Eskom warns intense cold front will put strain on power grid

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Load-shedding warning for South Africa

Eskom has urged the public to reduce electricity usage as the South African Weather Service forecasts extremely cold weather this week.

"Eskom has not implemented load-shedding since 13 June 2021 due to some improvement in the performance of the generation fleet and the system is currently performing relatively well," the power utility said in a statement on Monday.

"However, the cold front will increase the demand for electricity thereby putting pressure on the power system."

The utility promised to communicate promptly should there be any significant changes to the performance of South Africa's grid.

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA

Lupus

Honorary Master
They had 35GW last night, if they could remain at 33 to 35GW we should actually make it. Also it's not a load shedding warning

Brian_G

Executive Member
It's just a bit of normal winter, and largely the first of that this year in Gau.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Yeah, I saw the weather for the week and I see loadshedding is forecast for Wednesday morning.

garp

Executive Member
Huh?

“Large faults on the MV and MV network that affect a klarge number of customers will be prioritised,” said Eskom.

Swa

Honorary Master
It's not the performance of the grid that I'm worried about but the performance of the generators. We never get ample warning with those.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Strangely enough GP had some of that in early June, but we've had some pretty irregular warm days.
Yup, that freezing week or so that sparked the third wave was ****all fun.

Looks like more of the same from tomorrow-ish.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
It's not the performance of the grid that I'm worried about but the performance of the generators. We never get ample warning with those.
I just checked oil and fuel in mine on Saturday. Let the ****ers bring it on.

• Haha
Reactions: Swa

Brian_G

Executive Member
Anyway, weather forecast says (GP) within 48 hrs. of tomorrow morning's start it's already going to recover.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Load-shedding warning for South Africa

Eskom has urged the public to reduce electricity usage as the South African Weather Service forecasts extremely cold weather this week.

"Eskom has not implemented load-shedding since 13 June 2021 due to some improvement in the performance of the generation fleet and the system is currently performing relatively well," the power utility said in a statement on Monday.

"However, the cold front will increase the demand for electricity thereby putting pressure on the power system."

The utility promised to communicate promptly should there be any significant changes to the performance of South Africa's grid.
And this?

How Eskom avoided more load-shedding this winter

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yup, that freezing week or so that sparked the third wave was ****all fun.

Looks like more of the same from tomorrow-ish.
Even colder from tomorrow, and the guy who worked on my pool was supposed to come put the light back in it's housing, should've come yesterday or Saturday when it was still warmish