Flight Simulator 2020

carnagelan

So when i run a speedtest i get around 80mbs but on the update it shows at 0.50mbs...any reason. Maybe to many connected to update servers ?

carnagelan

Do the consoles have a developer menu you can access to show system performance?

On PC it's under Options -> General -> Developers -> enable Developer mode
if you on xbox pass on pc you can do it via the pass overlay with windows key and g as the xbox pass has a built in FPS checker

werny

Expert Member
So when i run a speedtest i get around 80mbs but on the update it shows at 0.50mbs...any reason. Maybe to many connected to update servers ?
Yup, overloaded most likely. Both my 100Mbps link and LTE (which is currently around 90Mbps) is crawling along at piss poor speeds with this update, been downloading +- 1h30m and only at 16% now, so this is going to be an overnight download for me. :(

Also not sure why they say it's a 22GB update, but the actual size it shows on the progress bar is 40GB, weird, but to be expected from Microsoft.

carnagelan

Yup, overloaded most likely. Both my 100Mbps link and LTE (which is currently around 90Mbps) is crawling along at piss poor speeds with this update, been downloading +- 1h30m and only at 16% now, so this is going to be an overnight download for me. :(

Also not sure why they say it's a 22GB update, but the actual size it shows on the progress bar is 40GB, weird, but to be expected from Microsoft.
Yup, mine is going to be an over night download. I new i should of bought x-plane when they had the special. Got no other games on my pc

creeper

Executive Member
After the 25GB update that took forever, I played it. Decided to fly in East London and after 10 minutes the game crashed. Pun intended.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
After the update and the loading it could've been less than 10 minutes before I was setting up some changes.

Had a 24 minute flight CPT International down to my house (Blokkies ) and then around Table Mountain and landed at Ysterplaat.

Now I just need to figure out how to invert cockpit camera up and down. It's the worst,without inversion haha.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Yeah it's alright :D

C2B9DB91-84AD-45D5-A25D-8E7FEC1EF667.png

...and then obviously I went and found the houses where I lived and grew up:

0B617C34-BF3C-4D34-8FA7-BD4AF5AD5F7B.jpg

It's the one on the left and it's only half the size of the actual house, but the idea is there I guess - colors are correct :)

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

You Don’t Need To Download All Of Microsoft Flight Sim On Xbox Series X/S - Kotaku​

Flight Sim clocks about 100GB on Xbox, but it can fly just fine at half that size

1627446902371.png

Nearly a year after its PC release, Microsoft Flight Simulator hits cruising altitude on Xbox Series X/S today, where it’s also available via Game Pass.

It’s a staggeringly large game, clocking in at nearly 100GB—and that’s not counting any of the optional “world updates,” which can cause its file size to balloon well beyond that. But you needn’t download the whole thing to get it working on a next-gen Xbox.

Microsoft Flight Simulator comes in two files on Xbox Series X/S, one that includes the game (42.4GB), and one that allows you to play in an offline mode (59.7GB).

You can play the game just fine without that second file, provided you A) have a solid, reliable internet connection and B) don’t have a data cap.

When you first download the game, you’ll get the chance to select, piecemeal, which files you want to put on your console. Or, if you automatically downloaded both and need to remove the latter, just...
  1. Go to the “my games and apps” menu.
  2. Hover over the Microsoft Flight Simulator icon and press the menu button.
  3. Scroll down to “Manage game and add-ons.”
  4. Click on the first option that pops up, which should be a line item listing the game’s name, the version you’ve downloaded, and the total number of “game items” you’ve installed.
  5. You should see two options: one for the game itself, and one for “World - offline mode.” Deselect the latter, then hit “save changes.”
Since Microsoft Flight Sim is a next-gen game, you have to store it internally or on the $200 expansion card.

If you’re rocking an Xbox Series S, which sports just 364GB of internal storage capacity (after you account for space earmarked by the operating system and other system-essential files), Flight Sim takes up about a third of your usable disc space.

On Xbox Series X, it takes up an eighth. In either case, that’s not much room for other kaiju-sized games like Destiny 2 and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Trimming Flight Sim’s file size in half is nothing to sneeze at.

VooDooC

Expert Member

You Don’t Need To Download All Of Microsoft Flight Sim On Xbox Series X/S - Kotaku​

Flight Sim clocks about 100GB on Xbox, but it can fly just fine at half that size

View attachment 1115594

Yep that's an option, but if you have a hiccup in your internet connection, you can't fly but then again do you really want to fly if the scenery looks like crap in offline mode?

Pegasus

Executive Member
After the update and the loading it could've been less than 10 minutes before I was setting up some changes.

Had a 24 minute flight CPT International down to my house (Blokkies ) and then around Table Mountain and landed at Ysterplaat.

Now I just need to figure out how to invert cockpit camera up and down. It's the worst,without inversion haha.
Was that you in the C 130?

Brawler

Honorary Master
Had a quick flight on the Series S this morning. Really not too shabby and quite impressive considering how this game moers my PC with a i7 8700 and RTX 3060. Obviously can see a bit of a drop in visual fidelity but you have to look for it and you really don't notice it if you fly at normalish altitudes. The problem is most of us use it as a sight seeing simulator.

PC version is a bit borked. Previous updates would start when trying to launch the game. Now when launching it says it needs to be updated in MS store. Open MS store and it does not see any updates available.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft Flight Simulator PC update offers massive performance improvements - Techradar​

The PC version of Microsoft Flight Simulator, recently ported to Xbox Series X, just got a big update on your computer

1627465812262.png

There's a big Microsoft Flight Simulator PC update, and it's almost as if last year's ground-breaking flight sim PC game is determined not to be overshadowed by the news the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles versions just launched.

Microsoft Flight Simulator remains one of the most graphically demanding PC titles ever.

While gamers’ reactions to highly anticipated games can grow distorted and polarized, the flight sim’s 2020 release elicited memories of the Crysis launch in 2007.

Gamers with medium-to-high-end PCs that can run other modern games on "Ultra" settings reported defaulting to a mere "Medium" on the highly taxing title.

Today’s PC update should help remedy those issues. The patch offers "significant performance improvements to make the experience more seamless," according to developer Asobo.

These tweaks include much better multi-core processor support, memory and GPU usage, and loading times. The patch also reduces stutters significantly.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Anyone have an issue with ATC? When voice is on either azure or Offline, you can hear your requests and see the text in the ATC menu but there are no response from the ATC in either voice or text. As soon as you turn voice off, you can see both your own replies and that of the ATC. It just happened all of a sudden, nothing changed in my settings.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Well this was a disappointment..

Flew to the Angel Falls and the satellite image on Google Maps is more exciting :(

BC2CF002-6B89-4F3F-8F2F-EA0EF8C2DF05.png

Niagara Falls look okay though. Hopefully they'll fix the Angel Falls one day.

B3E766EF-2119-4CAE-8852-A157AD39F854.png

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I haven't bothered yet, as the only reasonable (and still really not enough to play it lekker) piece of kit I have is my work laptop.
And I'm not in the mood to irk our IT guys if they do get to snooping around to see what's loaded on it :p

27 July can't come soon enough for the console version!

IT generally won’t mind anything that came from the Microsoft Store.