DStv launches Amazon Prime Video on Explora Ultra decoder

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
DStv launches Amazon Prime Video on Explora Ultra decoder

DStv has added Amazon Prime Video to its recently-launched Explora Ultra decoder, the company announced in a statement.

DStv customers with a Prime Video membership can now access the entertainment service, ranging from movies and TV series, including Amazon Originals, with a click of a button on the Explora Ultra.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Stupid idea. I'm guessing if you don't pay for DSTV these Netflix and prime features will magically stop working?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I was helping my granny with her decoder a week back and I saw there's dedicated channels for Showmax and Netflix. The content was blocked due to the package she is on.

But what actually is on those channels?

Her decoder is a single view decoder but has a ethernet Port

system32

Expert Member
Stupid idea. I'm guessing if you don't pay for DSTV these Netflix and prime features will magically stop working?
AFAIK, your DSTV subscription has to be active to use any Apps on the Ultra.
You can't use Netflix / Amazon Prime Video - even if your Netflix / Amazon Video is paid separately.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
I was helping my granny with her decoder a week back and I saw there's dedicated channels for Showmax and Netflix. The content was blocked due to the package she is on.

Showmax and Netflix?

system32

Expert Member

If you have an Ultra, these channels are just long-shortcuts to the apps
494 - DSTV "Now" App
495 - ShowMax App
496 - Netflix App

Gudnews

This whole offering is for uninformed people and I'm not sure there are enough of them to make it successful.

justplain

Expert Member
Is the software that supports Netflix and Amazon Prime only available on the new Explora Ultra decoder?
Or will they roll it out out to previous models? (those that support ethernet/wifi for internet content)