Facebook suspends controversial user detail sharing

Kwerty

Expert Member
Company Rep
Just don't give untrusted applications access to your personal information. It's as simple as that. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I don't have my address or phone numbers stored in FB anyway... why on earth would I want to do that?

McT

The Humble Scot!
Sophos suggests that users do the following:

1. Remove your address and phone number from Facebook immediately. If Facebook doesn't have this information, it can't let it fall into the wrong hands or be accused of deliberately giving false information.

2. Review all your Facebook privacy settings.
3. Do not use applications, ever.

4. Do not use Facebook.

Okay so, "4." is excessive, but ultimately this is a personal decision. Fact is, if the user doesn't appreciate the privacy risk of FB by now, they never will and perhaps deserve their fate.

fonoi

<Sacrcasm on> Oh Noes! Now instead of looking me up in the telephone directory they can get my number directly from facebook! The Horror! </Sarcasm off>

tortured

<Sacrcasm on> Oh Noes! Now instead of looking me up in the telephone directory they can get my number directly from facebook! The Horror! </Sarcasm off>
Idiot. I won't even say why you are one. You should be able to figure it out yourself.

fonoi

My point is most of the information everyone is complaining about facebook sharing is already in the public domain and if it is not, you should not be posting it on facebook in the first place.

Privacy on the internet is a myth, it always has been. I believe google chrome's incognito window says it best, even though your activites are not stored on your PC, it does not mean your boss or isp is not tracking you. These days this even extends to police/goverment/advertisers etc.

_Hecate_

Expert Member
I particularly like all the information you get...soothes the stalker in me. :D

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Don't put anything on the internet that you don't mind sharing with the world. Common sense, really.