Fibre in Complex - HELP

MoozlyBelle

I am a homeowner in a complex in Parklands. I have been pushing our body corporate for the last two years to get fibre installed in the complex but they have been utterly unhelpful and uninterested. Is there anything I can do to by-pass them or legally take the matter to a higher authority?

ld13

Honorary Master
How much interest is there from the other homeowners?

MoozlyBelle

Majority of the other homeowners want fibre and even with this information the body corporate could not be bothered...

Sudo Panic

Look up Fibre installation South Break complex and read the hell I went through with them, they ended up choosing Vodacom which was overpriced. Octotel tried to install there but apparently permission from Telkom was required as they needed to use their ducting system.

ld13

Honorary Master
Majority of the other homeowners want fibre and even with this information the body corporate could not be bothered...
I don't know much of how they are put together, but if the large majority wants fibre, then they must comply. Obtain the procedures/rules/? and see how you can have a motion tabled for the next meeting. If that fails, the body corporate is clearly not representative of the homeowners and you must try to get more pro-fibre people into the body corporate.

I highly advise you to take everything I say with a 10kg bag of salt. My experience with these matters are extremely lacking.

Octotel tried to install there but apparently permission from Telkom was required as they needed to use their ducting system.
Was that before or after the case that landed up in court where the court told telkom to stand down?

Sudo Panic

I don't know much of how they are put together, but if the large majority wants fibre, then they must comply. Obtain the procedures/rules/? and see how you can have a motion tabled for the next meeting. If that fails, the body corporate is clearly not representative of the homeowners and you must try to get more pro-fibre people into the body corporate.

I highly advise you to take everything I say with a 10kg bag of salt. My experience with these matters are extremely lacking.

Was that before or after the case that landed up in court where the court told telkom to stand down?
Before.

LOTR

Call a motion of no confidence in the BC and vote the nay sayers out if they don't want to change their minds. Vote the yay sayers in.

Venomous

Honorary Master
I am a homeowner in a complex in Parklands. I have been pushing our body corporate for the last two years to get fibre installed in the complex but they have been utterly unhelpful and uninterested. Is there anything I can do to by-pass them or legally take the matter to a higher authority?
Explain to them that (so far in my experience) vumatel/sadv /openserve/etc are happy to install the cabled network running through the complex at the network provider's expense. Trustees will be kept in the loop, get to say where cables can go etc and then need to sign off before the contractor can consider things done at that site.

Then further costing to each home would depend on the data provider and also the package selected.
Zero cost to trustees or the complex.

And it will make the complex more attractive to potential buyers who require internet.

Reactions: Yuu

Venomous

Honorary Master
Look up Fibre installation South Break complex and read the hell I went through with them, they ended up choosing Vodacom which was overpriced. Octotel tried to install there but apparently permission from Telkom was required as they needed to use their ducting system.
Court case says others can use that...

VettieOriginal

I have served as a Chairperson for 5 years and find it shocking that they refuse to assist. This is a infrastructure upgrade and all owners have the right to this. I suggest the following.

1. Make sure you have emails to them with all information supplied requesting the Fibre install, alos mention that Telkom is fading out copper in the next few years
2. If no response copy in Managing agent and say that you are not getting assisted and you wil like to call a special meeting and vote for the infrastructure
3. If this is refused take emails to the Community scheme Ombud to assist with proof of sent documents. Also advise them that due to no responce you are going there as you have no other choice.

This should get the jumping. Either way if the trustees do not want it a majority owners can vote it in and overrule the trustees

The installations are normally free so we had no objection to MFN installing at our complex.

Reactions: Yuu

blowdart18

Ok but do you have FNO's that are interested in installing, or is this still in the interest phase ?

Leno

Expert Member
If its been 2 years did you try get on the body corporate?

Its a thankless job though, I did the same thing here to try get fibre into our place.

One bit of advice, research who you go with, we went with Blitz fibre as they were the only ones willing to even answer the phone, but its been a year of empty promises and we are still waiting to go live!

calypso

Expert Member
Why don't you try to approach some fibre companies yourself? Maybe all the installers are not interested in your complex. It might not be a case of the BC blocking it, but the fact that no installers have responded/come knocking.