E-tags rolling out to other provinces

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The best way to reduce congestion at toll plazas is to remove toll plazas and stop charging people to drive on roads that they have already paid for through their taxes.

OMB

Mountain Man
The best way to reduce congestion at toll plazas is to remove toll plazas and stop charging people to drive on roads that they have already paid for through their taxes.

ain't gonna happen

Cool E

Expert Member
"Van Niekerk said that by using e-tags, motorists would be able to proceed smoothly through toll plazas without having to stop and physically pay. This would reduce traffic congestion at toll plazas."

This will helps us Taxi drivers.

bin3

Funny how they had to build the gantries, and have to pay them off over the next 5 years, but they can introduce etags to existing infrastructure elsewhere.

So: If we didn't have the gantries, would we be paying 70% less?

OMB

Mountain Man
some confusing reporting, saw the same article on timeslive

The e-tolling system’s e-tags will roll out to other provinces, according to Sanral

However, this did not mean that the e-tolling system would be rolled out to the rest of the country.

“There is no decision by government as far as what happens to other provinces,” said transport department spokesman Tiyani Rikhotso.

so which is it??

OMB

Mountain Man
"Van Niekerk said that by using e-tags, motorists would be able to proceed smoothly through toll plazas without having to stop and physically pay. This would reduce traffic congestion at toll plazas."

This will helps us Taxi drivers.

it would help us all if you lot learnt to drive properly and obey the rules of the road and stop thinking you're a law unto yourselves

MKFrost

Expert Member
This is just the start. Expect more or something new once this is in place and the bugs are ironed out.

Have you ever heard of a tax that has been taken away or removed due to some other tax overlapping with it?

And the sheeple will just accept it as we all also just accepted the increases from eskom for example.

Bet your last dollar that this e-tolling will evolve to include other things over time.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Don't forget, etolling tarrifs will go only one way - like the price of energy in this country - up!

grok

Honorary Master
**** off Sanral .. the people will not buy your e-tags.

scudsucker

Executive Member
so which is it??

I think it means that the rest of us can buy etags so when we go to Gauteng we can pay our tolls.

I'm sure all of us will rush to the nearest etoll office and buy one.

IzZzy

Executive Member
I'm sorry, if etolling is going national THEN WHY NOT IMPLEMENT A FUEL LEVY?!?!?

As far as I am concerned, I have no problem with the user pays principle (without etags, with the fuel levy) but if my taxes -have- already paid for these roads then I must be allowed to deduct from my taxable income amount, the amount I pay in fuel levies.

To pay the same rate of taxes (which clearly and historically included road funding) and etag/fuel levy would, in my mind, amount to double taxation.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

so which is it??

All it means is that there are many other tolling systems out there and they are going to standardize them.... so one eTag will work on all toll gates.

Tns

Executive Member
Van Niekerk said 10,000 motorists were already using e-tags at the Bakwena Toll Plaza, on the N4 between Gauteng and the north and north-western parts of the country.

yes 10 000 out of the 100 000 using it. if not more......

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Van Niekerk said 10,000 motorists were already using e-tags at the Bakwena Toll Plaza, on the N4 between Gauteng and the north and north-western parts of the country.

It is the 10 000 who live in Pretoria North, but works in the city or further south and have to pass through the Stormvoël or Zambezi plazas daily.

Fearl3$$

He is defenatly not using the toll plaza on the N4 by Dr Swanepoel Drive..
there is nothing smooth about using e-tags at that plaza..

Tick

The cow can be milked in a way that is more convenient for the cow. The cow should be happy! But it doesn't seem to change the fact that it's still highway robbery.