Electricity tariffs still not high enough - Eskom

rpm

Admin
Staff member

Eskom is acutely aware of the impact of high electricity tariffs on consumers, but tariffs still have to increase to a level where it allows for the recovery of efficient cost, said Tsholofelo Molefe, financial director of Eskom.

Ryansr

Expert Member
"to increase to a level where it allows for the recovery of efficient cost" -

I wonder why nobody with the ability to bring about change in the mindset of these idiot management from Eskom has never asked or said anything about the reason why Eskom management still get huge bonuses while they want to recover costs? What is the Public Protector's office's view on this matter?

WTF South Africa? WTF?

Beachless

Executive Member
The other problem is that municipalities make about what eskom charges in profits. Municipalities should be forced to only have a marginal markup.

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder how much can be made from just making efficiency changes at Eskom. Their decisions (especially that insane drive for gender representation) in the past few years have allowed a lot of things to completely fall apart.

House

Banned
What about locations? Will they also be included in these hikes and also forced to pay some electricity? Currently, we are billed an 'x' amount per month for this purpose.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
One must factor in the AA and inefficiency levy. Then the surcharge for cANCer corruption.

onexios

Eskom should be sold to the minority and run properly, they seem to be lining their own pockets and crying for help.
While having a good time. no consideration for what they are actually doing, seems they do not really know how to do it.
So many plans for development, nothing happens, bailed out of debt, nothing happens, does not seem that they really give a
sh 1 t

I do not mind paying to support a good cause and our electricity is a very good cause, paying to support their wants and life habits what ever they are, i do not want to support.

More people should start using alternate means of electricity. Egypt has wind and water power they sell off to their neighboring countries and still use coal to make more.

How did the stupids of our country land up in the most influential positions available, they are mocking us people.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Or they could manage their funds better.
I know from people working there that they screw half of their projects up and drop multi million rand projects half way through without making any of the money spent back.
Useless bunch of chops.

atomcrusher

Expert Member

bekdik

Honorary Master
Of course it's not enough. Manager bonuses will have to come down to 6 digits now.

Species8472

Eskom is acutely aware of the impact of high electricity tariffs on consumers, but tariffs still have to increase to a level where it allows for the recovery of efficient cost, said Tsholofelo Molefe, financial director of Eskom.

I for one thank eishkom. They just reduced the return of investment of my solar setup at home to 4 years and 7 months.

Sollie

Executive Member
Reading the above, and then reading at the link below, makes me break down and cry
http://businesstech.co.za/news/general/47011/eskom-ceo-pay-vs-performance/
bekdik said:
Of course it's not enough. Manager bonuses will have to come down to 6 digits now.
And what exactly do you think was meant by "She said that the further tariff increase will contribute towards a more sustainable Eskom"? ;)

If Eskom gets down to the basics of generating electricity like they were supposed to, get competent people back on-board and not try and be a role model BEE government showcase puppet (albeit a failed one), things would go better.

What we are seeing is a totally artificial business model failing, but a determination to make the impossible work. In the process it has not only affected people directly with issues like tariff hikes and black-outs, but has also devastated a supporting economy that was based upon service delivery to Eskom, normally a sustainable business model. In the process it has led to job losses for people of all origins.

ryansr said:
I wonder why nobody with the ability to bring about change in the mindset of these idiot management from Eskom has never asked or said anything about the reason why Eskom management still get huge bonuses while they want to recover costs? What is the Public Protector's office's view on this matter?
Go read up on the Dunning-Kruger Effect

marine1

Honorary Master
This country........gone to the dogs.
Now let me post this disclaimer. This in no way means blacks it means corrupt ****ers raping the country.

Just in case for the usual suspects here

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Stupid electricity prices I can deal with. The crime levels, killing me slowly on the inside. I pray God takes pity on me and I get a visa to the much safer first world - for the sake of my sanity, seriously.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The biggest problem with electricity generation and distribution in South Africa is that it is in the hands of the government, both nationally in the form of Eskom and locally through the municipalities. The government and municipalities should stay away from the business of electricity and privatise the entire industry so that both the generation and distribution of electricity is put completely in the hands of the private sector. The national government and local municipalities are not competent to run anything let alone something as important as electricity. The same can be said about water too. Everything needs to be privatised as soon as possible.

Superjakes

Expert Member
With a 7 billion rand profit for last year, this begs to differ. Imagine if everybody starts paying and Eskom stops wasting. I think that if we can manage to have electricity cheaper than other countries, it is an advantage (almost like cheap labour and sweat shops, but more ethical) that the country can do with. Use it as an economic injection to boost our exports. Maybe I'm missing the point completely.