Extremely High CPU Temp when encoding video and mp3's!?

Madge

Hi All

My CPU hits temps of over 90 degrees when I encode video and/or mp3's.

I have installed a aftermarket cooler now (CoolerMaster Hyper 212 LED) but the temps are getting worse!

Also, I get an annoying message every week or so about my BCLK/CPU/RAM (boot failure). I don't overclock so I don't know why I'm having these problems.

Can anybody help please?

My Rig
Intel Core i7 4770 (non k)
16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
Gigabyte H81M-S2PH Mobo
ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series GPU

NMxPE7E.jpg
[/IMG]

QlnhP6O.jpg

Last edited:

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Its being overclocked to 3.7ghz, enter the bios and turn off turbo boost.

But at that clock the temps shouldnt be that high, have you correctly applied the thermal paste?

agentrfr

Executive Member
Reseat your cooler. Use some new thermal paste - you shouldn't be going over 80C with a decent cooler.

airborne

Honorary Master
Video rendering is the only time my cpu fan starts sounding like a helicopter, it smashes the cpu for everything it's got.

I'd also check the thermal paste though, 90degrees is cooking that's mbb.

sajunky

Honorary Master
+1 to all. Reseat CPU, remove existing paste before applying a new one. Fact that is getting worse indicate you didn't do it correctly.

ponder

Honorary Master
What cooler are you running on the cpu, stock one?

Either way remove the cooler, remove the fan from the heatsink and properly clean them. Remove all thermal paste & put some new paste on before putting it all back together.

Arthur

Honorary Master
A common error is using too much thermal paste.

Remember, the optimal contact between CPU plate and cooler is metal-to-metal. But because these things aren't manufactured perfectly flat (lapped), tiny gaps of air exist between the metal surfaces. Thermal compound is intended to fill only the air gaps and so provide some thermal conductivity better than air. It should not interfere with metal-to-metal contact. Most commercial thermal pastes have a far lower (worse) thermal conductivity than metal.

Don't make it too thick! Lots of good sites explaining this. Use you fave search engine to learn how to apply thermal paste.

Conack

Expert Member
I had a similar issue (not nearly that hot, but too hot for my liking) - found that by default the motherboard had some overvoltage **** enabled.
Toned that down and it made a HUGE difference. Was about to buy a new cooler as well but no longer needed at all.

Madge

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies! It's a brand new cooler and came with a small sachet of thermal paste I used half of it only. I don't know where to switch the overclocking off in my mobo, I'll double check in a moment but I'll keep you updated.

You guys are the best!

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies! It's a brand new cooler and came with a small sachet of thermal paste I used half of it only. I don't know where to switch the overclocking off in my mobo, I'll double check in a moment but I'll keep you updated.

You guys are the best!

Half? You meant to use a pea sized blob.

Jola

Honorary Master
Are these XXX rated movies ?

Because that increases the heat :whistling:

Madge

No LMAO!

I went into the bios, changed the turbo boost setting, also, i decided to reseat the cooler and noticed something I forgot to remove:

1fYOKcT.jpg

Go ahead...call me a dumbass ;-)

Temps at full load in video encoding is 48 Degrees!

Remind me to buy you all drinks (if you're 18 or older) for the help!

Arthur

Honorary Master
Not a dumbass. Just in too much of a hurry, which is understandable. It happens. ;)

Glad it's sorted.

Fro

Take the cooler back, you'll never need it. Don't waste your money. The stock fan is good enough.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Take the cooler back, you'll never need it. Don't waste your money. The stock fan is good enough.

My son kept complaining about in certain games his PC would just shut down. Told him to monitor temps when playing and he reported back that the temps were going in the red. 6700k on stock cooler. Bought a mother ass cooler and now temps are running fine and no more shutdown. In the OP's case I tend to agree, but there is a use for big coolers.