DTV set-top boxes: Subsidies and targets

DJTazzz

I would have thought that the percentage subsidy need would be a lot higher. I mean, how many people actually pay their TV license? The difference would then be the lot the government needs to fund.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
To hell with it. I have had digital TV for 16 years now, they can stuff their DVB-T, T2 and what ever. I'll never get anything but DVB-S

TJ99

Honorary Master
So who's going to pay for that 6%? I thought they were going to get rid of TV licences, and there's no way anyone who's currently forced to pay the licence fees are going to voluntarily pay for set-top boxes just so they can see how crap the SABC is in crystal clear digital TV...

Daruk

Honorary Master
I think this will equate to egg on face for gvt. Can you imagine. A community doesn't have access to basic services but they get a TV subsidy. How many people are going to wait in the government queue to hear if they are getting subsidies? Remind me again how the RDP project is coming along?

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
The difference would then be the lot the government needs to fund.
Its not the government doing the funding, its the taxpayers of this country.

MVGL

+1 - again and again the taxpayers fork out the bill...where's that vaseline again?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
They should just turned off terrestrial broadcasts and everyone will switch to DVB-S

Tomasz-London

How true!

I think this will equate to egg on face for gvt. Can you imagine. A community doesn't have access to basic services but they get a TV subsidy. How many people are going to wait in the government queue to hear if they are getting subsidies? Remind me again how the RDP project is coming along?
100% correct!

But also, from some basic calculations, it seems that the subsidy per box will be R476.
Now is this a 100% subsidy (and this then is cost of the box) or a partial and the rest must be paid in?

Daruk

Honorary Master
That last bit will make a difference. I'm willing to bet the peeps getting subsidies will be selling their boxes as soon as they arrive. Street vendors at the jozi traffic lights will be peddling subsidized boxes that 'fell off the back of a truck' to the redneck population who don't see the irony in supporting these guys to save a hundred bob.

Tns

Executive Member
if i don't get a stb do i still have to pay a tv license?

Daruk

Honorary Master
if i don't get a stb do i still have to pay a tv license?
What would you use a TV for otherwise? Or are you referring to Multichoice? I imagine you need one for Multichoice too - good Q though.