EU considers banning video streaming services from using geoblocking

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Europe considers banning geoblocking on video streaming services

The European Union (EU) is mulling the expansion of a ban on geoblocking online services to video streaming, TorrentFreak reports.

This comes after a recent report from the European Parliament's Committee on Internal Market and Consumer Protection urged the EU Commission to review its existing geoblocking policies.

giphy.gif

Geoblocking is racist.

Although... what will probably happen now is the streaming services will only show content they have international rights to.

and NordVPN is like #$%#^@@#$

Does VPNs even work anymore to bypass things like netflix , last time I tried Nord and Surfshark and both got detected faster than I could watch a video.... ?

But back on topic, removing geo location blocking would be great :)

This is only EU/EEA wide. There is no reason why all content available in Ireland is also not available in Germany and Romania. This doesn't extend beyond the EU borders.

A point of note is that Europe has no large digital tech companies such as Netflix or Apple TV and so can afford to tell them what to do. It doesn't hurt their own businesses.

Does VPNs even work anymore to bypass things like netflix , last time I tried Nord and Surfshark and both got detected faster than I could watch a video.... ?

But back on topic, removing geo location blocking would be great :)

That's because those are known vpn providers with known server addresses, if you setup your own pc somewhere in europe with a vpn to it, netflix wouldn't know about you relaying video through your private vpn.

Won't affect the UK though, since you guys split.

But, the EU can simply declare this law a global law too. They did it before with the GDPR. So, no issues here.

But, the EU can simply declare this law a global law too. They did it before with the GDPR. So, no issues here.

How? GDPR meant if you capture info of EU residents, you have responsibility to them. Netflix blocking content in the UK to UK customers is not an issue. Netflix Germany should have the same catalog as Netflix Spain.

Geoblocking is racist.

Although... what will probably happen now is the streaming services will only show content they have international rights to.

and NordVPN is like #$%#^@@#$

This. There will be less content, not more. There are always unintended consequences when legislators get bored.

When Netflix blocked my VPN while I was finishing up a series, I cancelled my subscription. The South African variant of Netflix doesn't have the shows I'm most interested in.

Now 99% of my viewing entertainment comes from YouTubers or equivalent on other video platforms. I pay 0 per month to get more content than I can consume.

Yup, another vote for DL'ing instead of Streaming.

Again I don't care what others may think, I don't pander to cumrades.

Back