Fillet steak

Devill

Damned
Got me some nice looking fillet steaks to throw on the grill for supper and feel like a change from the usual - anyone have any ideas for a marinade/seasoning?
Sweet marinade

olive oil
garlic
basil
parsley
Worcestershire sauce
soy sauce
pineapple juice / cognac (depends on what taste you are bigger on)

That really makes a nice marinade for braai-ing

But I would rather make a non marinated steak and top it with a cheese/ pepper sauce :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Thanks for the ideas - keep em coming.

Since it's meat related . . on tonight's menu . . . Bwana Burgers™ - big juicy dry rub burgers with dill pickle, Emmental cheese on a toasted garlic Portuguese roll. :)

Devill

Damned

Since it's meat related . . on tonight's menu . . . Bwana Burgers™ - big juicy dry rub burgers with dill pickle, Emmental cheese on a toasted garlic Portuguese roll. :)
Add some sundried tamatoes in a sweet chillie basting and maybe a slice of bacon? :D

Ps damn you now im hungry :(

DJ...

Banned
Oooh, sounds good Bwana.

Devill: whats wrong with marinating and a sauce? Most people think a marinate is only to add flavour to meat, whereas its original purpose was to enhance the flavour of meats.

Oops, fixed up...

Last edited:

Devill

Damned

Please stop, I’m going to start crying in my weet-bix any time now.
Atleast you have weetbix.... I only have an energy bar :( Oh and coffee.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Add some sundried tamatoes in a sweet chillie basting and maybe a slice of bacon? :D

Ps damn you now im hungry :(
Definitely room for bacon but the dry rub I'm using has such a high sugar content (and its some nice gooey treacle sugar) that it makes its own glaze - so no basting necessary :D

DDV TECH

Expert Member
I’ll swap my weet-bix for a bwana burger any day. Need…….steak……now…..

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
My favourite is to take a whole fillet, and wrap it in bacon. Then put it over moderate coals (not too hot). Keep turning regularly. Once the bacon is crisped, you have a nice medium-rare fillet (about 90 mins).

11:07

13:39

DJ...

Banned
Oh good lawdy! Now I want a bacon-wrapped fillet as well as a burger...:eek:

thedutchman

Expert Member
so what i did yesterday and the day before, get the braai ready, get a nice 800 gramm fillet from wollies, put some olive oil on it, salt, pepper. Then chopp an onion, put it over the steak, than some cayenne pepper, let it rest for like an hour. Than braai it, 4 - 5 min on each side so that it stays nice and red in the middle. Al the onions that are still on your plate, take out a little pan, put it on the fire/coal/wood and fry the onions with the oil and the salts from the steak... hungry again :(

Devill

Damned
Oooh, sounds good Bwana.

Devill: whats wrong with marinating and a sauce? Most people think a marinate is only to add flavour to meat, whereas its original purpose was to enhance the flavour of meats.

Oops, fixed up...
Yes but I prefer a sweet marinade... thus it loses its uber meat taste :p

But each to his own... I have had porkchops with chocolate sauce..and that was not half bad.

DJ...

Banned
so what i did yesterday and the day before, get the braai ready, get a nice 800 gramm fillet from wollies, put some olive oil on it, salt, pepper. Then chopp an onion, put it over the steak, than some cayenne pepper, let it rest for like an hour. Than braai it, 4 - 5 min on each side so that it stays nice and red in the middle. Al the onions that are still on your plate, take out a little pan, put it on the fire/coal/wood and fry the onions with the oil and the salts from the steak... hungry again :(
:eek: Never ever add dry salt to meat and allow it to stand. The salt draws out the liquid from inside the meat and especially on the outside and makes it dry and tough. You can use salt if you are using a marinade, but not a dry rub. The salt also doesnt absorb into the meat because of this as well, which means it adds nothing, only takes away.

Devill

Damned
My favourite is to take a whole fillet, and wrap it in bacon. Then put it over moderate coals (not too hot). Keep turning regularly. Once the bacon is crisped, you have a nice medium-rare fillet (about 90 mins).

11:07

13:39
ROFL :D Best looking heart attack I have ever sen :p :D

P

Picard

:( I haven't got the money for stuff like that. I'm on the eggs on toast stage of the month ... and it's only the 8th :eek: :(

DJ...

Banned
Yes but I prefer a sweet marinade... thus it loses its uber meat taste :p

But each to his own... I have had porkchops with chocolate sauce..and that was not half bad.
LOL - uber meat taste. Your excuse don't make sense bruvva. If you use a simple flavour enhancing marinade (even MSG is added in many and is actually natural and not bad for us in small quantities) and try to enhance the umami experience, without actually adding flavours, then all you're doing is making the meat taste better and helping it to break down the protein strands which make it tough, and adding the sauce for flavour. Each to his own, but give it a shot sometime. There are some good marinades that merely enhance flavour and dont add new flavours. Check out my post earlier in this thread as well regarding the acid (pineapple) and the salt (soy)...;)

Devill

Damned
LOL - uber meat taste. Your excuse don't make sense bruvva. If you use a simple flavour enhancing marinade (even MSG is added in many and is actually natural and not bad for us in small quantities) and try to enhance the umami experience, without actually adding flavours, then all you're doing is making the meat taste better and helping it to break down the protein strands which make it tough, and adding the sauce for flavour. Each to his own, but give it a shot sometime. There are some good marinades that merely enhance flavour and dont add new flavours. Check out my post earlier in this thread as well regarding the acid (pineapple) and the salt (soy)...;)
I have tried it before, I just prefer it my way :)

Also I don't really like salt, spices only (and I usually mix these myself :D).

Also I don't know what meat you buy that you have to make it softer/more tender :p :D

Ps if you guys are lazy Ms Balls have a new ready marinade out... nice smokey wood taste.