Ekuruleni Power Outage

CB40

Expert Member
There is a major power outage in large parts of Ekurhuleni for the past 40 hours.
I have been speaking to various councillors who state this is due to a 33 HV cable break.Can anyone confirm this?

They keep repairing cables that are a least 40 years old because the HOD Mark Wilson is not allocating the budget "which he apparently has" to replace these cables.Of course this is also an ANC run council.

I have been trying to get hold of him since yesterday.His contact details will be welcome.

The budget is being spent on roads and housing,but without power WTF is the point of this.

Today at 12h40

1594988926747.png

labratza

Expert Member
well I must be in a good part of Ekurhuleni as Load SHedding does not even effect us

sand_man

Honorary Master
Parts of Kempton Park were without water for 4 days last week... major repair that went way past the 36 hour ETTR... This time last year the was a major sub station fire that took just over a week to repair!! Also Kempton Park!! Turning into an absolute dump!!

Darynv

This freaking this is so darn frustrating, probably more so for my neighbours as the gentle grrrrrrrrrrrr (not really gentle) of my generator fills the air. Work from home Govt says, but we won't provide power, so good luck.

Lupus

Honorary Master
This freaking this is so darn frustrating, probably more so for my neighbours as the gentle grrrrrrrrrrrr (not really gentle) of my generator fills the air. Work from home Govt says, but we won't provide power, so good luck.
My entire area begins to vibrate with the hum of generators when the power goes out, I think next time it does I'll go with my generator give the inverter a break. Technically the generator can go for a few hours longer.

sand_man

Honorary Master
BOKSBURG POWER OUTAGE HAS RESIDENTS TAKE TO THE STREETS
Boksburg residents took to the streets today demanding that the City resolve the power issue that has affected them since Wednesday early evening.

Around 60 residents blocked the roads to the Boksburg Customer Care Centre and another group on Rondebult Road, demanding that the City ‘bring back the power’.

Acting Mayoral Committee Member for Energy Cllr Lesiba Mpye addressed residents allaying their concerns before they dispersed.

What happened?
The outage was caused by a fault on the two 33Kv feeders to the Park Rand substation affecting Sunward Park, Freeway Park, Van Dyk Park and Libradene areas. Once the fault was located repairs were carried out. Estimated time for repairs on such cables is 12 hours, if all goes well.

Unfortunately the cables faulted again in the early hours of Friday morning. Once the new fault was found repairs continued with the aim of restoring power Friday morning. Sunward Park Hospital area would be switched on first, and if the load held the remaining areas would be slowly switched on.

A third time, the cable faulted – around midday.

Each time there is a fault the length of the two cables, on both sides, has to be checked with the fault locator. When found, the cables are dug open and exposed and again tested before repairs can take place. The estimated time for repairs is 12 hours.

Once repairs are done and the cable is joined, it is pressure tested and then energized. If there are any further faults on the line, it will be picked up here. If this is the case, the new fault has to found and the same process followed.

Restoring power
When repairs are done and no further faults found, power is restored. First, a small area is switched on. Once the cable stabilises then further load is added – this is to protect the infrastructure. It can take two to three hours to restore power to all affected areas.

You can help
While the City understands that the area has been without power, to help stabilise the line, residents can switch their geysers and electrical heaters off, as this pulls power. This will help to stabilise the grid and residents will be switched on quicker.

When will power be restored?
As the estimated time to repair the 33Kv line is 12 hours, and if no further faults are located, the City could start restoring power at midnight tonight. In which case the affected areas will be back on line Saturday morning.

An appeal to residents to please not visit the site where repairs are being carried out as this causes delays in the work that needs to be done, as well as taking into account Covid-19 regulations.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
i have family that stays there, the people be raging balls.

apparently the residents blocked the n17 highway today and also grouped at the council offices and police had to intervene

CB40

Expert Member
BOKSBURG POWER OUTAGE HAS RESIDENTS TAKE TO THE STREETS
Boksburg residents took to the streets today demanding that the City resolve the power issue that has affected them since Wednesday early evening.

Around 60 residents blocked the roads to the Boksburg Customer Care Centre and another group on Rondebult Road, demanding that the City ‘bring back the power’.

Acting Mayoral Committee Member for Energy Cllr Lesiba Mpye addressed residents allaying their concerns before they dispersed.

What happened?
The outage was caused by a fault on the two 33Kv feeders to the Park Rand substation affecting Sunward Park, Freeway Park, Van Dyk Park and Libradene areas. Once the fault was located repairs were carried out. Estimated time for repairs on such cables is 12 hours, if all goes well.

Unfortunately the cables faulted again in the early hours of Friday morning. Once the new fault was found repairs continued with the aim of restoring power Friday morning. Sunward Park Hospital area would be switched on first, and if the load held the remaining areas would be slowly switched on.

A third time, the cable faulted – around midday.

Each time there is a fault the length of the two cables, on both sides, has to be checked with the fault locator. When found, the cables are dug open and exposed and again tested before repairs can take place. The estimated time for repairs is 12 hours.

Once repairs are done and the cable is joined, it is pressure tested and then energized. If there are any further faults on the line, it will be picked up here. If this is the case, the new fault has to found and the same process followed.

Restoring power
When repairs are done and no further faults found, power is restored. First, a small area is switched on. Once the cable stabilises then further load is added – this is to protect the infrastructure. It can take two to three hours to restore power to all affected areas.

You can help
While the City understands that the area has been without power, to help stabilise the line, residents can switch their geysers and electrical heaters off, as this pulls power. This will help to stabilise the grid and residents will be switched on quicker.

When will power be restored?
As the estimated time to repair the 33Kv line is 12 hours, and if no further faults are located, the City could start restoring power at midnight tonight. In which case the affected areas will be back on line Saturday morning.

An appeal to residents to please not visit the site where repairs are being carried out as this causes delays in the work that needs to be done, as well as taking into account Covid-19 regulations.
How the f..k do you keep repairing cables that are over 40 years old.
The citizens of the area must start massive protests and bring the city to a standstill.

KantSnyer

Expert Member
3 days without power on top of everything else going on I'd lose my **** too.

CB40

Expert Member
From some twat at the council :mad: :mad:

Attachments

• IMG-20200717-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20200717-WA0014.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 84
79.5 hours.

How a cable a metre underground shorts out in 3 different places at the same time baffles me.

Hopefully stays on and we can shower in the morning, it is required...

Good luck to those still in the dark!

PS: I'm not in East Rand, totally unrelated to this thread, was just venting.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
79.5 hours.

How a cable a metre underground shorts out in 3 different places at the same time baffles me.

Hopefully stays on and we can shower in the morning, it is required...

Good luck to those still in the dark!

PS: I'm not in East Rand, totally unrelated to this thread, was just venting.

Yeah, what are the cause of these "faults"? Perished insulation or what?