Exorbitant Amount

Kass

Hi guys,
In March 2019 I was involved in a bumper bashing. I am not insured simply because I cannot afford insurance. Vehicle A is insured. Mr X, owner of vehicle A is a pensioner. Its unfortunate this even took place, we both followed procedure and made a police report together. 2 or 3 days later Mr Xs insurance contacts me telling me I'm liable for the damages of R31 000. I was in disbelief. I contacted the insurance via email disputing the amount. The lady handling the case said SHE would give me a discount of R5 000 and I can pay R25 000 I disputed that. She then said I can pay R24 000 that's HER final offer I disputed that as well. A few weeks later I get a call from another lady asking about the accident and what took place, she informed me that she was investigating why is there so many claims. They went as far as contacting my sister which had me confused because her name and number was not mentioned or given to anybody, am I missing something with that? Finally I get endless phone calls from the lawyers of the insurance and I stuck to my story that the amount is ridiculous. A few weeks ago the lawyers contacted me again telling me to settle the amount, take note the whole world is in the middle of a pandemic and they telling me to settle that amount. I told the lady that price is ridiculous I cannot settle it, she asks me what amount can I pay, I told her I can't pay anything, she then says if she was me she would settle the amount cause my name will be bad and I can't do anything in South Afica, I said well you rather take me to court cause I can't settle it. They sent me summons, I responded in September 2019, I just recieved a Notice Of Bar.
1 Only 1 quote was given.
2 The insurance lawyers kept phoning me telling me to settle the amount.
3 The amount changed twice.
4 It was a bumper bashing costing R31 000.
That amount is more than the car I was driving. I had a damages to the front if the vehicle I was driving and it costed R1 500 to repair. Mr X was driving a 2016 Chev Ave 1.6 sedan. The vehicle I drove was a 1993 Toyata Camry. Any advice???

Last edited:

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Yup , while I feel for you, you should have had 3rd party insurance. Can't afford insurance? Use Uber or public transport.

Did you even try to speak to Mr.X to offer to pay to repair his damages. Of course not, cos you don't have money right?

You need to understand, how the rest of us , who pay insurance get nailed when guys like you cause accidents .

Seriously, don't know why vehicle insurance is not mandatory in South Africa to get a license disk.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Ask how you can pay it off.
I have been screwed over by people who cant pay, dont pay and wont pay, and for that, my premiums go up.
FFS man, get over yourself and pay up.
Same here man. I chose the highest excess for lower premiums because I was comfortable that I will not cause the accident. Twat drove into me and insurance couldn't recover anything from him. I had to pay the fat excess and my premiums went up.

This person is using the pandemic now as an excuse for an accident that happened in March 2019. So many excuses, I detest people that are irresponsible and then place the burden of their poor choices onto others.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am not insured simply because I cannot afford insurance.
If you cannot afford insurance then you cannot afford to drive.

Quotes for repairs to Insurance companies are super inflated. Repair shops absolutely always ripoff the insurance companies. That 35 000 quote is probably only 5-10 000, but it can also be a lot more depending on the internal damage.

Tell the insurance company you want a second quote from your trustworthy panel beater.

Either way, in telling the insurance you won't pay a cent you clearly don't want to take responsibility for your actions. This is not about the R35 000 or even R5 000 that is too much.

Now get off the road until you have at least 3rd party insurance.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
If you cannot afford insurance then you cannot afford to drive.

Quotes for repairs to Insurance companies are super inflated. Repair shops absolutely always ripoff the insurance companies. That 35 000 quote is probably only 5-10 000, but it can also be a lot more depending on the internal damage.

Tell the insurance company you want a second quote from your trustworthy panel beater.

Either way, in telling the insurance you won't pay a cent you clearly don't want to take responsibility for your actions. This is not about the R35 000 or even R5 000 that is too much.

Now get off the road until you have at least 3rd party insurance.
It's inflated for a reason. They have to repair the car to the same condition it was before the accident. That means they have to use original parts and specific paints. Usually, the manufacturers charge silly prices for those parts.

If you do it at your local panel beater they do it cheaply with whatever parts and paints.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
You have to pay up, same happen with woman crashed into me.

She had pay up, not sure where she got money from, but she paid the 20k to insurance company.

Eric

Honorary Master
You have to pay up, same happen with woman crashed into me.

She had pay up, not sure where she got money from, but she paid the 20k to insurance company.
And yet have you ever heard of an insurance company coming back to their client saying "oh look, we managed to recover your excess"

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
And yet have you ever heard of an insurance company coming back to their client saying "oh look, we managed to recover your excess"
Yes contacted santam they transferred the excess back to me. Had no problems at all getting that back.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Yes - Outsurance did with my dad. In fact, we only ever received excellent service from them.

Eric

Honorary Master
Yes - Outsurance did with my dad. In fact, we only ever received excellent service from them.
Outsurance sucks big time. Dealing with a case right now. Our second and last. Only one option for body shop and their reputation is B-A-D. We got quotes elsewhere and outsurance paid us the equivalent of the original quote in cash provided we don't have comebacks.

We're ditching them as soon as the car is back.

Previous accident we had to take the car back three times and gave up. Their preferred body shop had been in business less than a year and a few years later doesn't exist anymore. They couldn't get the excess back from the person who caused the accident. Probably another outsurance client.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hi guys,
In March 2019 I was involved in a bumper bashing. I am not insured simply because I cannot afford insurance. Vehicle A is insured. Mr X, owner of vehicle A is a pensioner. Its unfortunate this even took place, we both followed procedure and made a police report together. 2 or 3 days later Mr Xs insurance contacts me telling me I'm liable for the damages of R31 000. I was in disbelief. I contacted the insurance via email disputing the amount. The lady handling the case said SHE would give me a discount of R5 000 and I can pay R25 000 I disputed that. She then said I can pay R24 000 that's HER final offer I disputed that as well. A few weeks later I get a call from another lady asking about the accident and what took place, she informed me that she was investigating why is there so many claims. They went as far as contacting my sister which had me confused because her name and number was not mentioned or given to anybody, am I missing something with that? Finally I get endless phone calls from the lawyers of the insurance and I stuck to my story that the amount is ridiculous. A few weeks ago the lawyers contacted me again telling me to settle the amount, take note the whole world is in the middle of a pandemic and they telling me to settle that amount. I told the lady that price is ridiculous I cannot settle it, she asks me what amount can I pay, I told her I can't pay anything, she then says if she was me she would settle the amount cause my name will be bad and I can't do anything in South Afica, I said well you rather take me to court cause I can't settle it. They sent me summons, I responded in September 2019, I just recieved a Notice Of Bar.
1 Only 1 quote was given.
2 The insurance lawyers kept phoning me telling me to settle the amount.
3 The amount changed twice.
4 It was a bumper bashing costing R31 000.
That amount is more than the car I was driving. I had a damages to the front if the vehicle I was driving and it costed R1 500 to repair. Mr X was driving a 2016 Chev Ave 1.6 sedan. The vehicle I drove was a 1993 Toyata Camry. Any advice???
1. And?
2. Which you should have done.
3. It "changed" in that they gave you a better offer.
4. Do you know what the actual damage was you did? Bumper bash means nothing.

And you'll have to pay the amount owed + fee for insurer having to keep contacting you and the court fees.
Best would have been to make a payment plan right at the beginning, you can show your income and try to organize something.

There's a reason insurance is so costly.

Outsurance sucks big time. Dealing with a case right now. Our second and last. Only one option for body shop and their reputation is B-A-D. We got quotes elsewhere and outsurance paid us the equivalent of the original quote in cash provided we don't have comebacks.

We're ditching them as soon as the car is back.
Tried to get a quote from them, they offered me a quote 2x the amount of any other insurance provider on the phone, then upped it to 2.5x when I got the e-mail right after. Meanwhile their sales agents quote the amount with you maxing out their app and having a tracker, you have to properly question them to get the actual amount monthly.

Went with Naked Insurance, underwritten by Hollard, was around 10% cheaper than the offers on take.ctrl (they have offers from Santam, old mutual, absa, etc.).

Last edited: