Faltering at first jump

astrauss

So has anyone been able to a date out of Neotel for the launch of an Ethernet/WiFi handset?

Tns

Executive Member
if i am moving to my new flat i surely hope by then neotell has coverage in that area, will drop telkom in that case

kaspaas

Expert Member
Why not provide a black box with RJ-11 and RJ-45 plugs (and the required internals) so one could plug in one's telephone of choice (eg DECT portable) and connect it to an Ethernet network.

Forcing people to use a piece of equipment is not goingdown well.

DblD

hear hear...
point Mr. Padiachy to this forum and ask him where can we see the results of this "extensive" market survey on the how the handset should operate and where did they conduct this survey in old age home?

DblD

Why not provide a black box with RJ-11 and RJ-45 plugs (and the required internals) so one could plug in one's telephone of choice (eg DECT portable) and connect it to an Ethernet network.

Forcing people to use a piece of equipment is not goingdown well.
I don't understand what you falks are banging on about...

As stupid as the idea of having an usb connector only, the simple USB to RJ45 convector will do..
Price one trough your fav online supplier....

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=usb+to+rj45&spell=1

zerofocus

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Anything which adds a stupid level of complexity to a simple device bugs the crap out of me.
Just one more thing to go wrong.

Charlie.

Can't you plug it into a 'l33t Gentoo-piping Linux Box' (constructed from a spare motherboard and your old toaster) and configure that to do all the fancy stuff?

... Like caching
... and firewalling....
... and stuff...

DblD

Why should we have to buy something which should certainly have been analysed in their great research? :rolleyes:
/bang
I share your sentiments, as I believe a majority of falk around here... all I was adding in is that is not a show stopper..there is an simple way to bridge over even thought it should not be required.

DblD

I might be wrong, but all that thing is is a USB LAN Card. Basically connects your PC to a LAN via USB Port?
My humblest apologies, in my heist to share the information i could of inadvertently referenced the USB LAN Adopter,

What I wanted to pass an reference to is USB To RJ45 adopter (no LAN card as such)
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/USB-video/a/9000000089497.htm

Or if you find something more relevant, post it up...let us brake free form the Telkom shackles

Vroomfondel

My humblest apologies, in my heist to share the information i could of inadvertently referenced the USB LAN Adopter,

What I wanted to pass an reference to is USB To RJ45 adopter (no LAN card as such)
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/USB-video/a/9000000089497.htm

Or if you find something more relevant, post it up...let us brake free form the Telkom shackles
That thing just allows you to use a network cable as a USB extention. It's definately not going to work. I doubt you'll find anything that will work this way, since you'll have to install the drivers somewhere.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
The reason why we are moaning about Ethernet ports is because most of us use Smoothwall/IPcop/PFSense and it's problematic in getting USB to work properly under Linux.

Besides, having an Ethernet port makes it just more simpler without the added complexity of USB drivers and configuration settings.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
That thing just allows you to use a network cable as a USB extention. It's definately not going to work. I doubt you'll find anything that will work this way, since you'll have to install the drivers somewhere.
Yes, I have one of those little USB converter box thingies that convert USB into all different kinds of devices. It was a waste. They are not magical devices that turn a USB device into a network capable device. The thing just sits there and looks dumb. All it really does is allow you to use other cables as an Extension to your USB cable.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Yes, I have one of those little USB converter box thingies that convert USB into all different kinds of devices. It was a waste. They are not magical devices that turn a USB device into a network capable device. The thing just sits there and looks dumb. All it really does is allow you to use other cables as an Extension to your USB cable.
Now that's really dumb. I was wondering myself how the conversion process (usb to ethernet) is done. Logically, such a conversion is not even possible, except should you want to use a different type of cable to extend your USB device's reach.

Ethernet uses a different protocol and voltage than USB anyway.

ebendl

Expert Member
Yes, USB - Ethernet would definately not work. In the first place, you would need something that supports USB Host. Some PDAs have this, but it is usaully just for something like a flash-disk or card reader or digital camera.

Remember: Ethernet = network. USB = camera/scanner/mouse/keyboard/external harddrive/flash-disk/external CD-writers/printers/etc. So if one port can do so many things, how does Windows know what you are using?? Drivers - you would need smart drivers to "interpret" what the device does and what the signals it sends and expects mean.

Now if Neotel designed something like this from scratch - then it means that they had to write drivers (and probably only for Windows / Mac). Then there isn't going to be anything at the moment that isn't a Windows PC that can understand what language this Phone talks. It wil come in time, but as the other people said, it is much better to use Ethernet - as all Ethernet jacks talk only one language/protocol.