DStv's biggest threat

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
DStv's biggest threat

MultiChoice has been bleeding DStv Premium subscribers to Netflix since affordable uncapped fibre became available in South Africa.

The same thing is set to happen to other DStv packages when cheap data becomes available to a large part of the population.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Adapt or die,

looks like Die it will be, but not before introducing TV licenses and cadre feeding schemes to everybody

lordnokon

Well with a RAIN connection and fibre, I cannot even stream certain channels from DSTV Premium on any of my smart TV's.

And by streaming the same **** over and over does not help the cause, what did you expect was going to happen?

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
they'll have to invest heavily in updating their streaming service, because having to constantly refresh the page because "something went wrong" is not how it's meant to be done. watching live sport with that issue, plus the buffering and the potato-d resolution is not fun.

craigzaLFC

Until someone can provide an alternative to the sport DSTV have the rights to, they will continue to offer a below par product offering, heavily overpriced.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I'm not convinced that DSTV is in as much trouble as we think. My parents are the only people I know who have given up their subscription. Every single other person who had DSTV premium 5 years ago, still do. Gotta have that sport.

craigzaLFC

Agreed. Sport is why I have premium, and that's why DSTV work hard to secure the rights to all sport available, this is were they spend big money.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
I'm not convinced that DSTV is in as much trouble as we think. My parents are the only people I know who have given up their subscription. Every single other person who had DSTV premium 5 years ago, still do. Gotta have that sport.

Most of my family (Approximately 18 households) cancelled DSTV and went with data+streaming and free-to-air satellite for their traditional/cultural music and series.

sdikgetsi

Until someone can provide an alternative to the sport DSTV have the rights to, they will continue to offer a below par product offering, heavily overpriced.
If you have "affordable uncapped data" go the IPTV route and you will render Dstv obsolete.

sdikgetsi

Affordable broadband access in this country has the potential to create roughly 5 million jobs. The sleepy SA government must prioritize this.

Dstv will be obsolete unless they push on streaming options. Many subscribers that are abandoning premium package, like me, found happy moments on streaming - IPTV. So much value there which Dstv cannot match.

HumanShield

Cheap data is one of the reasons and probably the biggest reason that accelerated the bleeding of premium subs. But is myBB going to ignore the fact that they have not innovated or added value to any kind of DSTV package whatsoever. There is no value add to it. Sure PVR. Whoopie. That novelty has worn off ages ago.
I get that they cant do much when it's an international event, but what about local cricket and soccer when it's their territory. No "red button" type interactive functionality like you see with sky I think. Where you can select the camera angle you want.
We're still watching in HD? What is this 2010? Other networks are in UHD already yet some channels are still at SD. Nah, they had monopoly thinking and now it's coming together for them

justplain

Expert Member
exactly, offer full premium for R500 and see how many subs they suddenly get.
At almost R1000 a month for premium it's a bridge too far for many. Make it R500 and people will make a plan.

Shadowchaser1

A mate of mine in SA, got himself Amazon's Fire Stick. Paid 1nce off R about R 800 for it. He has a good Fibre connection and watches all sport and different channels. Not sure how much he pays for internet. Gave up his DSTV and says he does not miss it. Watches all the same sport that DSTV gives. I have a feeling data is not going to get cheaper in SA, your Gov has no business sense. They will need to drop loads of spectrum, which they either don't have or will release, bit by bit. Depends on the money situation.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
A mate of mine in SA, got himself Amazon's Fire Stick. Paid 1nce off R about R 800 for it. He has a good Fibre connection and watches all sport and different channels. Not sure how much he pays for internet. Gave up his DSTV and says he does not miss it. Watches all the same sport that DSTV gives. I have a feeling data is not going to get cheaper in SA, your Gov has no business sense. They will need to drop loads of spectrum, which they either don't have or will release, bit by bit. Depends on the money situation.
your mate would also need to pay for the subscription service that he is watching that sport and the other programs on as well. As the stick is just a streaming device like a Mi box or Roku.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Affordable broadband access in this country has the potential to create roughly 5 million jobs. The sleepy SA government must prioritize this.

Dstv will be obsolete unless they push on streaming options. Many subscribers that are abandoning premium package, like me, found happy moments on streaming - IPTV. So much value there which Dstv cannot match.
The problem I find with IPTV's is the quality of the stream. I have tried a couple and they have all sucked. I now just stream directly from the content providers themselves.