DSTV Now - Buffering

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Monday evening for the Arsenal game, DSTV Now was buffering so bad, it was unwatchable - last night it was fine. Will see what tonite offers. NetFlix was fine.

10mbps ADSL line, at home, witch typically downloads at 10.5 mbps.

Hopefully tomorrow night will be fine - Europa League games on.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
When we stream through LitBox it’s is very slow, when I stream though the website it usually works perfect..
I watch, on a LIT box or a Mi Box, and most times it is fine, except when there are significant sporting events on, then DSTV Now is guaranteed to fall over. During same time frame Netflix streams perfectly. Showmax follows a similar pattern, then my Significant Other just switches over to NetFlix, which just works ... If DSTV, cannot deliver a proper streaming service, they must give it up as a bad job, and roll over and die.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Was watching on PC last night and had to go down to 720, 1080 was buffering too much.

#FirstWorldProblems :ROFL:

caroper

Executive Member
... most times it is fine, except when there are significant sporting events on...
Fortunately I only Use it to Catch the news occasionally or to watch F1 and, as F1 is one of the "significant sporting events", I generally get a good response in my Man Cave whilst the Wife Watches Netflix in the lounge.

Hemps

Executive Member
As far as I'm concerned they have had plenty time to sort out the buffering nonsense.
Pointless watching it on the big screen TV if quality is 480p as well.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Fortunately I only Use it to Catch the news occasionally or to watch F1 and, as F1 is one of the "significant sporting events", I generally get a good response in my Man Cave whilst the Wife Watches Netflix in the lounge.
Generally, I think you are fortunate :)

jeevadotnet

100/100 Mbps fibre here - having the same issue from DSTVapp on TV (TV is network connected). My mikrotik router doesn't even show 1mbps traffic from the TV. The program will start playing in low quality and the moment it readjust the resolution to something higher a few seconds later it freezes "buffering". frustrating! Watching 4K streams from oversea CDN's without issues ~17mbps per stream each.

neoprema

Expert Member
DSTV would not know how to stream something if their lives depended on it.

They're a dinosaur focused on fleecing people. Technology is 10th priority...

I've streamed Netflix over a half-baked 3G connection in Malawi in the rurals running at less than 2mbps. I can hardly stream DSTV Now on my 100mbps fibre at home..

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
DSTV would not know how to stream something if their lives depended on it.

They're a dinosaur focused on fleecing people. Technology is 10th priority...

I've streamed Netflix over a half-baked 3G connection in Malawi in the rurals running at less than 2mbps. I can hardly stream DSTV Now on my 100mbps fibre at home..
Change your ISP then.
Haven't had issues for half a year at least.

Only live events might have an issue

jeevadotnet

It is only sometimes and then it is for 4-8hour segments. Changing ISPs shouldn't be a solution. I'm with MacroLAN-Seacom for fibre

crawler

Switching from 4mbs adsl to fibre made world of difference

Run full 1080 hd now with very little issues compared to SD before with constant buffering

djbrendan

Expert Member
Dstv now is so k$k
My old adsl 10mbps line buffers..
Now i have 100mbps fibre and still same issue. This is with the tv being plugged into the router.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Dstv now is so k$k
My old adsl 10mbps line buffers..
Now i have 100mbps fibre and still same issue. This is with the tv being plugged into the router.
DSTV is a lucky packet, you good today, shite tomorrow - and who knows the day after ... , your ISP might also be a factor, but yeah ...

djbrendan

Expert Member
DSTV is a lucky packet, you good today, shite tomorrow - and who knows the day after ... , your ISP might also be a factor, but yeah ...
This is true..

But with the isp's , i was with Vox adsl, now it's home connect on frogfoots fibre.

Netflix does Uhd easssy and the same for youtube. Switch over to dstv for sport... Bleh