL:

When we finally have the DE:OST I'll revisit this as I can compare them end to end, but I think both are great. D2016 MG established his mastery and with DE he just took it further.

HerZeLeiD

This is the part I don’t get.

When last has cinema even had film grain? Decades ago.

Why do we **** up the visual clarity of games with this kak that isn’t even presented in the thing it actually represents.

It’s stupid.

What did Resi 2 do that makes it special?

I have never found a single game where this didn’t make the experience far worse.
I actually enjoy some film grain in some games (singleplayer only) and I always put it much lower than default. I find it sometimes helps hide bad aliasing in games that uses very bad anti-aliasing techniques. Supposedly, it can also help hide color-banding as well.

Personally I think the most useless and silly visual effect is Chromatic aberration. The effect is literally mimicking a bad camera lens. The first game I saw it in was Payday 2 and now it's in every game. Luckily like film grain it can be turned off.

1585056891632.png

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Anyone else feel that the music was better in Doom 2016?
D-2016 the music all felt more or less the same. While I enjoyed it as a whole it could literally have been one long track the way it was presented.

Here it varies and changes and I quite like that.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
I've watched videos of it.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone else, but yeah I also find it underwhelming.

Like, it doesn't look horrifying enough. It is a plain boring brown demon. Yes, it is huge, and that is cool, and I like that it reminds people of the first Icon of Sin battle from Doom 2, but it just doesn't look like a horrifying enough demon.

They could have removed the idea of shooting off its armor, and turned it into a mechanical monster like a cyberdemon, where mechanical parts are now part of its body. Glowing red eyes, glowing demonic runes, etc etc, they could have made it look much scarier. Instead of looks like they supersized a goat.
Agreed. Thought you were talking about the fight which isn't so hard, but it's not over so quickly either.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I gave in and bought it.

I'm gonna say something controversial here - that I think Doom 2016 was the better game.

Why? Because they added too many mechanics to the combat in DE. The grenade launcher, the flamethrower, the chainsaw, the different weapons that you have to use in order to survive. There is much more to remember and concentrate on while fighting those big battles.

The simplicity of Doom 2016, in my mind, made it flow better. It made me enjoy the fights more. When I died in Doom 2016, I felt like I deserved it.

I finished Doom 2016 on medium or whatever they call it, with few problems.

In Doom Eternal, I feel like I have to play on Easy or else I will just get too frustrated.

I like the story, I like the environments, I like the monsters, but the gunplay just feels off. Too much going on, too difficult.

And don't tell me git gud, I really don't care. As I said, I generally play FPS games on medium. But not DE, I'll destroy my keyboard if I do.

Iwojima

Expert Member
I gave in and bought it.

I'm gonna say something controversial here - that I think Doom 2016 was the better game.

Why? Because they added too many mechanics to the combat in DE. The grenade launcher, the flamethrower, the chainsaw, the different weapons that you have to use in order to survive. There is much more to remember and concentrate on while fighting those big battles.

The simplicity of Doom 2016, in my mind, made it flow better. It made me enjoy the fights more. When I died in Doom 2016, I felt like I deserved it.

In Doom Eternal, I feel like I have to play on Easy or else I will just get too frustrated.

I like the story, I like the environments, I like the monsters, but the gunplay just feels off. Too much going on, too difficult.

And don't tell me git gud, I really don't care. As I said, I generally play FPS games on medium. But not DE, I'll destroy my keyboard if I do.
Stick with it. It does feel a bit "unfair" to begin with, but after a few levels and some upgrades you'll get a good flow going.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
I gave in and bought it.

Just tryout these tips (below) it's better to get smart than get good. It is an intentionally hard game and you might suffer because they've made it less accessible. I've completed it on the second difficulty (hurt me plenty?) and don't feel bad about it. Might go and do some UN/N later on.

What I think they could have changed is:
1. Less color pinata boms - takes away and distracts imho and it is just retarded.
2. Less commander keen ratio to gunplay - I don't mind the parkouring but some places its just meh.
3. Marauder add sword play, blocking and riposte - The dev went on and on and on and on about its going to be the kenobi you meet, but you can't perform stop hits or actually parry and counter with your sword. I would have liked that as per actual dark souls like encounter.
4. Icon of sin - Massively disappointing in the looks department and the same could be said about the fight. The boss before him already did what you had to do with him to an extent and they could have done so much more with him. At least dress the ****er like an actual horrific icon of sin. (perhaps they should have talked to the agony devs if they needed some tips)

Did the game challenge me? - yes.
Did it make me want to !#$!#$!? - more than enough.
But did I enjoy some of it to most of it? - yes, but as above.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
So after I've watched UV play though, I came to realise how useful the slow down time while attack is. You can literally while going in a downwards arc from jump or ledge, go to sticky bomb and selectively start to disable the demon's weak points before you've even hit the ground. Then of course, flip to something and add te finisher.