Fibre speed over LAN vs WiFi

ColonelJAck

Greetings all.
I'm hoping you clever people can help me understand my dilemma.
The situation is as follows.
I have fibre via Vumatel at home.
I have a Zyxel fibre router in the lounge near the CPE device.
I'm running a lan cable through the ceiling to the far end of the house where I have a TP link router connected in bridging mode to the Zyxel.
Up until yesterday I had a 50up/5down service.
At any time I could run a speedtest on either modem, I would get speeds of 45+ and 4+ respectively.
The test could be done on the laptop, pc or cellphone and would always be pretty similar. Lan would typically be closer to 50. Wifi closer to 45, but always in the same ballpark.

Yesterday I upgraded to 100up/10down.
Running the same tests on the same devices, I get about 93down and 9.8up ON LAN (I'm happy with this)
However, the tests via wifi appear to hover around 55 to 60 down and 9.8 up (I'm confused by this).
The reduced speed is only on wifi. It applies to both routers and with any wifi device, I'm testing from about 1meter from the router. Tested wifi with a laptop and 2 different cellphones.

Both wifi routers have a 300Mbs wifi speed (in fact the TP link may be 450).
I'm trying to understand why the wifi speed would be so much lower.
I have changed wifi channels on both devices, including unbridging them - no difference.

Any suggestions / theories would be most welcome.

PS : If a similar thread does exist, I apologise. I tried looking, but so many entries ......

Thank you

ColonelJAck

Thanks for responding guys. Both modems are set at 2.4ghz. If I'm not mistaken, both are b/g/n capable. I know the secondary one is 2.4 and 5 switchable. I'll look into the settings. Ideally I'm looking for 802.11n, it would seem.

krycor

Honorary Master
This could be a limitation on your WiFi unit.

We had a Tp-Link Wan router and couldn’t pull more than +/- 108Mbps .. weird because they claim 300Mbps. So eventually we got a Ubiquiti AP and now we can pull 200+Mbps without issue (beside the device connection limitation on most non enterprise devices which is usually about 32 connections)

So yah.. those residential units could have limitations on their WAN port.

Ps.

One of the things I read along the way was that in a WiFi unit that supports multi standards ie old standards and n (ac works on a 5Ghz so not sure if it suffers the same fate) most routers default to the slowest device connection speed (kinda like ram). You could check by connecting only a wireless n device on the ap and checking what speed u get?

Last edited: