Flight Simulator 2020

werny

Expert Member
Damn, servers seems to be overloaded... When I open Flight Sim it just says "Online services unreachable", I have Fibre and LTE, both doing the same thing. :mad:

Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow morning.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Damn, servers seems to be overloaded... When I open Flight Sim it just says "Online services unreachable", I have Fibre and LTE, both doing the same thing. :mad:

Woah, that sucks.

Hopefully it'll come back when others are done.

Voicy

Honorary Master

Is this after you've downloaded the game?

When you play online there's usually 4-5 servers to choose from, geographically spread.

werny

Expert Member
Is this after you've downloaded the game?

When you play online there's usually 4-5 servers to choose from, geographically spread.
Downloaded the game long ago, this is just for the update.

I've left the "download manager" screen open now and eventually after 10 mins it showed the available 40GB update, started the download but it's going k@k slow, tried both my 100Mbps link, and LTE (around 90Mbps), both slow. Will try downloading overnight.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Menus seem to be bugged, overlapping buttons, training menu doesn't work can't choose any of the training, and it takes a moer of a long time to load the game. This is on series X

TopChefGotit

Menus seem to be bugged, overlapping buttons, training menu doesn't work can't choose any of the training, and it takes a moer of a long time to load the game. This is on series X
yikes, checking my game in a few minutes

VooDooC

Expert Member
Restarted the game to see if it fixes the menu bug, now it just sits on the load screen for almost 15 minutes now. Not sure if the load screen is dependant on the servers and the load on them, haven't had this issue on the pc though

Edit: Yeah so the game is definitely bonked, tons of people on twitter complaining the game won't launch after the 26gb update on Xbox and pc. MS is busy trying to fix it.

If it's a client error, that means another patch so no playing tonight.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I'm up to 21GB down and my download speed is all over the place now. Even as low as 1mbps

Let's hope its done before 2130 and I can try and get a mini session in before work.

Though the long wait times and issues from the X Series post above isn't too pleasing to hear about.

Anyway...

TopChefGotit

I am in, long loading screen after choosing settings and stuff.

nvm, the last loading screen is stuck at full percentage ...

TopChefGotit

Restarted the game to see if it fixes the menu bug, now it just sits on the load screen for almost 15 minutes now. Not sure if the load screen is dependant on the servers and the load on them, haven't had this issue on the pc though

Edit: Yeah so the game is definitely bonked, tons of people on twitter complaining the game won't launch after the 26gb update on Xbox and pc. MS is busy trying to fix it.

If it's a client error, that means another patch so no playing tonight.
I am in right now, flying (Series X)

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Luckily my wife and family got in the way of me trying to play tonight :ROFL:

But it's usually like this though.

If the servers really are taking strain it's not good advertisement for Azure and Akamai.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Sorted the menu bug. So it took my default settings from pc, the only way to fix it is by either logging into the game on pc and reset the controller to default, or plug in a mouse on the Xbox and then set controller to default.

carnagelan

im on Rain 5g and my speed is normally about 122mbs download. My wife is watching Olympics so i am busy updating it as about 11mbs :( 40.29gb update for me

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft Flight Simulator on PC now has huge performance improvements - The Verge​

The bump in performance is impressive

1627407921546.png

Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting its biggest update ever on PC today, thanks to a new patch that delivers significant performance improvements.

The game has been notoriously demanding since its launch last year, but the team behind the simulator has been focusing heavily on improving its CPU and memory usage.

PC players can now go ahead and download the latest update, and it should improve frame rates across a variety of hardware.

Overall, the game now feels a lot smoother with less random fps drops than before. It should also be a lot more playable on a wider range of hardware as a result.

Asobo, the developer of Microsoft Flight Simulator, demonstrated the game running on an older system with an Intel Core i7-9700K and an RTX 2060 Super earlier this month.

Microsoft Flight Simulator jumped from around 30fps to nearly a solid 60fps on this PC with the patch, and CPU and memory utilization also dropped significantly.

“We have rewritten a lot of the parts of the engine ... in order to get the maximum performance out of the sim,” explained Asobo CEO Sebastian Wloch earlier this month. The team has been mainly working on CPU optimizations, and it’s clearly worked out well.

This has all been achieved without a move to DirectX 12, too. While a DirectX 12 version of Microsoft Flight Simulator launches on Xbox Series X / S today, the PC version will remain on DirectX 11. That leaves the door open for even more potential improvements in the future.

The upcoming move to DirectX 12 will also allow Asobo to introduce ray tracing in the game. Effects should include better water, improved shadows, and the usual reflections that are found in ray-traced games. Asobo has not yet confirmed when Microsoft Flight Simulator will move to DirectX 12 on PC.

“All the performance improvements come from just improving the simulator,” confirmed Wloch earlier this month. “PC has not yet moved to DirectX 12, the team is still working on it. It may bring improvements further, or not.”

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Download done on the Series S. Installation manager doing its thing.
At the assists menu.