DStv is bleeding Premium subscribers

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

MultiChoice has published its interim financial results for the period ended 30 September 2020, showing a steep decline in DStv Premium subscribers.

The group added 2.1 million 90-day active subscribers across all regions compared to the same period last year, reaching 8.7 million households in South Africa.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Here is more bad news for DSTV. This is only the beginning! Once DSTV loses their grip on sport, we want to see then what is left of them!
I actually enjoy many DSTv channels.
I don't watch often though.

As a source of media and general entertainment I think their content is pretty good.

Edit: pricey, but good.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I actually enjoy many DSTv channels.
I don't watch often though.

As a source of media and general entertainment I think their content is pretty good.

Edit: pricey, but good.
It depends on how often you watch.
I cancelled about 5 years ago before switching to fully streamed tv. Last year I was house sitting for my inlaws that have DSTV so I flicked through some channels, I was shocked to see they were still playing episodes of shows that I had watched when I still had DSTV.

Nereus77

Eh? My DStv Premium money goes to good Internet (which is useful for work & entertainment) + Netflix. Why the hell would I want to add 100+ channels (most of which go unwatched) to that?

DStv Premium is for people with money to burn. The pandemic has left some jobless, most of us are cash-strapped. South Africans toss DStv Premium out first during financially bad times. They should know this by now.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
iu

|tera|

Master of Messengers
It depends on how often you watch.
I cancelled about 5 years ago before switching to fully streamed tv. Last year I was house sitting for my inlaws that have DSTV so I flicked through some channels, I was shocked to see they were still playing episodes of shows that I had watched when I still had DSTV.
On OVHD the episodes are 10 years behind.

I know the feeling :p

maumau

Honorary Master
They thought they were sitting pretty with all their eggs in the sports basket - COVID sure showed them!

PAYBACK

Expert Member
These Muppets even managed to **** up a family tradition which was the Sunday night 20:00. Hey but at least there's KIX!

Shadowchaser1

Ex cit. Why would you still have DSTV. It's old school. Get a decent Internet connection & Amazon Firestick. I think in SA it's about R 800 for the AF. Go to Youtube, type in Curiocity Cafe, check out what the dude has to say. No monthly rental etc. A friend of mine did it and loves it.

MeestaR

Expert Member

MultiChoice has published its interim financial results for the period ended 30 September 2020, showing a steep decline in DStv Premium subscribers.

The group added 2.1 million 90-day active subscribers across all regions compared to the same period last year, reaching 8.7 million households in South Africa.
The only reason why most people had DSTV Premium, because of the sport package, SuperSport. Is watching a rugby game or cricket or whatever worth R819 per month?
If DSTV wanted to make money, they should have made a sports only package, only for people who wants to watch Supersport channels. Rugby is a big part of the South African culture.
No wastage of other channels.

Swa

Honorary Master
Interesting since MC lumped Compact Plus with Premium so it wouldn't appear like there was a mass conversion. Now that has come back to bite them as well. Not surprising since the extra channels on Compact Plus showed mostly repeats during the Covid pandemic.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Good. I love my sport and this will hopefully see them keeping the price rises to something negligible. This is just a market correction taking place thanks to competition, they've had an unbelievable strangle hold for far too long.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
And they are suprised, or they would have done something about it, that addressed the issue ... , the long slippery slope ...