DSTV problem - unable to get certain channels suddenly

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
After months or relatively stable signal our DSTV has decided to go haywire.

Facts:
We are in the CBD of Cape Town. We can no longer access any of the BBC channels - Prime on 120 , lifestyle on 180 or knowledge on 251. It has been this way for a week now, though occasionally one of the channels will work.

The error message on the screen is "There is a problem connecting to the service press MENU 13 to rescan. If it persists contact installer"

Called DSTV - they reckon there is nothing they can do their side and it's either a problem with the decoder or that the dish has been moved out of alignment due to rain or wind.

We have not had this issue before and it's only these channels and not all the time.
We haven't moved the dish and the weather has not been any different to the way it normally is.
The decoder is just a normal one, not dualview or PVR or anything fancy...
We have tried rescanning, removing the smart card, turning off the decoder and leaving it off all day. Nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

:(

ponder

Honorary Master
Any ideas?

:(

Get the decoder swapped out at one of the multichoice centres.

This is probably one of the worst products I have seen in my life to be honest. They always develop some sort of issue.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Sounds like an alignment and skew or LNB issue and not the decoder. All those channels come of the same horizontal transponder. You will see ESPNC and Nickelodeon is also gone. Is FTV, Crime or Animal Planet giving you any issues? Get a good installer to check it out. If you want a referral, PM me.

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Sounds like alignment and skew and not the decoder. All those channels come of the same horizontal transponder. You will see ESPNC and Nickelodeon is also gone. Is FTV, Crime or Animal Planet giving you any issues? Get a good installer to check it out. If you want a referral, PM me.

The channels you mention are also all gone :eek:

So it is an alignment thing and there is nothing we can do without getting someone in? :(

Eyenstyn

Did you try unplugging your decoder, waiting 15 seconds, and then reconnecting it?

I had this problem before, its normally an update for thee software that needs to be downloaded and it does that when you unplug the decoder and reconnect it - automatically.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Did you try unplugging your decoder, waiting 15 seconds, and then reconnecting it?

I had this problem before, its normally an update for thee software that needs to be downloaded and it does that when you unplug the decoder and reconnect it - automatically.

I have tried this - have not done software upgrade but it normally does that automatically...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It def sounds like your LNB is not in alignment anymore..

Any decent dstv installer should be able to sort it out for you in about 10mins though.

stretch72

Yup - your dish needs re-peaking. You'll probably find, being Spring and all, that some swinish tree has grown some leaves that are blocking the signal.

Carbon_Fibre

Expert Member
It def sounds like your LNB is not in alignment anymore..

Any decent dstv installer should be able to sort it out for you in about 10mins though.

+1. I had this problem a few years back. But I had to replace the LNB.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I shall go and inspect the dish and return with my expert findings...:)

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
My preliminary reports are inconclusive. It looks like a satellite dish :eek:

Much the same as it has looked all along. It seems very rigid...And there is nothing in its line of sight that has changed, either.

Carbon_Fibre

Expert Member
My preliminary reports are inconclusive. It looks like a satellite dish :eek:

Much the same as it has looked all along. It seems very rigid...And there is nothing in its line of sight that has changed, either.

:D

Call an installer. But first try to find out the price of an LNB so you don't get ripped off.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
My signal strength does not get above 56% and quality is around 92% apparently...

bekdik

Honorary Master
Did you check to see if the LNB is loose? I had a problem where an over zealous techie over tightened the clip. I made a replacement out of an aluminum strip and wrapped it around the LNB to stop it from flopping.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Did you check to see if the LNB is loose? I had a problem where an over zealous techie over tightened the clip. I made a replacement out of an aluminum strip and wrapped it around the LNB to stop it from flopping.

I didn't...How rigid is it meant to be? Not able to move at all?

Milano

Honorary Master
Do you use special network settings under home networks or just plug in and go like a regular house?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
So i went out and gave the dish a good scientific prod and gentle rattle - and all the channels are back :eek: :D

Coincidence?

I don't get it...

rabbiddog

Expert Member
So i went out and gave the dish a good scientific prod and gentle rattle - and all the channels are back :eek: :D

Coincidence?

I don't get it...

Lose/bad connection on the cable with the LNB, or the connection is not water proof any more.