Explained - MetroFibre free speed upgrades

under_sky

Expert Member
I think @PBCool said they (Cool Ideas) won't upgrade the speeds because Metro Fibre is charging them extra for NNI to make up for the upgrades. :unsure:
I do believe they passing this 10Mbps extra for free, but not the double speed.
I am awaiting my upgrade to 200Mbps rather keen on 200/200
Hopefully it happens on monday and to think when i was a student i started with a 1mbps Adsl for dota.

Drone 42

I got my 10mbps upgrade on Home Connect. It is cool and I am grateful. Just not sure where the earlier reports of doubling the line speed came from.

Reactions: Yuu

CeeBee

Expert Member
I'm on 25Mbps and certainly not seeing 35Mbps
but....my installation was just completed this week, not yet closed off as complete with either Metronet or Vodacom, so probly still in progress
lets see what will come

under_sky

Expert Member
no comments from @rain_mobile ?
Their network is so bad at the moment, i dont think it would even be possible for such. My 5G in Kyalami has terrible speeds when i take this unit back to senderwood i hope i get my 400-500Mbps again.
Even with full signal in Kyalami im getting around 20mbps only.

splinter_watsup

Metrofibre think so small too often. They force every ISP to pay a node fee for every area the ISP wants to go live in. No other provider does this. So the ISP has to pay a monthly fee, the NNI and a node fee for each location(Centurion alone has like 4 Nodes) and is now telling the ISP to pay more for the upgrade when the ISP will be paying more for the breakout anyways.

They don't think about how once a customer feels the need for speed will likely upgrade. Well done to all the providers who did free upgrades to all their clients no matter the ISP at no additional cost. I am not a fan of Vuma but they did a good job! And well done on the ISP's on increasing their Breakout to accommodate their customers for free upgrades.

Metrofibre didn't do their customers or their resellers(ISPs) a good deed by "Upgrading by 10mb" but forcing the ISP to pay for the NNI upgrade. They were simply trying to profit from it.

Wasp!

I still don’t understand why Metrofibre is only implementing an additional 10mbps whereas other Fibre providers are upgrading their customers to the next available line speed, ie 100 to 200

4cer

Expert Member
I'm with Firestream, doubt we will get it, but 10megs extra isn't really too much to get excited about.