Fillet steak

Ps if you guys are lazy Ms Balls have a new ready marinade out... nice smokey wood taste.
Credibility-meter just hit zero and returned a "too low to compute" error. Mrs Balls up should stick to chutney...

:sick:

BTTB

Fillet "Roubaix" Sauce. (Spelling)

500ml - 1 litre Cream
1 Big onion
1 Green Pepper
2 Big Carrots
Punnet of Mushrooms
Garlic to taste
Fresh ground Black Pepper
Tot of Sherry
2 Tablespoons of sugar
Salt to season

Chop vegetable ingredients fine.
Sauté your vegetables in a pan with butter
Add all your wet ingredients
Simmer until sauce is thick

Pfft, have you tried it?

Also please remember we are not all DJK ;)
A man must make his marinade and braai his own meat. Rule number 32 of the "braai like a boer" handbook. :D

And no, I wouldnt want to try it. Do you honestly think that they use wood-chips to give the smokey-flavour? Its imitation hickory that they use. Although I will concede that to make a smokey flavoured marinade is not the easiest thing in the world.

And surely the point of this thread is to learn from everyone else? Heck, I've picked up one or two tips/suggestions already. I'm not belittling you for not going to culinary school, hell I only did it for 6 months, but all I am saying is that there are ways to do things differently and often better - I merely suggested a few. Don't take it personally Beelzebub...:D You take your braaing serisouly - at least you are abiding by rule #2...

A man must make his marinade and braai his own meat. Rule number 32 of the "braai like a boer" handbook. :D

And no, I wouldnt want to try it. Do you honestly think that they use wood-chips to give the smokey-flavour? Its imitation hickory that they use. Although I will concede that to make a smokey flavoured marinade is not the easiest thing in the world.

And surely the point of this thread is to learn from everyone else? Heck, I've picked up one or two tips/suggestions already. I'm not belittling you for not going to culinary school, hell I only did it for 6 months, but all I am saying is that there are ways to do things differently and often better - I merely suggested a few. Don't take it personally Beelzebub...:D You take your braaing serisouly - at least you are abiding by rule #2...

Lol, nha just wish some could read :D Pretty sure I said: "If you are lazy..." :p

Do you guys ever marinate lamb chops? If yes-how/with what?

Also have any of you ever tasted chutney-boerewors?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Lol, nha just wish some could read :D Pretty sure I said: "If you are lazy..." :p

Also have any of you ever tasted chutney-boerewors?
I sometimes use the same one I use for a butterfly'ed leg of lamb - basically greek yogurt, chickpeas, coriander, lemon juice, mint, and garlic . . .

Last edited:

kingmonty

Expert Member
Thanks for the ideas - keep em coming.

Since it's meat related . . on tonight's menu . . . Bwana Burgers™ - big juicy dry rub burgers with dill pickle, Emmental cheese on a toasted garlic Portuguese roll. :)
Don't forget the re-hydrated onions!

I sometimes use the same one I use for a butterfly'ed leg of lamb - basically greek yogurt, chickpeas, coriander, lemon juice and garlic . . .
*drools* -just think I will replace the chickpeas with sundried tamato or some red pepper

Lol, maybe we should have a MyBB cook-off one day :p

I like to make a tzatziki type base, then add whatever flavours I feel like for the day. Its not always mint though. Sometimes mint/coriander combo with cumin, roasted coriander seeds, tamarind, garlic, white wine vinegar, honey and a touch of soy and fish sauce as well (works with lamb too). I use this one for braaing. I leave out the soy, fish sauce and vinegar if I am roasting or frying them as I like to keep the mixture as a sauce - the soy/fish sauce/vinegar dont make for a good sauce with the tzatziki :eek:

Quick tip for lamb: cut an onion in half and rub the open side all over the lamb before adding any additional flavours. It adds incredible flavour if you are braaing it because of the sugars in the onion and its naturally strong flavour which compliments lamb nicely. This works for a leg of lamb too...;)

Another good tip when you make a dressing for a lamb salad (don't hate me Bwana) - is to add a nice sweet rice wine vinegar to the mixture - then dress the salad with this mixture - really, really nice!!!!!

Last edited: