Flash in the pan (Column)

Dolby

Honorary Master
I still think lack of Flash n the 'i' devices was a stupid omission ....

Last edited:

Robocop

Flash was bloated, proprietary and unreliable

I consider all Adobe products to be bloated. They are also invasive, resource hungry and damn hard to get of.

zeely

not really.. can you imagine the backlash of "zOMG apple sucks! My battery life is useless when I play flash games"

and as a double whammy, they get to keep 3rd parties out of their ecosystem

Dolby

Honorary Master
not really.. can you imagine the backlash of "zOMG apple sucks! My battery life is useless when I play flash games"

and as a double whammy, they get to keep 3rd parties out of their ecosystem

Although I was told that Flash made very little difference, I've hit a number of brick walls because of lack of Flash. Luckily there are users in my office that have Android tablets and they could assist.

Now there's 150 million users that haven't had full access to the web cheering because Steve called it right - but they have'nt been able to use what was available for the last 4 years. The dying of Flash isn't instant either - which means it'll be a few more years they'll see these messages.

Almost like buying a car that runs of resources only available on the moon - as petrol is a dying technology and moon resources are the way forward. . For the next 10 years I can't do much with it, but once moon resources become the norm I can start driving.

Then I praise the maker because he called it right - petrol was done away with.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I consider all Adobe products to be bloated. They are also invasive, resource hungry and damn hard to get of.

You mean kinda like iTunes, Quicktime, Bonjour, Safari and the Apple Update program (that gets installed even if you uncheck the box during the installation options) all on the Windows platform? :D

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Now there's 150 million users that haven't had full access to the web cheering because Steve called it right - but they have'nt been able to use what was available for the last 4 years. The dying of Flash isn't instant either - which means it'll be a few more years they'll see these messages.
You realise of course that most of that number also have a computer of some sort and are aware (painfully, if they're Mac owners) of what their "missing" and really dont care?
Almost like buying a car that runs of resources only available on the moon - as petrol is a dying technology and moon resources are the way forward. . For the next 10 years I can't do much with it, but once moon resources become the norm I can start driving.
Buying an iOS device and then moaning about the lack of flash is kind of like buying a petrol engine car and complaining that it doesn't run on diesel. ;)

Dolby

Honorary Master
You realise of course that most of that number also have a computer of some sort and are aware (painfully, if they're Mac owners) of what their "missing" and really dont care?

Perhaps - but in my short time and not being able access some Youtube videos, or stream music before I purchase on Musica, or browse new artists on MySpace.... kinda means lots of the multimedia is unavailable. In that case, I would really call 'i' products multimedia as they're fairly limited

Buying an iOS device and then moaning about the lack of flash is kind of like buying a petrol engine car and complaining that it doesn't run on diesel. ;)

Well - the article is on Flash and Apple was mentioned ... so thought I'd add my 2c :) Nothing wrong with pointing out to iOS n00bs they could be missing a chunk of the internet, I think!

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
You mean kinda like iTunes, Quicktime, Bonjour, Safari and the Apple Update program (that gets installed even if you uncheck the box during the installation options) all on the Windows platform? :D

as well as all those wonderful startup reg entries.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
If I were Adobe I would seize this opportunity to “open source” the platform. By releasing its source code into the wild, it has a hope of keeping it alive in the long term. Adobe has made billions of dollars from Flash over the years. Now it needs to choose which is more important: short term profits or long term sustainability. Let’s hope it chooses the latter.

i fail to see how opening the source will solve the immediate apparent issue of resource consmption on ios devices.
one also gets the feeling that ios simply didn't like adobe because they couldn't get a slice of adobe's pie.

parts of the flash ecosystem are open source anyways:
language: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actionscript
compiler: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flex
data services: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlazeDS

Last edited:

JStrike

Honorary Master

Apple accounts for over 50% of all profits in the mobile arena. It doesn't seem to have hurt them, and its left the web a better place than it was before

Robocop

Exactly... That's why I refuse install any of above mentioned software on ANY of my hardware.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Apple accounts for over 50% of all profits in the mobile arena. It doesn't seem to have hurt them, and its left the web a better place than it was before

It won't hurt them because the majority of iFolk are brain washed ;)

I could rap up some cow turd, label it iManure and the majority would still buy it. You haven't seen my threads with disadvantages? No matter what is brought up, the answer is 'you don't need it', 'it's a dying technology' or 'who cares?'

I'm not limiting to a specific 'i' device - but throughout the current various devices there limitations and flaws, such as lack of USB3, lack of Blu Ray, lack of Flash, lack of miniSD, lack of mini USB, limited App store, limited to 20MB on 3G, 0.7MB camera, unable to create a hotspot, security and download errors in iOS5 and others. Yet for each and everyone there's an answer.

eltherza

Expert Member
Flash had it's time and place. How else do you explain that 95% of all internet enabled PCS have flash? And that some of the biggest sites grew from it [youtube to name one], and is still used today [gmails file uploader is flash]. Over all the impact of flash was a movement forward for the better.

But times are moving on and flash will now need to step aside.