First Time Buyer - newbie

remus786

Expert Member
Hi Guys, I’m an IT guy with no photography background. My company has asked me to purchase 2 cameras for video and stills.

I am based in Durban and cannot find any decent places i can test out equipment.

I also narrowed my choice down to the Canon D550 for stills and the Canon HV20 for video I would have liked a converged unit for both but apparently the DSLR's aren’t able to record for lengthy periods and camcorders don’t do stills as well. I have chosen Canon as I can get this brand slightly discounted and easy support. If there is better out there please let me know.

I will be needing the camcorder asap, so any help with that is highly appreciated. Btw my budget is around R10kish each.

Thanks in advance.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Canon D550 for still for sure! I don't have one - but that's my goal!

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
For the budget conscious the 550D is a great buy but you're right - video is limited to 30 minute SD clips.

remus786

Expert Member
a decent contender on the video side of things might be Canon Vixia HF S11. How is Canon's after sales support and lense pricing in SA?

so you guys reckon the 550D is a good place to start or am i getting ahead of myself here?

Krypty

For the guys that do not know why the video is limited to 4gig or 29 min 59 seconds.

Any longer (30min and up) and it would be considered a video camera (not a still camera) in Europe...resulting in a higher tax for Canon.

By keeping it under 4GB/12 minutes, they can still call it a still camera and avoid that extra cost, which would most likely translate into a higher price tag.
Can you imagine how unhappy the still photographers would be if they had to pay more for a "video" camera that they only wanted to shoot stills with?

remus786

Expert Member
Just a headsup, DionWired is running a special on the Canon HF200 HD camcorder. This looks like some pretty decent hardware

so i settled on the offer from Dion Wired and picking up the 550D on Wednesday. Not a bad camcorder so far, great build quality and priced just right.

Any advice before i pick up the 550D? Should i look at getting lenses etc?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Krypty - maybe not a technical reason too? 4GB is the limit with FAT32 and thought maybe it was something technical?