Emigration question. Laptop or Console?

DevonBritton

Hi guys.

I've got a budget of between R15 - 20k and I need to decide whether to get a decent gaming laptop or perhaps some consoles. The kicker is that I'm emigrating at the end of the year.

Obviously a laptop is much easier to take with, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on taking consoles on international flights? Was it a pain or would it be worth investing in an Xbox, PS4 and a switch for the move?

Thanks in advance.
Devon

Voicy

Honorary Master
Don't even bother with a console. Takes up too much space and risk of breakage isn't worth it. Not to mention customs.

Also, most places worth emigrating to generally have consoles cheap as chips. (Also local power plugs)

diabolus

Executive Member
Yea, get the laptop, it is the end of this console generation , people are dumping their consoles on the 2nd hand market for cheap (especially the original xbox/ps4 pre-PRO/Light/Slim). Especially seen this in europe.

That said, i did move across to europe with my xbox, still have it, had no issues with customs (but in hindsight, was unnecessary travel bulk).

Sysem

Expert Member
I took my PS4 on an international flight in my carry on luggage. Worked like a charm, but I had already moved all my stuff over and was travelling light on a separate flight, so decided to pack it in. If you have the $$ saved up, can you not buy the console on the other end?

DevonBritton

Thanks guys. Yeah pretty much in line with what I was thinking...just wanted to see if anyone knows something I don't...

millennia

Something to be aware of if you choose console - PS4 accounts cannot have their region changed after being setup. So if you choose SA, you're stuck with that store even if you're in China...

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Just bear in mind that depending on where you go, it could end up bearing irritating if your laptop keyboard is different to the country's default layout. Let's say you move to the UK - they use a different keyboard layout because of the pound symbol (£). Your new laptop won't have that.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Just bear in mind that depending on where you go, it could end up bearing irritating if your laptop keyboard is different to the country's default layout. Let's say you move to the UK - they use a different keyboard layout because of the pound symbol (£). Your new laptop won't have that.
lol. I'm in the UK and still use my keyboard from SA. Confusing as hell, personal computer shift 2 (@), work PC and laptop (UK) it's quotes (Same with $, have just memorised the alt code for pound) :)

cerebus

Honorary Master
I brought a laptop with me when I emigrated. It's an Asus with a gtx 1060. I've gotten a huge amount of use from it.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Console's are pretty cheap 2nd hand in first world countries.

I would take a laptop and buy an console later.

millennia

lol. I'm in the UK and still use my keyboard from SA. Confusing as hell, personal computer shift 2 (@), work PC and laptop (UK) it's quotes (Same with $, have just memorised the alt code for pound) :)
same, we bought 2 laptops with us and still use them. Gets confusing as heck after a day at work with a UK keyboard. Why am i putting " in email addresses?! :ROFL:

newby_investor

Expert Member
same, we bought 2 laptops with us and still use them. Gets confusing as heck after a day at work with a UK keyboard. Why am i putting " in email addresses?! :ROFL:
You can just set the computer to think it's a different layout. If I type in Russian, I don't need a keyboard with physically printed Russian characters. I just need to remember.*

*Which granted is easier said than done. I'm not very good at it.

millennia

You can just set the computer to think it's a different layout. If I type in Russian, I don't need a keyboard with physically printed Russian characters. I just need to remember.*

*Which granted is easier said than done. I'm not very good at it.
Fully aware of that. My brain doesn't appreciate it though :p

ponder

Honorary Master
Replacement keyboards are relatively cheap if people are keen to swap them out.

DevonBritton

Thanks everyone!! Your responses and advice are greatly appreciated...

Just to throw a spanner in the works...what's the opinion on getting a Desktop?? I've read that if you take the delicate bits out of the case, package it properly and put it into a decent carry on they should be safe...then I can just buy a new case and screen on that side?

VoodooBean

You mean Desktop PC components ?

If so I am sure someone mentioned it on your post that PC/Laptops and even consoles are quiet cheaper overseas, so once you are setup and stable then buying the a rig / console in which ever country you go to probably will be the best option.

It is dirt cheap overseas - It is only here in SA do you need a 2nd mortgage to buy a decent rig.

And as for consoles, some consoles are region locked to do a little bit of homework before you take a PAL PS3/4 and head to Aus OR NZL ( I could be wrong )

saor

Honorary Master
Thanks everyone!! Your responses and advice are greatly appreciated...

Just to throw a spanner in the works...what's the opinion on getting a Desktop?? I've read that if you take the delicate bits out of the case, package it properly and put it into a decent carry on they should be safe...then I can just buy a new case and screen on that side?
Do you really need a new pc right now? Could rather buy abroad after the move. Probably cheaper and no hassle of moving it.

DevonBritton

Do you really need a new pc right now? Could rather buy abroad after the move. Probably cheaper and no hassle of moving it.
So PC's that side are not cheaper than here. From my brief look they're around the same price or a little more expensive. Aside from the fact that when we get there, I forsee my wife needing to dip into my PC fund for bedding or curtains or something like that and I know I won't end up getting anything...thirdly...The money is an insurance payout for my previous gaming PC so right now I have nothing to game on until we leave in December so I'd prefer to get one sooner rather than later.

ponder

Honorary Master
Just build a new pc and put it in a cheap case, keep the mb & gpu boxes. When you leave take the components with you.

DevonBritton

Just build a new pc and put it in a cheap case, keep the mb & gpu boxes. When you leave take the components with you.
Yup. That's what I ended up deciding to do.

Bought a Ryzen 5 3600 rig with an RTX 2060 6GB OC in it for R3k less than the laptop I had in mind which only has a GTX 1660 in it...