Easy Equities good or bad?

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I dont know who of you are following the newest information about/related to REG28 changes making waves in the last few days.

I asked EE if they will update their platform soon to allow RA's to have 100% abroad exposure (as its currently live with Sygnia and their Sygnia Itrix products).

This is a massive big game changer (related to ETF's) ! Think UT need to review their systems soon !

newby_investor

Expert Member
I dont know who of you are following the newest information about/related to REG28 changes making waves in the last few days.

I asked EE if they will update their platform soon to allow RA's to have 100% abroad exposure (as its currently live with Sygnia and their Sygnia Itrix products).

This is a massive big game changer (related to ETF's) ! Think UT need to review their systems soon !
There are no changes to Reg28. The change is actually to what counts as domestic and foreign assets:

Effectively, the result of this is that you can get more abroad exposure, but remember that other aspects of Reg28 still apply. You can't have 100% equities, for instance, max 75%.

On the whole, this is a good change, but don't get too excited just yet.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
There are no changes to Reg28. The change is actually to what counts as domestic and foreign assets:

Effectively, the result of this is that you can get more abroad exposure, but remember that other aspects of Reg28 still apply. You can't have 100% equities, for instance, max 75%.

On the whole, this is a good change, but don't get too excited just yet.

I dont know if you have a sygnia REG calculator

Sygnia Itrix Msci ETF @ 55%
Sygnia Itrix Global property ETF @ 25%
Sygnia Itrix Industial ETF @ 20%

Its all REG28 (LOL) ! With this new rule, you can put REG28 in the dustbin if its ETF's

Sygnia must be laughing now (REALLY) !

Lets see how big waves Allan Grey / PSG / Stanlib (any UNIT TRUST firm makes) !

Its game on

rietrot

Honorary Master
I'm not sure what the reg28 change is. But it seems like it would negatively affect the JSE if funddamagers flood out of the JSE shares.

Reg28 used to boost the JSE as everyones pension had to go there. How does this change now?

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I'm not sure what the reg28 change is. But it seems like it would negatively affect the JSE if funddamagers flood out of the JSE shares.

Reg28 used to boost the JSE as everyones pension had to go there. How does this change now?

Reg28 is a rule that you can only take 30% abroad as pension, RA and preservation funds.

I think Allan Grey etc must be praying they dont allow this !

EE is being pro-active aswell, as they offer ETF's too !

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Lets see! Currently the law is still Reg for all products

If you have sygnia, ETF (international funds) now falls in the “local”

So what am I missing

Previous this wasnt allowed:

55% msci (sygnia itrix)
25% global property (sygnia itrix)
30% 4th generation industial (sygnia itrix)

Those would have falled under the capped 30% max allowed

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Lets see! Currently the law is still Reg for all products

If you have sygnia, ETF (international funds) now falls in the “local”

So what am I missing

Previous this wasnt allowed:

55% msci (sygnia itrix)
25% global property (sygnia itrix)
30% 4th generation industial (sygnia itrix)

Those would have falled under the capped 30% max allowed

Previously this was allowed:

55% domestic
25% domestic property
30% offshore

Now this is allowed

55% domestic
25% domestic property
30% offshore

Another thing that changed us that Sygnia Itrix ETFs are now considered domestic.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It's the same as taking Black Rhinos off the endangered species list so you can legally shoot them.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Previously this was allowed:

55% domestic
25% domestic property
30% offshore

Now this is allowed

55% domestic
25% domestic property
30% offshore

Another thing that changed us that Sygnia Itrix ETFs are now considered domestic.

This is huge! I have a friend who did he switch 4pm today!

Poor unit trust firms must pray this isnt approved!

newby_investor

Expert Member
Etf’s abroad is now “local”
If it's rand-denominated and locally listed. So Sygnia's ETFs would count.

Allan Gray is a firm which stands to benefit from this, because they have the AG-Orbis Global Equity Fund (rand-denominated international exposure, like Sygnia's ETFs), which previously was over-subscribed and they weren't accepting new investors. It's now likely that they'll be able to open up to more people, if I understand correctly.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I wonder how many guys think its wow or nothing ? If the exchange control approves this ! (cheers local stocks as we aint forced anymore)