Fiber - Springs

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Hi Guys

needs some clarity, understanding on this topic...

( all bashing aside) i live in springs, selection park to be more specific, and as far as fiber internet access goes, nobody is looking at our area yet, however, a few roads up from us, a home user somehow has managed to get fiber internet access installed , working :(

Now , when we moved into our house, contractors done us the no kind favor of tearing up my drive way to put in fiber, and left, (didnt even bother fixing the drive way..) but they left us with a DFA manhole less than 20m from my front door,

what i want to know, if how the f#$%# did this guy up the road manage to get fiber, and why the f#$ can i not.. :(

i see on DFA map, they even show the line to his house now, but somehow nadda by us

I have tried contacting dfa, but they not very helpful

Segg

Expert Member
If you're prepared to pay big bucks, you can get hooked up on the DFA network, its not really provisioned for consumers....
R4000 P/M for 25mbps

Else get all your neighbors to sign a petition for Vumatel, and maybe they will take a deeper look

ijacobs3

Expert Member
If you're prepared to pay big bucks, you can get hooked up on the DFA network, its not really provisioned for consumers....
R4000 P/M for 25mbps

Else get all your neighbors to sign a petition for Vumatel, and maybe they will take a deeper look

Will try the vumatel way,

pwS70t

Hi ijacobs3,

I am having the same issue!! I need fibre in the springsgate area! Im so pissed off that we dont get to have like the other cities. Did you get lucky with Vumatel by any chance?? Please tell me you got somewhere with them..

BTW i see DFA has lines EVERYWHERE. If i can get 10mbps il be happy. Copper lines are ****, i wanna ditch them.

Genisys

Executive Member
I stay in JHB and I still don't have fibre... It really isn't about not being in a big city, it's all about demand. If there is no demand fibre providers will probably not roll out in an area.

If you really want fibre however you can get in contact with Seacom or SaFibre and get quotes from them on fibre. Maybe they can roll out to you, maybe they can't, best is to ask them directly.

Last edited:

pwS70t

I see, thanks for your input man!
However when i hear people saying there is not enough demand, i struggle to understand what they mean, like how do they expect demand to be like? Phone calls? Petitions? Ive hardly seen any people signing petitions for fibre, neither do i think many people in Fourways for example knew that fibre was coming and they all demanded before it was installed there first - I think providers just install in the most popular areas first.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
well, Vuma has been busy the last 2 months, almost ready to go with fiber :D

HowTo

Expert Member
Vuma is doing the foundation work. Lets see how long it takes.
Selection Park is being close on completion. (Selcourt is Telkom install)
Edelweiss and Casseldale (Digging trenches has started).

Last edited:

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Vuma is doing the foundation work. Lets see how long it takes.
Selcourt and Selection Park is being close on completion.
Edelweiss and Casseldale is on the cards.
after chat with their twitter team, they said the network in selcourt / selection park will be live by 1 August , order placed with Vodacom, router dropped off already, so just waiting on Vuma to finish up :)

HowTo

Expert Member
@ijacobs3
Any reason for choosing Vodacom? If the network is not complete how come you could place order?
Are you paying for this? PM

I'm in Edelweiss lets see how long it will take.

Last edited:

HowTo

Expert Member
Hi everyone.

Spoke this morning to Vuma to get a ETA date when Edelweiss would go live.
The only feed back I get subscriber numbers are not in range.
Please go to Vumatel website subscribe and show interest.
  1. Fiber is the way to go Download and Upload will be as what you signed up for.
  2. Fiber uncapped cheaper then LTE networks.
  3. So go and show interest, last I looked it was 9%.
  4. Remember if you show interest this is no comitment from your side.
  5. Business has the biggest stake here in Springs. They also pay a premium price to Telkom.
  6. Vuma took it up to show they can provide Fiber her in Springs. So please support them.
So make it count. I want Fiber here. LTE was a way to go forward but over time lost it spark.
1) was on ADSL max I could get was 3.5mb/s to far off exchange.
2) next best thing was LTE was good in the begging not now anymore.

Shake a leg and make a effort.

HowTo

Expert Member
Hi all

Just got confirmation from Vuma, received order number from them.
Going the right route.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Vuma still has no info about my order i placed with Vodacom :( , yet our neighbors already have the fiber into their house

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Vodacoms website showed everything running through them when I applied

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Not a complex, normal residential area, Vuma finished up 2 weeks ago, now we all have these little grey boxes outside, with cables going in, but nothing coming out

HowTo

Expert Member
Not a complex, normal residential area, Vuma finished up 2 weeks ago, now we all have these little grey boxes outside, with cables going in, but nothing coming out
It seems you need to do the "Installation". If you have not done that.

Attachments