Five implications of the Consumer Protection Act

fluffy54

Yet again. If someone send me an unsolicited sms who can I report them to so they get fined? Otherwise what is the point.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Yet again. If someone send me an unsolicited sms who can I report them to so they get fined? Otherwise what is the point.
If you read the final CPA on friday it says something along the lines of:
you need to register on some database if you don't want spam. only after that will companies get into trouble.

they also still have to appoint the people the people/company to run the DB....

Beyond that everyone not listed on that DB are free targets between the hours mentioned

ProSMS

you need to register on some database if you don't want spam. only after that will companies get into trouble.

Beyond that everyone not listed on that DB are free targets between the hours mentioned
That is correct. Also if you instruct the sender to stop sending you marketing messages, and they don't, it will also be in breach of the CPA. Unlike the ECT Act, you don't have to take the matter to the court yourself. You can simply lay a complaint with the Consumer Commission who will enforce the CPA on your behalf.

The CPA has no restrictions on the buying and selling of personal data. This will be dealt with in the Protection of Personal Information Bill. This Bill is being watered down has we speak due to lobbying by the DMA. Keep an eye on section 66 of this Bill.

g-d-zilla

The writer of that article requires a real hard slapping from a Grammar Nazi. Imagine putting an apostrophe in plurals, as in "consumer's", "sms'" and "mms'", rather than "consumers", "smses" and "mmses"! Such an idiot.

NowNow

ok...slightly off topic; how does the CPA protect us with regards to software purchases? You know the kind, where you HAVE to accept the EUA that's inside the sealed unit. And if the unit's seal is broken, you cannot return.

Surely that cannot happen now? I understand they are trying to protect against piracy (a nub just copy/returning the store's entire catalogue). But consumer rights have to be > commercial interests? Isn't that the 'spirit' of the new act?

just saying ;)

Venomous

Honorary Master
Where does one find this database ?

As I said before, & I read that in a thread/article here on myBB. Everybody laughed (that responded there) at the fact that the DB has not been set up so in the meantime you can be spammed by these people...