First lawnmower - which one?

Which mower and hedge trimmer would you buy?

• Petrol Mower and Petrol Trimmer (Ryobi, Trimtech etc)

• Electric Mower and Electric Trimmer (Ryobi, Timtech etc)

• Petrol Mower and Electric Trimmer (Ryobi, Trimtech etc)

• Li-ion Cordless Mower (36V) and matching Trimmer (18V) (Ryobi)

Results are only viewable after voting.

neoprema

Executive Member
So I need to buy our first lawnmower and hedge trimmer (always lived in complexes before).
Garden size is approximately 800sqm2 of varying grass and shrubs etc.

Gardener will be using them.

Which would you buy, or what tips do you have? Thanks.

Neptuner

An electric lawnmower can get annoying, I'm referring to that bloody cable!!! I once inadvertently mowed my power cable...

A petrol lawnmower of 140cc and above should be fine for 800m2. A petrol trimmer is no brainer.

I guess petrol makes the experience easier and you'll be mowing right through load shedding.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So I need to buy our first lawnmower and hedge trimmer (always lived in complexes before).

Electric and cordless for the trimmers and hedge trimmers blowers etc if you can afford them. The German ones Stihl is the absolute best.

Forget the crap you buy at makro etc, unless you prepare yourself for a yearly replacement.

maxxis

Expert Member
Stick to the old school brands like Flymo, Southern Cross etc.

Flymo hedge trimmer will outlast a gardener that pulses the poor motor like he is flicking a bean.

B-1

Expert Member
It depends a lot on your gardener. I like the petrol ones but they are more complicated and easier to abuse. With the electric ones you just need a bunch of insulation tape to fix the cord every few weeks.

I have a trimtech mower with briggs and straton motor thats about 10years old and will still last a good while.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
My Magnum electric lawnmower with its locally produced motor has been going now since 1976. Had few dings, an Alumiminum weld repair and plenty of blades but that is all.

Outlasted all the gardeners I had over the years. I abuse the hell out of it. I use it with a special blade I made as a "lawn leveller". It will cut through the toughest weeds and ground even.

maxxis

Expert Member
My Magnum electric lawnmower with its locally produced motor has been going now since 1976. Had few dings, an Alumiminum weld repair and plenty of blades but that is all.

Outlasted all the gardeners I had over the years. I abuse the hell out of it. I use it with a special blade I made as a "lawn leveller". It will cut through the toughest weeds and ground even.

Remember the ads? I think it was Rolux Magnum at one point?

HunterNW

Honorary Master

Buy the cheapest - and buy plenty for backup.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Get the cheapest you can find.

I got this one last time, it's tiny. Thought it was a toy

HunterNW

Honorary Master

Pic ?

Affieplaas

800m2 is a lot of grass for an electric mower/trimmer. Since your gardener will be using them, it may not have an impact on you. If the lawn is around your house you will have to do multiple plug location changes. Extension leads over brick walls is also a bad idea as they won't last long.

I would get a TrimTech petrol lawnmower with at least a 160cc engine (Briggs and Stratton is better that Torx - I have had both) and a Stihl trimmer FS38. You are looking at around R6000 for the combo.

W@P

Expert Member
I would suggest getting a Professional. You can decide electric or petrol. We have about 4 in the family, electric and petrol and they just keep going. Very good chassis

Buy once, cry once