Flight Simulator 2020

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
A bunch of PC players actually play the game using an Xbox controller.

I'm sure they've got the menus and things sorted out for it.
I've used controllers for flight sims on pc forever, keyboard and mouse for navigating menu's and commands I don't have space for on the controller.
x360ce makes it super easy with games that have xbox controller support by default, no need to do any setup or calibrations in game.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Thanks for, will remain a pipe dream. I need stronger CPU and GPU. Damn.

What are your specs?

These are mine and even though I run the terrain gfx on low, the plane and cockpit and overall experience is still top notch. I sometimes even stream and it works just fine:

* Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
* 32,0 GB
* 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
* GTX 960 GPU

Pay no attention to the 32GB ram...the most important thing for the game is running it off an SSD...AAAAND they're releasing a major patch on the 27th that'll increase performance by around 60%. Theyre focussing on better CPU core utilization.

Segg

Expert Member
You're not alone. A lot of people were "fooled" by this, but yes, they rolled out the download so the servers wouldn't get hugged to death on the 27th.

Yeah on page 15 I posted a pic of my approach with into King Shaka intl in "loadshedding" mode. :D

I'm REALLY looking forward to the Xbox community joining us on flight sim. I've spent so much time on this already and loving every minute of it.

I'll leave you guys with this:

Every new flight simmer immediately jumps into the biggest boeing they can find ... but the longer they play, the more they "downgrade" to single engine bush planes.

I'm currently spending most of my time in the Spitfire and the Goose, but always enjoy IFR flying on the Airbus A320:

View attachment 1112924

View attachment 1112930

I use FSX to practice ILS and VOR/DME approaches, MS flight simulator programs are actually quite decent with it. I need to do a DME Arc one of these days :D

Is PMDG still issuing aircraft for FS2020? The extra technicalities from their models are good fun.

Saying that though, the joy of hand flying small planes is still right up there!

mr_norris

Expert Member
Thank you for the reply. What price am I looking at for a used PC that meets the recommended requirements. I am going to convince my wife I need it.

What are the minimum specs?

I have targeted 1080p 30 FPS at medium settings on my dad's pc. I had previously built it for FSX so I had to upgrade the GPU.

Specs are as follows:

* Ryzen 2400G APU (previously used the iGPU to run FSX but it won't cut it for new flight Sim. It's kind of a low end quad core but I can't see any evidence that upgrading to a second hand 2600 will show much improvement. Maybe in the patch coming this week it'll be more optimised for multi core)
* 8GB ram. This is a tough one. It runs but it chows everything. Second hand prices for 16GB are still a bit high but I definitely want to upgrade this
* GTX 1650 Super. It does the job. My only gripe is the 4GB vram. 6 or 8 would have been better. I got it for an ok price brand new between the two big crypto crazes.

For the most part it sticks to the 30FPS limit will. In heavy scenery it dips. Running the game on old hardware is certainly doable but you can't be shy with sacrificing settings.

If I were starting from nothing, I'd do what someone else suggested with a Series S. It's serious bang for buck. Especially a second hand one.

If I were buying for myself, Series X all the way :D

Drifter

Honorary Master
What are your specs?

These are mine and even though I run the terrain gfx on low, the plane and cockpit and overall experience is still top notch. I sometimes even stream and it works just fine:

* Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
* 32,0 GB
* 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
* GTX 960 GPU

Pay no attention to the 32GB ram...the most important thing for the game is running it off an SSD...AAAAND they're releasing a major patch on the 27th that'll increase performance by around 60%. Theyre focussing on better CPU core utilization.
Hi

i5 - 3750 3570 3.4Ghz
16 MB Ram
Win 10 64 Bit
Geforce GTX 660-Ti Overclock 2GB Ram

ponder

Honorary Master
16MB ram won't do it.

They've optimised the engine and the ram usage dropped drastically, we'll see this in the next update. At 4k ultra in NY entire system ram usage is <16GB. cpu usage will also be lower.

I reinstalled the sim last night in anticipation of the next update...

Ivan Leon

Executive Member

Microsoft Flight Simulator is an impressive Xbox Series X workout - The Verge​

It’s out on Xbox Game Pass tomorrow

1627297993455.png

Microsoft Flight Simulator is essentially the same proposition on Xbox as it is on PC, offering players the chance to pilot a variety of aircraft around a beautifully rendered version of our planet.

The tutorials have been tweaked a little, with a series of shorter missions that should make it easier to get up to speed, and the various commands have been mapped to the Xbox controller in a straightforward, accessible way.

You can make the flight model just as complex as the PC version if you want, although right now there aren’t a lot of Xbox-compatible flight stick options.

On the Series X, Flight Simulator runs at 4K resolution and targets 30 frames per second. The frame rate isn’t perfectly smooth — you can drop below 30 when flying low in dense areas like downtown Manhattan, for example, and that’s noticeable.

Graphical settings are broadly comparable to what you’d get on a good gaming PC, if not quite at the top of the line. The game consistently looks stunning when you’re high in the air, and any seams in the experience are only really apparent when flying close to the ground.

As for the Series S, the results are impressive for a tiny $299 box. The game runs at 1080p with reduced graphical effects and draw distances, but as you’ll see from the video, it delivers a solid Flight Simulator experience and will be by far the cheapest way to achieve it.

Microsoft Flight Simulator has improved a lot since its launch last year, with “world updates” that expand the more detailed photogrammetry data further across the globe.

That’s all there in the Xbox version, too, including the most recent Nordics update that includes hand-rendered airports and points of interest across Scandinavia, Iceland, and Finland.

(It’s also worth noting that the PC version is getting a further update this week that Microsoft promises should dramatically improve performance across the board — stay tuned for how that works in practice.)

Ivan Leon

Executive Member

Turtle Beach’s first gamepad pairs its audio expertise with great ergonomics - Engadget​

1627298457208.png

Each gaming accessory company has one thing they do well, like Corsair and its keyboards or Razer’s line of mice.

Turtle Beach is known as a premium headset manufacturer, but that hasn’t stopped it from expanding its offerings, starting with its very first gamepad, the Recon Controller. And it happily still incorporates the company’s audio expertise.

It’s a wired controller compatible with Xbox Series X|S and One as well as Windows 10.

Ivan Leon

Executive Member

MS Flight Simulator on consoles: Finally, a next-gen game for Xbox Series X/S - Ars Technica​

1627299027583.png
"Discovery" flights, a brand-new MSFS feature in its console version, begin in mid-air in scenic locales with pre-populated weather and lighting settings. All of them are a visual treat. The following gallery was captured in real-time on Xbox Series X.

When I think of the history of game consoles, I think of flight simulators.

Nintendo in particular has leveraged the "Pilotwings" name not once, not twice, but thrice to show off brand-new tech over various generations. I have long loved that approach.

Pilotwings games err on the side of minimal challenge and maximum relaxation, arguably to let players calmly absorb the newest 3D-rendering tricks of each era.

I think about that strategy now because Microsoft Flight Simulator is launching on Xbox Series X/S this week.

Since it's roughly eight months out from those consoles' launches, it doesn't count as a "launch" game. But Microsoft Flight Simulator is honestly the first true "next-gen" first-party console game in Xbox's latest era.

Part of that next-gen quality is because this game, unlike other first-party fare, has no "backwards compatibility" path to the older Xbox One family.

It doesn't take long to realize why. After a tremendous launch on PCs last year, MSFS has now emerged as a living room game with an emphasis on relaxed, Pilotwings-like trips across the entire globe.

In good news, it sets a new bar for 3D rendering performance on consoles, and it stands head and shoulders above all other console games at this time.

But its PC heritage lingers in the form of some clunkiness. Flight-sim novices—particularly those who claim the game as part of their Game Pass subscriptions—should brace themselves for control- and interface-related turbulence.

(Read the full review at the link below)

Hamster

Resident Rodent
After work...but the in laws wants to phone and we have to be up early so if I get 30min of game time I'd be lucky :(

carnagelan

I have targeted 1080p 30 FPS at medium settings on my dad's pc. I had previously built it for FSX so I had to upgrade the GPU.

Specs are as follows:

* Ryzen 2400G APU (previously used the iGPU to run FSX but it won't cut it for new flight Sim. It's kind of a low end quad core but I can't see any evidence that upgrading to a second hand 2600 will show much improvement. Maybe in the patch coming this week it'll be more optimised for multi core)
* 8GB ram. This is a tough one. It runs but it chows everything. Second hand prices for 16GB are still a bit high but I definitely want to upgrade this
* GTX 1650 Super. It does the job. My only gripe is the 4GB vram. 6 or 8 would have been better. I got it for an ok price brand new between the two big crypto crazes.

For the most part it sticks to the 30FPS limit will. In heavy scenery it dips. Running the game on old hardware is certainly doable but you can't be shy with sacrificing settings.

If I were starting from nothing, I'd do what someone else suggested with a Series S. It's serious bang for buck. Especially a second hand one.

If I were buying for myself, Series X all the way :D
I am running the same processor with 16gb ram and a rtx 580(8gb) i also range about 30fps, sometimes it dips to 25 on med settings